Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 378344 times)

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Killllllllll FRENZY!]
« Reply #1830 on: September 17, 2013, 01:28:23 am »

Bear in mind that starting with a word does not necessarily include starting with a translation of it. Toaster mentioned a few spare starting turns to science and make equipment, implying not all words will be known at start.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: September 17, 2013, 01:58:44 am »

Physical characters are useless.
What Nahere said.

Also, what Toaster said still applies. A 38 word Awemedinade Dragon that is transformed from a physical character will still probably destroy the same dragon that is a mage.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: September 17, 2013, 07:31:12 am »

Yeah, if I gave you starting words, they'd be more Steel and Helmet and less Control and Arcane.  You'd have to science out the big stuff, and it may be tricky to do so if some muscular fellow keeps bashing your skull in with a club.

Will has some built in limiters.  See:

Hmm... I wonder.

Modified Science.

[will:1+2]
[john will:3]

Both you and john spasm violently and collapse to the ground with terrible headaches.

And that was a tie.  Failing the opposed roll is bad- doing so badly is worse, and may even allow the control to flow the other way.

If it became a real problem, I could just either nerf the scope of its effect (so a bigger action would take longer) or sim in some sort of "will points" that wears you out the more you mentally command things.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1833 on: September 17, 2013, 07:47:41 am »

Yeah, if I gave you starting words, they'd be more Steel and Helmet and less Control and Arcane.  You'd have to science out the big stuff, and it may be tricky to do so if some muscular fellow keeps bashing your skull in with a club.

Will has some built in limiters.  See:

Hmm... I wonder.

Modified Science.

[will:1+2]
[john will:3]

Both you and john spasm violently and collapse to the ground with terrible headaches.

And that was a tie.  Failing the opposed roll is bad- doing so badly is worse, and may even allow the control to flow the other way.

If it became a real problem, I could just either nerf the scope of its effect (so a bigger action would take longer) or sim in some sort of "will points" that wears you out the more you mentally command things.
Actually, you dont need to do opposed rolls, you can just create a earthquake under him, or a blackhole that only affects that person.
Either ways, will itself can be used to increase will, which gives you an extra +1(You can get more if you sacrifice other stats, so you can sacrifice useless strenght to get more). You can use marks to get +2. With 6 Will points that makes +4, and you still have three four points for channeling. (Note, im speaking about Perplexicon rules, since those are the only we know so far, we dont know exactly how will may work in here)
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: September 17, 2013, 07:58:14 am »

It all becomes a problem when you have someone with a +5 or more. But to be fair, that's the case with anything in RtD systems. It's just that Will has the distinction of something that doesn't require much interaction with other skills, and can also be something that most people don't have a lot of points in.

Speaking of the RtD limitations (not really), has anyone here played Fate Core? Because I've heard of it as a system that is also simple to learn, but provides great sense of progression and uniqueness. And is not broken.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: September 17, 2013, 08:00:04 am »

I've never heard of it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1836 on: September 17, 2013, 08:09:07 am »

It all becomes a problem when you have someone with a +5 or more. But to be fair, that's the case with anything in RtD systems. It's just that Will has the distinction of something that doesn't require much interaction with other skills, and can also be something that most people don't have a lot of points in.

Speaking of the RtD limitations (not really), has anyone here played Fate Core? Because I've heard of it as a system that is also simple to learn, but provides great sense of progression and uniqueness. And is not broken.

The ploblem with will is that you can literally do ANYTHING with it, as long as you have the materials. And materials can be easily obtained, or you can for example not convert stone into steel, but make a stone steel hard and diamond sharp, then shape it as an sword, while it being light as a feather in weight. And will can also heal way easier than normal magic, plus you can use will to change your stats at any time. Oh look! A blackhole and i dont have blackhole control, but i have bone control! Ill make my own bones heavier increasing my strenght while reducing my speed and dext! Oh wait look! An impossible to avoid spell! Ill reduce my speed and max my endurance! Oh look, an army of creatures comes at me! Ill reduce all my stats except will and control them all while exploding the brains of enemy persons!

Will replaces all the other stats and upgrades them. (Except pool, which any person should have atleast three of). Also, trust me, if you suddenly get control word in middle of a game, and had somewhat amount of will from before, there is no force that is gonna stop you except tons of luck. Use it to attack the player with most souls and make his bones explode, then use all his souls to further get more will, then just spawn kill everyone to get more souls on will.
There will be a point of in where people wont simply be able to start with enough will to kill whoever did that, but the other stats will be useless agaisnt him too.

Only way to protect you from direct will attacks would be imbue yourself with Dispel Magic, but circles are not in this game, thus you cant. And even if you could, they can still do stuff like creating swords of stone and firing them at you, or moving all the air around you away so you cant breathe.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: September 17, 2013, 09:01:37 am »

Will isn't going to let you completely break physics.  Some amount of conservation of mass will still apply.  Willing yourself stronger will make you slower, and things like that.  Converting one material to another entirely is outside the scope of will.

Also, will changes aren't instant.  It's not going to help you if a black hole opens up right next to you, for example.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1838 on: September 17, 2013, 09:14:19 am »

Will isn't going to let you completely break physics.  Some amount of conservation of mass will still apply.  Willing yourself stronger will make you slower, and things like that.  Converting one material to another entirely is outside the scope of will.

Also, will changes aren't instant.  It's not going to help you if a black hole opens up right next to you, for example.
I do know that to win stats you must sacrifice other, and you dont convert stuff, you just give qualities to things that dont normally have them. And i dont know about Pit of Magic, but in Perplexicon if you had control of it and good enough will rolls you could instantly shut down black holes.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: September 17, 2013, 09:23:15 am »

Sazrael, I feel like you're focusing too much on how it was in Perplexicon, and not enough on how it should work.

We're not creating an exact clone of Perplexicon, we're designing a new game based on Perplexicon. If you are telling the truth about how the system worked in the original Perplexicon, and I'm assuming you are, then it wasn't a very good or balanced system. And if Toaster was Piecewise, then I would straight up tell him that it needs to be changed.

So please, and I hate to be direct, but please stop bringing up how stuff worked in the original Perplexicon as a source. It isn't always something to be followed, and it's at the point of stifling discussion about how things should work. We can't (for example) talk about the usability of physical characters based on how they worked then.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: September 17, 2013, 09:25:02 am »

I do know that to win stats you must sacrifice other, and you dont convert stuff, you just give qualities to things that dont normally have them. And i dont know about Pit of Magic, but in Perplexicon if you had control of it and good enough will rolls you could instantly shut down black holes.

((I am under the impression that an artifact that controls black holes must have a black hole somewhere within its construction. As such, it would rapidly collapse on itself, leaving only a black hole where it once was, yes? All black hole items made so far have followed this principle.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 17, 2013, 09:26:01 am »

I dont recall anyone ever shutting down a black hole with a will roll let alone as an instant reaction.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:02 am »

Also, not waiting any more for The Ensorceler.  If he hasn't gotten a character done in ~24 hours, he gets bounced to AWOL status and the next person goes in.

"What ho! Greetings, fair maiden! I will now attempt SCIENCE to amaze you!

"Colatica Esperseli Podoinde! You have a gift!
"Ixiestell Ridenetali Ousne! And now a fair pet for thee!"

You attempt to impress a small girl with magic.

[Pot:4]  You conjure up a chest-high plastic wall.  You're not sure she is impressed.

[Pot:3]  Awww, a puppy!  Its consistency is odd and best described as liquid wind, but who cares, puppy!  It yips cheerfully.

Puppy!

Point in pool. Irros Fircerain, then use my new whip to kill that other dude who attacked me.
Balls.

[Joseph Spd:5]
[Hapah Spd:1-1]

Joseph roars in delight over the death.

[Pot:2+1]  A small rift cracks open, and a snaky tentacle comes out.  The rift snaps shut, leaving the tentacle behind.  It's certainly whiplike, but it's awfully short.  Joseph grabs it anyway.

[End:4-1]  Joseph can feel barbs sinking into his flesh as he grabs the whip.  The whispers from it join the chorus in his head.

He charges Hapah, brandishing the whip.

[Joseph Dex:5-1]
[Hapah Dex:1-1]

[Joseph Str:2-1]

Hapah just stares dumbly as the attack comes.  If Joseph had put any actual force behind it, it probably would have messed him up.  Instead, Hapah snaps out of it and snaps out a spell.

[Hapah Pot:5+2]

[Joseph End:2-1]

Hapah unleashes a blinding flash of electrical discharge.  It arcs directly into Joseph, who convulses several times and collapses to the ground, smoldering and decaying into ash.

[Joseph is dead.  Hapah gains two points.]

PMed words!

You speak your words.

[Pot:3]  Magical ley lines weakly cross your body.  They fail to join together before they all burn off in a burst of magical energy.

Your body erodes away, replaced with an airy windy medium.  You're still in one piece though, somehow staying together.

You test out your new form by running to the spike room.   Awww, lookit the puppy!

PMed NEW STATS!
PMed MASTER PLAN!

You chill out and feel the power.  Oh yeeeah.

Improve self, then focus!

You, like many others before you, tap your inner Saiyan.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tame the moose

"Nice giant steel moose.  Do you want to be my friend?"

It ignores you.  Perhaps you should be more specific on method?

Anyway, if the moose fails, that puppy is pretty cute.

The Ensorceler's wavy existence flickers.  Without form, it will be gone very shortly.

Outcast Wizard poofs into being in the north side of the cavern.  Why is he an outcast?  Must be a good reason if he ended up here.

Quote from: Players
Unholy_Pariah:  Outcast Wizard - North edge, Cavern (2 Pool)
Bigf00t: Bigf01t - East entrance, Bottomless Pit (6 Pool, Body is arcane field over steel core) (6)
GreatWyrmGold: Science Man - West side, Spike Room (6 Pool)
The Ensorceler:  ??? - Southeast side, Grand Room (?? Pool)
Tomcost: Jabon - East side, Spike Room (3 Pool, Body is air)
Hapah:  Hapah - East ledge, Grand Room (1/2 Pool) (3)
Harry Baldman:  Tod-6 - South of center, Cavern (3 Pool, Body is greenish liquid) (14)
Scapheap: Clair - East side, Spike Room (3 Pool)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: September 17, 2013, 09:36:36 am »

Continue.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: September 17, 2013, 09:40:36 am »

I can tell you now that in Pit, in the time you have to not get sucked into a black hole, you won't be able to make the change.  For less instant (but still fast) attacks, you may get a speed roll to attempt the change.  Fail that and you're stuck as is.

((I am under the impression that an artifact that controls black holes must have a black hole somewhere within its construction. As such, it would rapidly collapse on itself, leaving only a black hole where it once was, yes? All black hole items made so far have followed this principle.))

Yes, it must have black hole involved somewhere in its construction.  All attempts thus far have failed, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

That said, just because you can control them, doesn't mean you can just create them.  (I realize this makes for some horrible physics implications, but let's just ignore physics for this one word.)
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 198