Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 378085 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Urist Lamkalallibash]
« Reply #2145 on: September 23, 2013, 03:38:41 pm »

Any chance you lot can take this somewhere else? Reading pages of posts that boil down to "Nuh uh" and "Uh huh!" isn't particularly entertaining for, well, anyone.
The idea was to take this to Perpublicon, but seeing how i was the last dude to post there and i dont want to double post :P and also, that you cant understand the beauty of such a debate is not my ploblem. Who knows, perhaps it could save your life someday to know the weakness of some of those spells.

It's not really a beautiful debate. To be frank, it's getting extremely annoying, as it is based purely on hypotheticals, "nuh-uh" and "uh-huh" sounds on both sides, and, in my case, not being able to leave a completely pointless conversation well enough alone due to a lapse in personal judgment.

So yeah, probably best to go over to the Perpublicon thread if you want to argue all this, because it's extremely tangential to the Pit of Magic.

But I like pointing out that Sarzael lied!

You see, this right here is why this isn't really a debate at all. It's essentially a bunch of people pushing their own personal interpretations of rules that are extremely vague at best on each other. It's not really contributing anything at all. To anything.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2146 on: September 23, 2013, 03:39:29 pm »

Not indestructible but very hard to destroy, atleast.
Whole-Body Fast Agile Arcane-Energy Dispel/Drain/Absorb Magic.
"Bwa ha ha! I am now invulnerable to all kinds of attacks! Wait, what's happening to my body?"
And that is how Sarzael absorbed himself to death.
Or we could throw big objects at you and watch the massive explosions tear you apart--being able to generate explosions with a touch does not mean that you are immune to explosions.
Or we could just encase you in something like a repulsive-energy-steel cage. Who cares if you're alive, if you can't do anything?
Or we could find a nonmagical, nonmaterial attack. Or, depending on how the Dispel Magic Body spell works, we might just be able to take control of your mind or body and go from there.

One spell: black hole.
Dispel Magic, remember? The blackhole would shut down, if it works as i think. Just look at Null Sword. Any magic, wether it be a fireball, or a arcane beam dissapeared in contact with it. So unless an army of people decides to jump at me until all my arcane energies goes off it would be kinda hard to hurt me.
Assuming that the black hole/attractive force/whatever attracts with not magic, and doesn't use magic to generate the attractive force (and that Myxidia isn't just a wormhole to a vacuum which draws you in via suction or something like that), you would also need to be completely immune to magic instead of just being able to "turn off" the magic. Oh, and you need to survive.
In short, that requires a number of assumptions to be true.

Blackhole plan? Either ways i think i may have the way to form a stable (Non dissapearing) blackhole and maximize his potential making it dangerous for enemies but safe for yourself.
I doubt it.

I don't think you'd get a speed roll at that point, just an endurance one.
Yeah, you ca't exactly dodge the ceiling.

-snip-
You dont seem to realize most of what i have been speaking of.
Just like you don't seem to realize much of ours!

And unless that giant puddle of mercury is natural it will simply dissapear when you get nearby due to Dispel Magic.
Once you summon something, it has ontological inertia. And wouldn't the quicksilver reflect the dispelling magic?

You can start with 6 Points on channeling and three on some other stats you think you will need, personally i would take speed or dext.
Congratulations! You now have -1 to the rolls stopping you from dying when you get hit!

Thearpox: +2 to Endurance is also nice. And you can get a speed roll to kill the person who would cause the cavein before he actually does it.
Where would you get the +2 to End?
And you know that caveins can be done by surprise or from far away, right? We've got a dwarf--give him five rocks and a good payment, and we'll have a cave-in trap before you can say...well, the full name of titin, certainly.

Any chance you lot can take this somewhere else? Reading pages of posts that boil down to "Nuh uh" and "Uh huh!" isn't particularly entertaining for, well, anyone.
[/quote]
You dont seem to understand how Dispel Magic works at all. It dispels incoming magic, not internal magic. You wont dispel yourself, just things coming. And yes, you could throw big objects to me, thats what extra dexterity and speed is for, helping avoid. And magic projectiles (Fireball, or plain metal casted by magic) will dissapear. And using Base Perplexicon, Dispel Magic makes you immune to all kinds of magic except marks, that includes will. And Repulsive-Energy-Steel cage would dissapear as soon as i get close.

Think of Null Sword. I would be just like that but in whole body. A fireball comes towards me? It dissapears without harm. You could take down the ceiling, again, thats what dext and speed are there for. Not invulnerable, but way harder to kill.

And quicksilver only reflects Arcane Energy, not magic dispelling, thus it would dissapear.

I dont need endurance and strenght: Arcane energy doesnt need strenght rolls to explode stuff, and theres no point on resisting stuff if you hardly get hit (Magic immune, except for Marks) and extra dexterity.

+2 Endurance would be what you get from overdriving 6 channeling.

And you can say *If person gets nearby, overdrive 3 speed (Would make either +2 or +3 depending on normal stats) and chances are he will explode or you are atleast able to get out of there.

Finally, in case i was wrong, thats not lieing, is called being wrong. And im pretty sure im not, perhaps in Pit of Magic, but im speaking about Perplexicon base, with gods, circles and open world.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 23, 2013, 03:41:05 pm »

Perplexicon Base doesn't exist as a game anymore, and probably never will. Revisions have taken place, even in Pit.

Stop talking about it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:44:49 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 23, 2013, 03:43:40 pm »

Sarzael, this can't be good for your thoughts or clear headedness. Are you sure you don't want to just stop? Not even taking it to another thread or PMs, but leaving without a word until your turn comes up.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2149 on: September 23, 2013, 03:48:11 pm »

Perplexicon Base doesn't exist as a game anymore, and probably never will. Revisions have taken place, even in perpublicon.

Stop talking about it.
I know of atleast three games with Perplexicon Base/Near Base.
And i like to discuss good strategies no one considered.

Nivim: Why should i? While i agree with going to Perpublicon (A better thread to discuss Perp-Base), i wont post there until someone else does first.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: September 23, 2013, 03:49:53 pm »

Nivim: Why should i? While i agree with going to Perpublicon (A better thread to discuss Perp-Base), i wont post there until someone else does first.
BLAH

EDIT: not double posting
MORE BLAH

EDIT: not triple posting either
EVEN MORE BLAH

EDIT: nope, no quad-posts for me
HERE, HAVE SOME MORE BLAH
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:53:53 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 23, 2013, 04:03:34 pm »

It's not really a beautiful debate. To be frank, it's getting extremely annoying, as it is based purely on hypotheticals, "nuh-uh" and "uh-huh" sounds on both sides, and, in my case, not being able to leave a completely pointless conversation well enough alone due to a lapse in personal judgment.
But hypotheticals are fun...okay.

You see, this right here is why this isn't really a debate at all. It's essentially a bunch of people pushing their own personal interpretations of rules that are extremely vague at best on each other. It's not really contributing anything at all. To anything.
[/quote]
A joke I was attempting to make is why this isn't a debate?

Anyways...moved to Perpublicon. Let's see Sar's response.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 23, 2013, 04:06:13 pm »

Ahhh, the peace of getting exploded and mangled without discussions, just like the old days. (Or that's what would say a Perplexicon veteran)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 23, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »

Thank you to all involved parties!

(Hapah gains Diplomacy +1)

Ahhh, the peace of getting exploded and mangled without discussions, just like the old days. (Or that's what would say a Perplexicon veteran)
I'm not against all discussions, though! It's just that the ongoing one had a tone and flavor that didn't really fit here, I think.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 23, 2013, 07:34:23 pm »

While we wait, let me remind the players that when you use magic, your stance, gestures, and thoughts may influence the outcome of your spell.  If you're shooting for something, be specific and you may be more likely to get it.

Really oddball combos may require a perfect 5 roll to get exactly what you want.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 23, 2013, 10:50:08 pm »

((Well, as this is a different game, I don't want to think in Perplexicon terms. And, considering how the aliens are able to cast magic, the word has already been discovered, or you don't need it to make a humanoid cast magic.))
BigFoot discovered the true Magic word, or apparently seems so considering last turn he summoned a wooden table imbued in MAGIC (Not Octarine), and he also summoned the Replicators.
And as i said, im actually speaking on Perplexicon concepts for this kind of spells. Many of the concepts of Perplexicon work similar in here though, so some should work.
BTW, the word that gave my Alien Replicator friends magic... is NOT the same word that made my lightshow wooden plank. (O_o)
I still don't know what the plank does.

I could become indestructible with 6 Words...

I bet you can't.
THE AUTHORITY HAS SPOKEN!  ;D

Oh heck, *I'M* one of these people!

I HAVE A SUGGESTION! INSTEAD OF "DEBATING", WHY NOT SCIENCE! PIT YOUR WILLS AGAINST EACH OTHER IN THE PIT OF DEATH!
((Dat argument.))

EDIT:
While we wait, let me remind the players that when you use magic, your stance, gestures, and thoughts may influence the outcome of your spell.  If you're shooting for something, be specific and you may be more likely to get it.

Really oddball combos may require a perfect 5 roll to get exactly what you want.
... Now I feel like an idiot wasting all of those turns on random magical effects. Why did I not do this?
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 24, 2013, 09:10:28 am »

((Hmm, maybe I will cause a massive cleanup of people))

Run to where Urist is. Say words!

Nice dragon.  Don't eat me dragon.  Gonna run like hell dragon.

[Dragon Dex:5]
[Jabon Dex:5+1]

You dodge backwards as the dragon swipes at you.  You evade the worst of it, but the tips catch you... and go straight through you.  Oh, yeah.  The dragon roars in anger, but you're into the grand room before he can do anything about that.

Now, that dwarf...

Summon goblin, urge dwarf to kill goblin, avoid puppy as if its made of exploding wind puppy because if i touch it it will be.
"Zounds! A villain is attacking the good dwarf! Fear not, for SCIENCE MAN is here to save the day!"

Heroic speech. Also, dodge flying goblins.
Quote from: Urist
MURDER

[Jabon Spd:6+1-2]
[Outcast Spd:5]
[Science Spd:5-1]
[Urist Spd:3+1]

Jabon and Outcast Wizard both come in to the Grand Room to see what the ruckus is.  Jabon approaches the dwarf as Outcast Wizard lines up his spell.

[Outcast Pot:4+1]  An orc made out of iron appears in front of you.  It hovers there for a second, snarling at you, before it shoots straight forward.  It sails across the arena and smacks into the wall.

Orc?  Goblin?  Close enough.  You gesture toward it and try to speak dwarvish at the dwarf.

Meanwhile, Jabon comes up to the dwarf and works some magic.

[Jabon Pot:4+2]  A greatsword formed out of arcane energy forms and falls to the ground.  Jabon pokes it lightly with the tip of his left pinky.  It goes through it.  Oh, yeah.

Science Man stands up and shouts some nonsense that everyone ignores.

Urist, perhaps convinced by Outcast Wizard, refocuses attention on the orc.  He charges, putting away his hammerpick and getting out his battleaxe.  The magma head still looks quite sharp, but also glows with radiant heat.

[Urist Dex:5+1]
[Orc Dex:5]

[Urist Str:5+2]
[Orc End:5]

The orc catches the blow in the chest, giving him a nasty glowing gash.  He roars in pain and swipes at the dwarf.

[Orc Dex:4]
[Urist Dex:1+1]

[Orc Str:6]
[Urist End:2+2]

The blow clangs into the dwarf's armor.  He staggers backward, but appears unharmed.

"Needs more cowbell."

Attempt Two!

Don't fear the reaper.

[Pot:6]  Well, there's your plate mail made of solid force.  Might be tricky to grab and put on, but it's there.  It's big and bulky, but it'll fit.

[Pot:5]  And a nice helmet to go with.

[Pot:1]  Nothing happens.

*Swing it around some to get a feel for it*

"SCIENCE UP!"

It doesn't feel weird when you swing it- the only difference is it doesn't drop if you let go.  It certainly has mass, as much as arcane energy bound to the form of matter does, at least.

You set the gear aside, drop your form, and try some new magic.

[Pot:3+1]  You get a good-sized lump of copper.

[Pot:6+1]  A very large lump of copper.

[Pot:2+1]  An odd-looking lump of copper, a bit bigger than the first one.

Playing around with the copper, you are unable to determine anything special with the first two.  The third is clearly flimsier than the other two, and feels a bit lighter than the first one despite being a bit bigger.

You reactivate your form and kick the lumps into the pit.  The first two fly off with a foot-induced explosions.  The third blows a larger chunk off and sails into the pit in three pieces.

Stomp on the ice, then if it doesn't break say Fioltrin Josionp Pioncale.

A good stomping leaves the ice intact.  It stubbornly refuses to break.

[Pot:1]
[End:4]

Your right hand turns to inert steel.  This proves unhelpful for holding things.

Quote from: Players
Unholy_Pariah:  South side, Grand Room (1/3 Pool, Body is arcane) (4)
Bigf00t: Bigf01t - East entrance, Bottomless Pit (6 Pool, Body is arcane field over steel core) [Arcane hoverhammer, Arcane shield] {Chest feels burned/raw} (6)
GreatWyrmGold: Science Man - Center, Grand Room (6 Pool, Body is steel) {Right arm is gone}
The Ensorceler:  Carlos - Northeast side, Grand Room (3 Pool)  {Left pinky is nonliving iron, last two fingers of right hand are blown off}
Tomcost: Jabon - Northeast side, Grand Room (3/4 Pool, Body is air) (15)
Vakothu: Azilain - North side, Cavern (3 Pool)  {Right hand is inert steel}
Dermonster: Derm - South Side, Cavern (5 Pool, Arcane/Force/Light/Dark mixed form)
Defiatos: Wilbur Wilson Deerkill - East side, Spike Room (2 Pool)

Urist Lamkalallibash - North side, Grand Room
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:18:21 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:44 am »

((Theory confirmed, hell yes!. Turn coming in some time. Vakothu, mind if I pt your character ot of his missery? Won't act if you say no))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 24, 2013, 09:27:11 am »

((mind if i take that sword tom?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 24, 2013, 09:41:34 am »

((No, I don't mind, so take it. I was just doing science.))

((Let's keep Urist busy. After the orc we will need something like burning zombie elephants, or something simmilar. Maybe with "fire bone elephant" it would be enough.))
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 198