Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 69920 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2013, 07:48:59 pm »

RED

You know what that means, don't you?

Show them how DAKKA really works! Clear the deck!
[T4.R12.S3]
You spray machine gun fire like a crazy man, humming the "Ride of the Valkyries". Somehow, you manage to nearly every shot, sweeping streams of rounds a dozen feet over the deck and worthlessly pinging them off the Blue ship's metal hull. You keep firing, even as the shells tear into your ship and your cannons return fire.

((I understand that this tactic would work with the game mechanics. I'm just saying that the above-mentioned tactic is stupid and really really dangerous. Sorry about that, and I don't usually call you out like that. However, it's also important to not give people wrong ideas about what would work, and what wouldn't. i.e.: The problem of modern entertainment.

By the way, my secret idea to tie ropes to us and swing into their ship, igniting everything, will have to be discarded because if the ships are moving, we won't really have enough time to do anything.))

Red Team
Name: Vlad

Vlad hands out several (3 if I have enough) molotovs to everyone. He then takes a position at the cannons, and will help aim anybody who decided to fire them. He will not fire the cannons if he is the only one there.

Cheat Sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You run to the hatch up and pull yourself up. Danath is there, pacing back and forth, looking anxious. You hand him a few unlit moltovs as you pass by and are half way up the stairs when the first shell hits. You find yourself on your stomach, halfway up the stairs, covered in splinters of wood and metal. You look back to see Danath trying to pull himself up, blood covering his face. You turn and run up to the deck, but dive to the ground as a second round slams into the cockpit ahead of you.

Red - Danath

So, what are we doing, movement wise? 

If we are getting into cannon range, find somewhere secure to hide behind until we get close, preferably close to the cannons so I can reload them.

If we are getting into boarding range, get up on deck, ready to jump across.

Edit:  More importantly, WHO IS FIRING THE CANNONS?

You pace back and forth, wanting something to do. You can load shells, you can fight, but you can't fire these cannons. You're grinding your teeth with frustration at your uselessness when Vlad comes up. He hands three moltovs, tells you to be careful with them. You nod, and turn to look back as he walks away. The Blue ship is there, cannons aligned with you. You try to duck, dodge away, but you're not fast enough.

The shell hits the right forward gun, almost drives straight down the barrel but is a little too high. Instead it hits and tears half way down the length of the gun and rips it from it's housing, taking a fairly large chunk of deck with it. You end up against the left wall, vision blurry, ears ringing, blood on your face. You wipe your your eyes and cringe as you try to stand up. You've got your fair share of gashes, but the worst is a 4 inch shard of metal embedded in your shin. As you consider whether or not you should pull it out, Sloan runs by and fires one of the remaining right cannons.

Now you've got something to load.

Well, I'll just fire the cannons I guess.

Aiming and firing cannons require DEX instead of STR right?
You leave the cockpit, sliding down the ladder and running out on deck. You're halfway to the stairs when the first shell hits the cannon deck and the entire ship shudders. You nearly lose your footing but you keep going. You pass Vlad and are halfway down when the next shell, the one that hits the cockpit, lands.

You jump over the wreckage of the forward right cannon and take up position at the middle one.
[T4. R6. S2]
You fire, the recoil of the gun pushing you back despite its bindings to the deck. You don't see it hit; you don't see the shell hit the blue ship. You must have missed. You move to the next gun.
[T4. R6. S3.]
Another miss. You pound your fists on the cannon.

Oh, you crazy mask guy.

Turn right and then fly forward, continuing at Speed 3 and trying to get the enemy ship in our cannons' sights. At the closest point of our trajectories this turn, fire a shot at any crewmembers I can see.

Would it be too much to ask for a link to the map at the bottom of each turn? I keep forgetting where it is.
[T2. R9. S4]
You turn the helm right, keep the speed at three, giving chase. The Blue ship turns too, and for a second, it's guns get a clean shot at you. The first hits the gun deck; ship lists  to the side a bit but you keep it on target. The second round catches the side of the cockpit and sets the entire room ringing. The right side wall bows in, the wood cracking as the metal armor breaks away.

BLUE

"Oi!  Line me up a shot!"
Toastarrr:  Get to the red-facing cannons and prepare to fire when able!  Aim for their guns.
You run down to the cannon level  and grab the first cannon on the right. You aim down the barrel at the cannons of the red ship.
[T3.R10.S6]
You watch your shot hiss through the air, a black ball arcing across the blue until it silently slips into the cannon port on the side of the red ship, taking one of the cannons with it.

"Gotcha."

Steven,Blue
change mind and move to the middle right cannon, If there is a possible line of fire on the cockpit, attempt to shoot said cannon at said enemy cockpit.
As Toaster takes up position on the first right gun, you take the middle cannon, aiming for the cockpit.
[T3.R7.S6]
You grit your teeth as the cannon fires and run to the open cannon port to watch it fly. The shell hits dead center on the side of the red cockpit.
"HA!"

FINE THEN!
Strap some explosive shells together, add fuse. If possible, construct catapult.
[T3. R3. S1]
You can't figure out how tape works. You spend the better part of several minutes trying everything from speaking to it in Chinese to wearing it as a hat. Nothing seems to work.

Find cover when the deck gets machine-gunned; but once again, if the enemy ship comes close enough, board 'em.
You run and hide behind the cockpit tower as machine gun fire screams over the deck. You press your back against the wall and feel your teeth shake as the ships cannon's fire.

...I honestly did not expect to be able to do all three actions in one turn. I think we should limit acceleration/deceleration to a single level per turn (so it is possible to go 0-1-2-3, but no 0-3).

Also, how can reds hit us with machineguns? We're not even close to three tiles needed for them to hit us.

Also x2, what's the cannon range? I can't find it anywhere.

Also x3, what are the numbers next to the rolls? And how does piloting skill influence, well, piloting?

Also x4, please add ship customization to the finished version. ^_^

Vowel: facepalm. Turn right. Put engines down to 2. Sing inspiring songs, forgetting I have 0 in singing.

And Toaster, don't you mean rightside cannons?
[T2. R4. S3]
You pull the ship right and set the engines to 2. You whistle a sky shanty while the ship's cannons fire.

"What do we do with a drunken airman? What do we do with a drunken airman? What do we do with a drunken airman EEEEAAAARRRLY in the morning!"

(You guys should probably use north, south, east,west for the directions, to have something absolute.)

Blue, the underdogs, have come back with a stunning double hit, ruining one of Red's cannon's and stripping the armor on the right side of their cockpit. That pilot had better watch out; that wood skeleton isn't gonna protect him from another shell or machine gun fire. What do you think Cael, is Red gonna run for it and lick their wounds or are we gonna see an attempt at immediate retaliation?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2013, 07:52:37 pm »

Keep them off the guns!

Sometimes my existence is so simple. Shoot things, then shoot more things. Don't worry about trying to outmanoeuvre, just keep shooting.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2013, 08:05:19 pm »

((Okay, I call shenanigans. The Blues had to turn 45 degrees in order to fire at us. That is supposed to take up an entire turn. I can accept that they were able to fire at us for the purpose of keeping this turn-based, even if real-time they would not have been able to. But at the same time, we didn't need to turn as we were passing them. Exactly how were they able to fire first?!
By the way, another suggestion. When we are turning and moving, it would be neat if our movement path was an arc, not turn and then move.

Also, it's kind of hard to use W/E/N/S when turning. If we were squares, sure, but not as ships.))

Red Team

Perhaps we should begin turning a different direction now, that one of our sides is badly damaged. That way we will be able to fight on equal footing again.

Check if Danath is okay. Administer care. (I hope my intelligence will help here.)

Also, if we get another turn before tomorrow night, Remuthra can take charge of my character.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:09:36 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2013, 08:28:57 pm »

"Dammit! Why didn't you idiots fire the cannons?!?"
Shout at the crew. Slow down to Speed 2 and turn right more. I'd be going west at that point. Prepare to dodge cannonfire by leaping down the ladder if anything shoots at me somehow.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2013, 08:29:18 pm »

Skybooth - Cael the Commentator

"I am not sure Team Blue actually knew they'd get such an opportunity so soon or if they saddled Lady Luck and called her their property, but the results are still looking good, Wise.

Judging by their reactions, I believe that after the mandatory moments of flailing, the Red Team will try a very likely clumsy comeback - with their trigger happy machine gun sniper being at a good spot to try and actually hit something now that the enemy's in range, though I agree their pilot may soon become less of a man after losing several body parts due to his unprotected position. "
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2013, 08:42:34 pm »

((Okay, I call shenanigans. The Blues had to turn 45 degrees in order to fire at us. That is supposed to take up an entire turn. I can accept that they were able to fire at us for the purpose of keeping this turn-based, even if real-time they would not have been able to. But at the same time, we didn't need to turn as we were passing them. Exactly how were they able to fire first?!
By the way, another suggestion. When we are turning and moving, it would be neat if our movement path was an arc, not turn and then move.

Also, it's kind of hard to use W/E/N/S when turning. If we were squares, sure, but not as ships.))

Red Team

Perhaps we should begin turning a different direction now, that one of our sides is badly damaged. That way we will be able to fight on equal footing again.

Check if Danath is okay. Administer care. (I hope my intelligence will help here.)

Also, if we get another turn before tomorrow night, Remuthra can take charge of my character.

Here are the lines where they took the shots. Blue line up first. Doesn't really matter though, even if Red had fired first, the result would have been the same.

NWES for turning. Turn north. Turn south. etc.
Also, Curves don't really work for grids,unless you're moving lots of squares at a time. The fact that you only move 45 degrees at a time is to make it so that the ship has turning circles. Such as:

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2013, 08:43:12 pm »

I don't claim to fully understand everything, but what turns the ship and what propels the ship are two entirely different systems.  One can be operated independently of the other, so I assume the hard turn was swung while the ship was already in motion, giving a quick shot at the ship.

"Arr har har!  Come back and have at ye!

Toastarrr:  Help reload shells!  If there's any way in hell I can get a shot off from a cannon, take it instead!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2013, 08:46:48 pm »

SLOAN

MORE DAKKA! MORE BOOM! FIRE! FIRE!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2013, 09:44:43 pm »

Skybooth - Cael the Commentator

"I am not sure Team Blue actually knew they'd get such an opportunity so soon or if they saddled Lady Luck and called her their property, but the results are still looking good, Wise.

Judging by their reactions, I believe that after the mandatory moments of flailing, the Red Team will try a very likely clumsy comeback - with their trigger happy machine gun sniper being at a good spot to try and actually hit something now that the enemy's in range, though I agree their pilot may soon become less of a man after losing several body parts due to his unprotected position. "

"Oh, it appears the #3 Red, Vlad, is trying to call a foul on physics. We'll get a  referee in there just as soon as the shooting stops."

"You know Cael, I think that cannon shot from the blue ship should actually have hit that cockpit glass instead of the side. Maybe Vlad is on to something..."

(yeah, I actually should have had that hit the glass, I mixed up the angles for that shot. My bad. Reds good fortune.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:37 pm »

((I'm not worried at the moment. They're not going to be at an angle to shoot at us juust yet...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:18 pm »

"Oh, it appears the #3 Red, Vlad, is trying to call a foul on physics. We'll get a  referee in there just as soon as the shooting stops."

"I believe Physics hates us all and shows it through the little things, Wise. What I know is that when the guns resume roaring, we'll get an insight on human anatomy via bloody chunks unless everyone begins shooting like seizure-riddled labyrinthitic lab rats."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2013, 10:00:04 pm »

PW:  I'm curious about the roll system- does exceeding the required number of successes increase the success you get?  I think it does, from a couple things I've seen, but I just want to ask to be sure.

Too bad that cannon shot of mine wasn't explosive.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:43 pm »

"I believe Physics hates us all and shows it through the little things, Wise. What I know is that when the guns resume roaring, we'll get an insight on human anatomy via bloody chunks unless everyone begins shooting like seizure-riddled labyrinthitic lab rats."

"Anything is possible Cael. Pass the bottle, good buddy."

PW:  I'm curious about the roll system- does exceeding the required number of successes increase the success you get?  I think it does, from a couple things I've seen, but I just want to ask to be sure.

Too bad that cannon shot of mine wasn't explosive.
The rolls do have some degree of gray area around their targets. Going over by a lot will be better then just hitting it, going under by just a little might have a lesser effect.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2013, 10:57:49 pm »

Chance way missed, Damien instead books it down to Engineering, to make sue things are going well.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2013, 11:18:07 pm »

Tell the captain to ram, ready my saber.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 55