Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014  (Read 18819 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2013, 02:37:17 pm »

Doesn't that FAQ say you can get and modify the source code for it? I'm not sure what everyone's freaking out about.

On an aside, that blue sun, those funky icons? It looks like cell division to me. Thoughts? The idea to me seems that Steam has grown enough that through fission, it can clone across to the living room and continue to grow.

My money is on them representing what the symbols mean. First one was an OS, second is a box, third one is most likely some sort of controller. They patented a modular controller back in '11. I imagine that is finally coming to fruition.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2013, 02:45:13 pm »

i, for one, welcome our new 3-nescient overlords

google's rapidly losing any credit it might have had in my eyes so mayhaps valve will take its time to make me think there's something not going to shit in the future

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2013, 02:45:28 pm »

Doesn't that FAQ say you can get and modify the source code for it? I'm not sure what everyone's freaking out about.

On an aside, that blue sun, those funky icons? It looks like cell division to me. Thoughts? The idea to me seems that Steam has grown enough that through fission, it can clone across to the living room and continue to grow.

My money is on them representing what the symbols mean. First one was an OS, second is a box, third one is most likely some sort of controller. They patented a modular controller back in '11. I imagine that is finally coming to fruition.

I would buy a steam-designed controller. Not a huge fan of most controllers.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2013, 02:50:54 pm »

Steam controller? Yeah, I'd bite. Right now the options are mostly console controllers, which come with a lot of complaints about dead zone and sensitivity, or one of the Logitech controllers- my F710 feels great, but has the worst blue tooth reception I've ever seen in any device.

Also this:
You are now one out of 34,719 eligible beta candidates.
Good Luck!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2013, 02:55:28 pm »

Ooh, is that a sexy sexy trackball I see?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This image has given me hope.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2013, 03:01:33 pm »

They're sexy trackball modules, which can be swapped in as appropriate. Which seems far too sensible a design to actually happen. Though I see they're still making you choose between using your thumbs to push buttons, or use a stick/trackball.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2013, 05:26:18 pm »

I'd expect something more ergonomic than that in a final design, it looks like tapping the buttons would make your thumbs cramp up (ever use the D-pad on a 360 controller a lot?)

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2013, 05:27:41 pm »

I'd expect something more ergonomic than that in a final design, it looks like tapping the buttons would make your thumbs cramp up (ever use the D-pad on a 360 controller a lot?)
Well it's the modular controller that's patented, not the shape of the controller.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2013, 07:00:42 pm »

You know, that gets me thinking, why didn't anybody think of putting buttons at the back of the controller, so you could use thumbs for the sticks, index fingers for triggers and middle and/or ring for buttons?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2013, 07:08:08 pm »

You know, that gets me thinking, why didn't anybody think of putting buttons at the back of the controller, so you could use thumbs for the sticks, index fingers for triggers and middle and/or ring for buttons?

A quick experiment shows that it'd be awkward as all heck. You wouldn't be able to get a good grip on the controller since the index/middle fingers are the main grasping fingers on the hand. Also you don't have much dexterity with your middle/ring fingers, so it'd be harder to hit the buttons and probably put more strain on your hands. Maybe it'd work if the controller was designed better than the one I have for buttons on the back, but I don't really see it ever being comfortable or useful.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2013, 07:20:22 pm »

Going off of what I think are hints with the icons, the first is revealed to be SteamOS and is a circle. The second is likely this "SteamBox", a branded computer hardware bundle that comes with the operating system and an attempt at making a standardized gaming computer, similar to consoles, that developers will use.

The third circle, two circles with a plus sign in-between, is an attempt to throw people off of the first circle and the second circle in a box. Instead of the circle relating to the SteamOS, I believe that it's going to be a specialized gamepad controller (the circles being analog sticks, the plus sign representing either the dpad or the four buttons). A lot of people just use XBox controllers, but seeing that Steam is making their own OS and their own potential console for computer gaming (my guess), all they're missing for the living room is the other advantage of console gaming: some games just work better with controllers.

Looks like I caaalllleeedddd itttttttt.

Though the reasoning might be off. We'll have to see for better explanations if my reasoning was right or wrong.

And also that there is the third announcement that needs to be made.

But:
Quote from: Steam Page
Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.
says that I'm likely right.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2013, 07:23:10 pm »

I can't wait to see all this stuff come to fruitation.
Because in my experience, Valve gets stuff done right.
And all this is stuff that has been needing getting done rightness for a while.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »

The N64 controller did it. One button probably doesn't count though.

It's obvious that none of you claw your controllers regularly.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2013, 10:21:31 pm »

I for one can't wait to see what the steam machine can do. I bet it can run games harder, better, faster, and stronger that other consoles. The design will probably be sleek and aerodynamic. I'm quite excited about this technologic development and can't wait to see it face to face.

I just hope Valve doesn't make any daft decisions about it, though that would show that they are human after all.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2013, 10:30:51 pm »

Keep in mind there will probably not be any "THE Official Steam Machine." They did mention that that they're making a variety of them with multiple partners. I'd bet that most of them will be mostly based on streaming with some low end specifications to make that happen. This is considering how it's likely that most of steam's users already have their own computers.
There's still a likelihood of some high/mid-end machines being developed though.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11