Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169774 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 24 - Beta V0.6 - Gui and merging versions
« Reply #930 on: January 24, 2014, 08:28:20 pm »

been playing the day 21 warlock mod got me thinking about making ghost units work for you.
also why not have the spider nest be an unlock for working with the drow hordemaster.
With selling enough souls grants you the ability to tap into their spidernests.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ThothTheScribe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 24, 2014, 08:53:25 pm »

This may be me simply missing something obvious, but how do you pasture a prisoner in the torture chamber? I placed a pasture and my minions kept getting scared by the human repeatedly until he was eventually bludgeoned to death with slade.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #932 on: January 24, 2014, 10:09:20 pm »

This may be me simply missing something obvious, but how do you pasture a prisoner in the torture chamber? I placed a pasture and my minions kept getting scared by the human repeatedly until he was eventually bludgeoned to death with slade.
A human soldier in a cage? Just leave the cage nearby. If thats the case it not a prisoner, but a caged invader. Prisoners are pet-creatures actually called "human prisoner" (literally), that you can pasture like normal pets.

Rumrusher: Spiders from drow make sense, but wouldnt they rather sell you a spider, instead of the technology to make more spiders? ^^ If you have any ideas for the ghosts, let me know. I guess you are talking about dfhack scripts ?

Vabalokis:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Morrigi: Crap. Was it actually saying "SAVING" on the screen when it froze?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 24, 2014, 10:13:21 pm »

Morrigi: Crap. Was it actually saying "SAVING" on the screen when it froze?
Yup. Is that bad?

....I just had an idea though. A Soul Engine. Insert souls, get mechanical power.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #934 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:37 pm »

I cant do that. I would have to rewrite the steamengine plugin to work without water underneath... but anyway, nothing is really using power in the mod.

Well, I have never heard about a freeze while saving. Except when the hardrive is full, so I dont know whats up with that. While it saves it doesnt run any interaction, reactions, things in mods that usually cause problems, it sounds more like something system related to your machine.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

wrightly678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 24, 2014, 11:16:30 pm »

i demand a picture for today
Day 24 Warlocks and gnomes
A Shitty photoshop image for you
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: dammit I figured I'd make a quick image, but meph beat me too it, his looks better too.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:18:35 pm by wrightly678 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 24, 2014, 11:35:36 pm »

So far so good on this release of the warlocks. I haven't gotten migrants yet but for once the embark didn't result in mephites trying to murder my skeletons or picking fights.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 24, 2014, 11:51:06 pm »

I just downloaded the warlock mod and played a season and a half. No massacres or anything like Splint described so yay. Ghouls are ridiculously fast, especially since FPS is so high at the start. I've actually seen them almost teleport when moving. The ethereal portal actually seems a bit underpowered. You get valueless items for free. Whup de doo. It honestly feels like a less satisfiying version of the kobold leather upholstery workshop. Making furniture for free after the first 1-2 seasons, except the Ethereal portal doesn't work for making dining rooms or anything like that because 0 value. Giving the ethereal items normal wooden value would actually let you fill all those upperclass noble positions once you have a decently skilled engraver. Also I find the 3 gems per skill reactions a bit steep. Unless I happen to stumble across a HUGE gem vein I rarely get more then 10-12 gems per fort. Thats partly because I don't stripmine that much. If I decided to strip-mine for gems with mostly low-level miners, it'd take quite a while to get enough gems for the legendary engraver. And you need to upgrade skeleton skills to be able to manage work orders, update stockpile records, possibly go on raids(IDK if the overlord noble is the only one allowed to run those reactions), make weapons or armor or even maintain basic fortress morale. Maybe the cost should be reduced to two gems per 3 skillpoints? I also recall there being some mention of artificial gems being made from glass and ore dust. Was that implemented and if so what workshop would it be in?

TLDR: Warlock mode is decently fun, but its very difficult to get room value high.

EDIT: The default slade boulder throwing thing is NASTY. My necromancer was fetching a coyote corpse for butchering and he got interupted by a coyote. Then he slade bouldered him in the leg, making him give in to pain. The next shot was in the head. And the manual says its supposed to be armor piercing. I am seriously doubting the nessecity of having librararies to learn more advanced spells if the basic one kills or maims THIS easily.

EDIT X2 combo: On the other hand, firing deadly missiles from your hands means that when the warlocks go insane from the lack of room quality they'll carve a bloody(boney) swath through your fort.

EDIT X3 combo: Also the Restless walker things are really tough to kill. I spawned one out of curiosity. It currently has killed the entire animal population of the embark 4 times. His kills:
11 coyotes
7 giant dingoes
8 badgers
3 stranglers
Not bad for something spawned from one unit of meat. Now imagine 20 of them. **Evil smile**
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:03:55 am by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 25, 2014, 12:19:17 am »

It does seem like a chunk of this relies on most players being of the "Mine the whole place hollow" variety doesn't it.

EDIT: The default slade boulder throwing thing is NASTY. My necromancer was fetching a coyote corpse for butchering and he got interupted by a coyote. Then he slade bouldered him in the leg, making him give in to pain. The next shot was in the head. And the manual says its supposed to be armor piercing. I am seriously doubting the nessecity of having librararies to learn more advanced spells if the basic one kills or maims THIS easily.

Depends on the creature and where they get hit really. Bigger animals will often only get bruised or shallow cuts and smaller ones tend to dodge mine until the minions jump on them and pretty much hold them in place.

EDIT X3 combo: Also the Restless walker things are really tough to kill. I spawned one out of curiosity. It currently has killed the entire animal population of the embark 4 times. His kills:
11 coyotes
7 giant dingoes
8 badgers
3 stranglers
Not bad for something spawned from one unit of meat. Now imagine 20 of them. **Evil smile**
Most of those are relatively small, unarmed besides teeth and claws, and completely unarmored though. How do they fare against armed and armored humans or what have you?

Also, the stonecrafter shop is your best friend for helping with value (and building stuff of use in general before you have that portal thing,) alongside engraving and general size.

Nuhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 25, 2014, 12:32:09 am »

Unless I happen to stumble across a HUGE gem vein I rarely get more then 10-12 gems per fort. Thats partly because I don't stripmine that much. If I decided to strip-mine for gems with mostly low-level miners, it'd take quite a while to get enough gems for the legendary engraver.

There are a number of ways to acquire gems in this mod, as well as glass from the vanilla reactions. You can lure caravans that have them, press coke into them at the screw press (Hint: Gather peat -> compact peat in screw press -> smelt peat to coke -> press coke to gems in screw press.) or more easier, collect sand.
Before this mod, I never pitied the bad guys in any of the fantasy novels I'd read. The undead lich king always seemed like such an uber-menace, but now I know his secret pain of having morons for minions, a vampire doctor just waiting for him to go to sleep, and a constant feeling of anger and depression because he's one armor stand short in his bedroom suite.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 25, 2014, 01:08:30 am »

Unless I happen to stumble across a HUGE gem vein I rarely get more then 10-12 gems per fort. Thats partly because I don't stripmine that much. If I decided to strip-mine for gems with mostly low-level miners, it'd take quite a while to get enough gems for the legendary engraver.
There are a number of ways to acquire gems in this mod, as well as glass from the vanilla reactions. You can lure caravans that have them, press coke into them at the screw press (Hint: Gather peat -> compact peat in screw press -> smelt peat to coke -> press coke to gems in screw press.) or more easier, collect sand.

Thanks, that'll help with alot of the problems I'm having so far. I even embarked on a map with peat.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:10:52 am by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 25, 2014, 01:15:58 am »

eh due to day 21 version kinda wonder if you fix the whole military skeletons if out of eye shot lose the ability to be enlist in the army.
given that this only happens on skeletons I guess I should just enlist a ghoul army than use skeletons
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 25, 2014, 01:23:58 am »

Depends on the creature and where they get hit really. Bigger animals will often only get bruised or shallow cuts and smaller ones tend to dodge mine until the minions jump on them and pretty much hold them in place.

I'm thinking that this will wreak havoc on invaders. Except for automatons, frost giants and drow ninjas, most invaders either don't have legendary dodging skill or armor-grade skin, so even if the slade doesn't penetrate armor, they'll still have broken hands and feet.

11 coyotes
7 giant dingoes
8 badgers
3 stranglers

Most of those are relatively small, unarmed besides teeth and claws, and completely unarmored though. How do they fare against armed and armored humans or what have you?

I don't think they'll do that well. I use them for hunting without having to do the work of getting my ghouls to murder wildlife for souls
Also, the stonecrafter shop is your best friend for helping with value (and building stuff of use in general before you have that portal thing,) alongside engraving and general size.

I'm not sure that minimum quality stone stuff will help all that much and I got the portal up in the first month. Smoothing walls is definitely a good idea and larger rooms is something I never thought of. I just don't like huge amounts of stone cluttering up the place, especially since the only thing you need it for is hourglasses.
Spooky Signature

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 25, 2014, 01:38:39 am »

Well, embarking with someone who is proficient as a stonecrafter/potter can help considerably. Makes for a good bit of above bog standard stuff.

So far so good, some migrants came and for once the ghouls and minions played nice and didn't try to kill eachother. Whatever you did seems to have worked so far Meph.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 25, 2014, 01:58:29 am »

I've finally found a solution to the room value problem:
Step 1: Have wood on the map
Step 2: Have someone cut down 10 trees
Step 3: Build a crematorium and a screw press
Step 4: Turn 10 wood into 30 coke
Step 5: Press coke into diamonds
Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit!!!!
EDIT:
(Step 8: Optional) repeat steps 1-7 5 times and use the resulting gems to boost a skeleton to legendary engraver skill
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:23:41 am by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 110