Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 323427 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »

I want to play a D20 style RPG game that I haven't yet played, but I've already played:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
SW: KotOR 1 & 2 (Are you seeing a pattern here?)

AND I've played a bunch of somewhat-close-to-what-I-want-but-not-quite games like:

Jedi Knight series
Fallout NV (I keep meaning to get 3 though. I liked that one)
Mount and Blade
Morrowind and other assorted TES games

So I'm sort of stumped. Any recommendations?

Eye of the Beholder, or Dungeon Hack.  Have you tried the old Gold Box D&D games?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2013, 01:28:55 pm »

Is it worthwhile to play through number one before Baldur's Gate 2? I have both of them and I'm slowly working my way through the first already, haphazardly avoiding death by spellcaster.

I think you should. Alone BG2 is a great game, but when played after BG1 it's a power trip of the century. You go from dying to your first gibberling to... Let's just say that you're casually punching people whose power levels exceed 9000. Also various minor continuity nods and whatnot.

If you're ever going to play BG1 do it first, since BG2 shamelessly spoils BG1. And it's certaily worth playing at least once.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2013, 02:17:08 pm »

I want a game that appeals to my inner pyromaniac. Something with gorgeous, realistic fire physics and animations. A firefighting RPG/puzzle game would be ideal, but anything with lots of pretty fire would be excellent.
Have you tried little inferno?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 03:11:52 pm »

Thank you everyone for your great recommendations. I am truly in awe at your knowledge. First on the list are Lufia II and Tales of Phantasia, which I hadn't heard of before this point.

I'm thinking I might also get myself a PS Vita for New Year's. The PSP was well-known for its emulation and homebrew capabilities, how does the Vita compare? I know that lots of great PSP titles are sold through its store

The PSP has a pretty tight kicking homebrew scene. I personally never got into it; I mostly stuck to the sides. As for the Vita, I don't know but in general just be careful with the Sony firmware updates. They have a tendency to brick your system or keep certain apps from playing.

Also I fudged up on my response earlier to you. The Playstation store has a lot of early PS1 classic JRPGS for sale; they're not too expensive but they do make themselves easy to download and play.

I've got $65 USD worth of steam credit, and I'm looking for some good zombie survival games in the vein of Day Z or Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Any suggestions?

I already mentioned these two games before, they're both pretty good but single player. Also I got another Zombie Survival game so I don't look completely lazy, Lone Survivor, it's got more elements of psychological horror in it with a 2D look.
There's also State of Decay a single player zombie survival game that uses an interchangeable permadeath character system to scavenge for supplies and manage various base group aspects. Finally there's Rouge Survivor (pick the download link from blogsite) another zombie game but more rougelike, it's currently an abandoned title but for what it's worth there's much fun to be had with its current state: randomly generated city districts, competent AI, city generation and game difficulty editor and various mob entities.

If you're looking for something trippy, try out Middens. There is some combat, but most of it is exploration in a psychedelic setting. It's totally open and quite easy to get lost, but it's fun just to wander and see what you can find in out-of-the-way corners.

There is a plot and story, though, and an ending.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's looks like if Salvador Dali came back to life to design a video game! Downloading now

Try Space Funeral. It has little combat, is super surreal and it's free.

WTH? Apparently it's only about 30-60mins long... eh why not I'll give a try!

Know there was some flash game a while back I've since forgotten

You're talking about Caravaneer right? It's a strategic grid tile TBRPG with a supply and demand trade simulator to it based in a post apocalyptic natural disaster world. The first time through it's actually quite fun, second time you already know how to break the game so it's actually even better the second time. Try playing through a second time with just a single Caravaneerer, tis much fun.

There was also a kickstarter earlier for a sequel so keep an eye out for that.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 03:22:11 pm »

You're talking about Caravaneer right?
Not even remotely, heh. There's some one-off flash game (On kongregate at some point, should still be there... somewhere) that had a pretty much dead rip of Ogre Battle's combat/strategy system... maybe some disciples influence in there, too, but yeah. Same RTS-style squad movement, same squad formation whatsit... fairly sure it even had the X-number-of-attacks thing, but that could just be my memory. Fantasy based, though, and definitely not even close to as fleshed out or engaging as OB.

Have played Caravaneer at some point, though... demo or something, at least. Very much not really what I'm looking for, especially the combat aspect. Not bad, from what I remember, but closer to Tactics Ogre than Ogre Battle, which despite sharing certain elements (class/races, overall theme) are very different mechanically, tactics being a fairly standard SRPG and Ogre Battle, well... not, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »

...Ogre Battle...

Try looking at Soul Nomad. It has pretty much all of the systems from Ogre Battle (levelling up, auto battles, optional fights and such).

...hands-off combat.

Well there is entire genre of "G"rand strategy games, from Paradox mainly, that have pretty automated combat systems.

classic console RPG

Would Persona (2) count? There is also a load of Breath of Fire games, Suikoden and Star Ocean series.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:25:35 pm by aenri »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2013, 04:18:55 pm »

I specifically stated 2D because this crappy Intel GMA 950 is very poor with 3D rendering. :) But I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Ohhhh, I'm sorry.  I didn't understand--I thought it was just an aesthetic choice.

In that case, I'll also throw in behind Lufia I and II.  They're SNES-era, but they're pretty much the best RPGs I've played from then.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 05:09:39 pm »

I am looking for a game that can simulate war on a very large scale down to small scale without covering multiple fronts across continents a la HOI or TW, but something sufficiently large scale that It can represent Divisions without becoming too simplistic like HOI in terms of combat, and small enough scale it can represent platoons or similar unit sizes.

If you have Rome Total war cannot recommend enough Europa Barbaronum, which is a more realistic ancient setting. Also Bulletstorm is fun on Xbox if you can find it for £3 like I did.

Gotta love the new consoles driving down game prices, got Ghost Recon advanced warfighter 1 and 2 for £3.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »

I am looking for a game that can simulate war on a very large scale down to small scale without covering multiple fronts across continents a la HOI or TW, but something sufficiently large scale that It can represent Divisions without becoming too simplistic like HOI in terms of combat, and small enough scale it can represent platoons or similar unit sizes.

If you have Rome Total war cannot recommend enough Europa Barbaronum, which is a more realistic ancient setting. Also Bulletstorm is fun on Xbox if you can find it for £3 like I did.

Gotta love the new consoles driving down game prices, got Ghost Recon advanced warfighter 1 and 2 for £3.
EB is the best mod, indeed, although for most factions becoming economically feasible is a nightmare.

Have you tried Mount and Blade?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »

Wargame: European Escalation?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2013, 05:21:06 pm »

I love mount and Blade warband(Heck I even played WFAS), as for Wargame I am running Intel HD 3000 and unfortunately cannot run it, although it has really been getting my attention lately on steam.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2013, 05:23:16 pm »

Not sure what time period you're looking for and the difference between a platoon fighting and a division is pretty vast, but perhaps you should take a look at Command Ops?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377/details/Command.Ops:.Battles.from.the.Bulge.

Has a really cool order delay system. You dole out objectives and orders to your higher units and the AI can handle the grunt tactical planning, though you're free to detach and send new orders if you like, just don't expect them to react right away.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2013, 05:25:53 pm »

That looks excellent and exactly what I am looking for, going to check it out as soon as I can buy a copy.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2013, 05:30:49 pm »

That looks excellent and exactly what I am looking for, going to check it out as soon as I can buy a copy.

Yeah, Matrix Games tend to be a little on the expensive side, but it's on sale currently for the next few days. There's a demo available as well which should give you a good idea if it's the kind of game for you!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2013, 07:59:08 pm »

I want to play a D20 style RPG game that I haven't yet played, but I've already played:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
SW: KotOR 1 & 2 (Are you seeing a pattern here?)

AND I've played a bunch of somewhat-close-to-what-I-want-but-not-quite games like:

Jedi Knight series
Fallout NV (I keep meaning to get 3 though. I liked that one)
Mount and Blade
Morrowind and other assorted TES games

So I'm sort of stumped. Any recommendations?

Eye of the Beholder, or Dungeon Hack.  Have you tried the old Gold Box D&D games?

I've played the old old old AD&D Secrets of the Silver Blades (One of the games in the old Krynn series) and it was badass, but a bit much for me.

Is it worthwhile to play through number one before Baldur's Gate 2? I have both of them and I'm slowly working my way through the first already, haphazardly avoiding death by spellcaster.

I think you should. Alone BG2 is a great game, but when played after BG1 it's a power trip of the century. You go from dying to your first gibberling to... Let's just say that you're casually punching people whose power levels exceed 9000. Also various minor continuity nods and whatnot.

If you're ever going to play BG1 do it first, since BG2 shamelessly spoils BG1. And it's certaily worth playing at least once.

Play from the beginning to the end, because it is ABSOLUTELY worth it. It will highlight the extreme difference in play so very well.

Baldur's Gate 1 combat: Oh shit, a spellcaster. I better kill him BEFORE he gets off that spell!

Baldur's Gate 2 combat: Oh shit, a spellcaster! I better vaporize him before he vaporizes me!

Throne of Bhaal combat: Oh look. Enemies. Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, ALL THE REST OF MY SPELLS AT ONCE. Cackle insanely with glee.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 179