Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98418 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #405 on: February 24, 2016, 10:42:15 pm »

I want to mention btw that I love the new Smithy system. In previous games, it was just "pour money onto your weapons, show your enemies the strength of your wallet" which was both boring because of how unnecessary it was, and how unfeasible it was because it was SO EXPENSIVE, even if you grinded out a lot of money somehow, you'd still just wind up with good weapon you'd never use because it only has a finite number of uses.

Here though? Smithing serves two valuable purposes: giving your units straight upgrades in weapon power, and cleaning up your inventory. Now that weapons have infinite uses, that has two side effects, you can use weapons as much as you want, but it also means that redundant weapons brought into your custody through characters joining would wind up cluttering up your inventory. Smithing solves that issue beautifully, as you just combine redundant weapons together to get a stronger one, and it's not gamebreaking because to acquire enough redundants to get a really high level weapon would either require that you spend a lot of gold (your finite resource) or you get insanely lucky over a long period of time with the lottery or characters giving you items.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 24, 2016, 10:49:36 pm »

Yeah.

I don't know if it gives any later, but as of Chapter 11 Birthright has no Knights, so it'd have been nice to have a captured one be viable.
I'm on 16. Still no Knights. :(

Silas serves pretty well as a tank, though. Especially if you hand him a Guard Naginata. Then his defense becomes downright unfair.
If you feel like that's still not tanky enough, park Felicia and Sakura next to him for a total of +4 more damage reduction from the combination of Quiet Strength and Demoiselle.

Oh, and cook for defense. Put all that together and he should be just about impervious to physical attacks. :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 24, 2016, 11:19:43 pm »

I mean, yeah, sure, that's the 'intended' way to play the game, but one thing I've noticed about all Fire Emblems since 4 is that you're thoroughly safeguarded against the situation of Not-having-enough-units. I suspect that Nintendo's playtesters are all children who just let their units die willy-nilly, and then wonder why they can't progress through the game, so they 'fix' that problem by simply giving the player WAY WAY WAY too many units. Several playthroughs would be necessary to build all units up, and there's so many supports that if you wanted to get them all, that's nothing short of raw tedium.

I'm honest to god not making a point here, that's just my observation, and it was simply my opinion that having generics be on-par with non-generics (if only in stats and nothing else) would be a cool little aspect of the game, especially since you can get access to classes that you normally would not have access to at all.
I think the idea is to give you too many units so that the odds favor you having a decent team by the end of the game. Imagine if they gave just "enough" units, and thanks to bad level-ups half your team would die if the enemy looked at them funny.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 25, 2016, 12:02:00 am »

Man, I put so many hours into my latest save on FE:A only to realise that I locked myself out of Cynthia. All three of Sumia's possible supports (why does she only have three!?) are taken. This is on the same one where I've got a kickass Sorcerer Owain with Vengeance/Vantage/Wrath/Galeforce/Tomebreaker, who crits like a truck and restores health like he doesn't afraid of anything.

I guess that's why they say that Olivia!Lucina is poor, because Sumia is (oddly) a better option.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 25, 2016, 12:14:41 am »

I recently played to Endgame and started powersupporting to get all the kids until I realized Cordelia had "died" (because she just retires on Classic) alone. :(
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 25, 2016, 07:12:10 am »

I'm on Chapter 20 of Hard Conquest... and this... this map... is fucking bullshit.

I can't wait til you get to see it Sirus and Tawa.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 25, 2016, 09:06:31 am »

Oh god is there a map worse than Chapter 10?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2016, 09:34:33 am »

I recently played to Endgame and started powersupporting to get all the kids until I realized Cordelia had "died" (because she just retires on Classic) alone. :(

If I recall, all first generation females, and also Frederick, simply "retire". For all intents and purposes, they're dead, but the purpose of them retiring is so they still show up in certain cutscenes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:45 am »

Oh god is there a map worse than Chapter 10?

I found 10 to be right in the sweet spot of challenging and fun, this is toeing the line on unreasonable. I might have to just throw myself at this challenge over and over before I see what sticks.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 25, 2016, 09:47:55 am »

So. When you characters die, they get replaced by an NPC? Am I hearing that correctly?

Because I kind of want to play this just so I can form a team made of only nameless NPCs. Kill off all non-plot important characters and just use the faceless masses to guide your way to victory!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 25, 2016, 09:54:54 am »

Man, how do I go to grind everyone fast enough without spending too much time just to gear them up for Apotheosis?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 25, 2016, 09:56:45 am »

So. When you characters die, they get replaced by an NPC? Am I hearing that correctly?

Because I kind of want to play this just so I can form a team made of only nameless NPCs. Kill off all non-plot important characters and just use the faceless masses to guide your way to victory!

No, you just lose the characters when they die, but you CAN get random nobodies! Through an entirely separate mechanic! Actually I just checked out the Einherjerburger shop and apparent that just sells you clones of your characters, don't even know how to feel about that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2016, 01:32:43 pm »

Conquest Chapter 12...I don't know how to do Chapter 12.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 25, 2016, 01:40:49 pm »

What I would have done is allow recruited generics to serve as reinforcements in castle battles. They would be auto-equipped with basic weaponry for their class, depending on their levels, and serve as uncontrolled allied units (green, in other words). Not as good as your mainliners, not as well equipped, but still capable of distracting and weakening the enemy. Perhaps victory in castle battles would give them a level.
Bit late, but I just wanted to say that uncontrollable green units (as opposed to the semi-controllable yellow ones in PoR/RD, which I really like) are one of my least favorite things in any FE game, to the point of most of my matches with them ending with half of my guys useless due to them having to lug green units around as the only way to stop the dirty kill/xp/item drop stealing bastards. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 25, 2016, 01:42:54 pm »

What I would have done is allow recruited generics to serve as reinforcements in castle battles. They would be auto-equipped with basic weaponry for their class, depending on their levels, and serve as uncontrolled allied units (green, in other words). Not as good as your mainliners, not as well equipped, but still capable of distracting and weakening the enemy. Perhaps victory in castle battles would give them a level.
Bit late, but I just wanted to say that uncontrollable green units (as opposed to the semi-controllable yellow ones in PoR/RD, which I really like) are one of my least favorite things in any FE game, to the point of most of my matches with them ending with half of my guys useless due to them having to lug green units around as the only way to stop the dirty kill/xp/item drop stealing bastards. :P
I don't believe you earn any of those things in castle battles however, so having AI-controlled green units running around and hitting the enemy units for you wouldn't be such a bad thing :P

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 70