Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317302 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Whack-a-Dwarf
« Reply #690 on: March 21, 2014, 04:06:41 pm »

SCIENCE TIME.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 21, 2014, 06:09:30 pm »

Marvel at the sudden Iron Man in front of me, and the violent conflict.
Then carefully attempt to pick up the Zeus Spear and see if I can at least hold it for a second before burning my hands off, drop it if it's too dangerous.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 21, 2014, 10:19:11 pm »

We have an Iron Man, a sort of Thor-like guy in mastah...do we, by any chance, have a super-soldier or a guy who can shrink or something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 21, 2014, 10:19:52 pm »

probably not, or not yet.

I forgot to do the boldey thing! Things will occur!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 21, 2014, 10:43:46 pm »

Alright.

I call super-soldier!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RathofSTS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 22, 2014, 11:38:52 am »

Words.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 22, 2014, 12:13:21 pm »

Well, as disappointed as I am to loose the ring, given the taking of souls I think I'll manage. :)

Is the bridge still a bad place to be? If not, I'll just scoot across to the Greenhouse and science.

Else-wise, just science.

+1 Strength +1 Dexterity
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 24, 2014, 03:33:31 pm »

Perform strategic science!
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 24, 2014, 07:56:14 pm »

I'm back from a short break.

If you are wondering, the bridge is fine, but I missed to have the creatures come back from it. You can assume that it happened when you were distracted trying to reduce a midget to a postmodern sculpture by repeatedly mauling him.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 25, 2014, 12:41:05 am »

If you are wondering, the bridge is fine, but I missed to have the creatures come back from it. You can assume that it happened when you were distracted trying to reduce a midget to a postmodern sculpture by repeatedly mauling him.
This. So much this. This is why you make such a fine GM!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 25, 2014, 08:23:40 am »

This. So much this. This is why you make such a fine GM!
The amount of mistakes I have made clearly say that I'm not, but thanks for the compliment, anyway. Next turn will probably have a RP section for those interested.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 25, 2014, 08:27:51 am »

"Imperfect" =/= "Not Fine".
Sig

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 25, 2014, 06:22:52 pm »

Turn 028

Iron, eh?  Need some water to rust you.  Except I'm probably about to get facepunched.

React accordingly!

SCIENCE TIME.

Marvel at the sudden Iron Man in front of me, and the violent conflict.
Then carefully attempt to pick up the Zeus Spear and see if I can at least hold it for a second before burning my hands off, drop it if it's too dangerous.

[Thrakor spd:6+1-1=6]
[Cromwell spd:4]
[Flimsy spd:2-1=1]

Thrakor runs up to the Iron Man and says his spell:

[Thrakor pot:5+1=6]
[Thrakor dex:5]
[Flimsy dex:5-1=4]

A huge glob of magma appears in front of Thrakor and falls to the ground. Both he and the Wizard jump bacwards, falling to the floor and getting their legs cought in the magma for a brief period of time.

Thrakor's left leg is the unfortunate one of his pair, and as such the magma causes again some painful burns and exposes again his scarred flesh to the painful outside world.

Up to[Heavy burned] again.

The Flimsy's Wizard right leg is caught and so is heated to the point that it becomes more flexible than normal iron. Hmmm.

(Double damage to it too)

Not getting enough with all that, Thrakor attempts to bash the Wizard anyway:

[Thrakor dex:4+1=5]
[Flimsy dex:4-1-1=2]

[Thrakor str:5-1=4]

This time he actually achieves something! He beats the Iron Man's vulnerable torso with his club, hitting downwards, sideways and in any direction you can think, deforming the body of the fellow until it is mostly a bunch of twisted metal holding together the lower parts of the Wizard's body and the head.

[Mauled]

Thrakor also notices that his club has suffered some damage, he may not be able to use it much more against stuff that is so hard as iron.

Meanwhile, Cromwell ponders on if it is safe to grab the spear. He gets his hand close to it, and his hair gets all fuzzy. Yeah, better not to grab it. Anyway, he should save that wizard he saw some time before, he appears to be an OK dude, right?

[Cromwell pot:5+1=6]
[Cromwell dex:3]
[Thrakor dex:6+1=7]

Thrakor sees Cromwell coming and trying to seem him, so he just waits until the last moment and jumps back as a big portion of the floor becomes a swirling mass of fire and electricity. You won't want to fall there.

Then the Flimsy Wizard reacts and carries his mauled body up to him, and shouts a spell:

[Flimsy pot:2+2=4]
[Thrakor end:1]
[Flimsy end:6-1-1=4]

A lot of static appears between the space hobo and the Wizard, which proceeds to go inside the bodies of both of them, messing with their insides.
The electricity goes without issue towards the Iron Man's body, not messing with anything despite the amount of electrons that have been displaced.
Thrakor's limbs go numb, a sensation that is definitely not welcomed now that he has to fight two people at the same time.

Words.

Well, shit didn't show to have any sense so far, but that could be because you are doing things wrong? Or because there is no sense? Only one way to discover it:

[Pot:3]
A golden line appears and draws a four legged animal.

[Pot:2]
An useless rag appears in front of you.

[Pot:1]
Something messes up with the air around you. Huh.

You see some weird space zombie coming from the Grand Room and performing some science.

Well, as disappointed as I am to loose the ring, given the taking of souls I think I'll manage. :)

Is the bridge still a bad place to be? If not, I'll just scoot across to the Greenhouse and science.

Else-wise, just science.

+1 Strength +1 Dexterity

You ignore the ominous red light of the portal and you walk to the Greenhouse Room. Ahh, better do science here.

[Pot:1+1=2]
A golden line appears and moves oddly.

[Pot:5+1=6]
A huge chunk of obsidian appears and falls to the ground with a loud thud.

Just then, your magic decides that has had enough of you and with a flash of light, you return to your human form.

((Back to old stats, won't change them for now because I figure that you would eventually want to get back to the bio-metal form))

Quote from: Icefire
PM

You grab the alien black pig and play with it: who's cute? Who's cute? You are almost that? Yeees, you are almost cuutte.

Then you realize that you have been speaking like a really dumb person for a while. The pig seems to like it, anyway, smiling with its black shark teeth and looking at you with those black spheres it has for eyes.

Anyway, let's do science:

[Pot:2+1=3]
A golden line appears and draws something with five spikes coming from the center of it. Weird.

[Pot:4+1=5]
A pile of sand appears in front of you.

[Pot:2+1=3]
A golden line appears and forms a square in front of you. You feel like if it was lacking something.

[Pot:3+1=4]
A golden line appears and draws a bunny. Awww.

[Pot:6+1=7]
Nothing happens.

[Pot:3+1=4]
Yet another golden line appears and draws a cylinder. This is boooooriiiing.

You are sure that by this time the entity should be coming again for your pig, but it hasn't happened yet. That's odd. Maybe the power of love is saving that pig? Or maybe is that thing a means of getting rid of useless animal that some careless mages create just to ignore afterwards?

probably not, or not yet.

I forgot to do the boldey thing! Things will occur!

Oh. Bigfoit got the points. Eh.

Science.

The Dragon Knight proceeds to try to do something with his ring, some kind of science:

He begins by pointing his thumb at the dwarf and trying to move it with his mind. Nothing happens.
Then he leaves the deformed hammer at the floor and tries to move it. Unfortunately, nothing happens.
Then he tries to create gold out of thin air, not by saying words, but with the ring, that is surely going to be more useful that doing so by speaking. He tries hard and after some time...Nothing happens.

He swallows the rage and then tries some magic:

[Pot:6]
You can feel how nothing moves near your left side.

Derm, on the other hand, also does his thing:

[Pot:5+1=6]
The magic envelopes your body in a golden glow, and without asking transforms your body into solid iron. Wooo!

((Same as Flimsy))
((Pseudoedit: you both also have the [Yields] tag)))

This is good. Better celebrate with more magic:

[Pot:6]
You feel like if the air was pushing you from the place where something should have appeared.

[Pot:3]
A golden line appears and draws a four legged mammal.

[Pot:5]
Another golden line appears and draws a pig.

The portal finalized its colour transition, and a short time afterwards, a human shape came out of it. He was wearing a lab coat and not much else, barring a pair of pens in one of its pockets. His was that of a middle-aged man, with a short beard and light blue eyes whcih were constantly examining the environment.

[?? Pot:6+4=10]

A golden line appeared and began to circle the area around the portal, which soon emitted a flash of light and became more material. It was a semi-transparent golden matter enveloping the portal and the man in a perfectly round and spacious sphere.

Another shape came out of the portal, this time it was human too, but with a slight difference: it was floating with its legs crossed. Her brown hair was relatively short, and she had a non-interesting pony tail. Her green eyes weren't scanning the place: they remained pretty much still, she seeming pretty much absent minded. Her lab coat was just getting pulled by her body as she moved forwards.
The woman floated forwards until she was besides the man. The man lifted an eyebrow. She smirked slightly. The man then nodded. All without even looking at each other, and without saying a single word. They both just kept concentrated in what they were doing. The man paying special attention to those who were in the arena before him. The woman not doing anything.
I NEED BLOOD!
The growling voice interrupted the strange calm of the situation. The man turned around to see him. He didn't show surprise though, and the floating woman smiled. The shape became more defined. It seemed human, tall and well built, being circled by two flaming skulls rotating in opposed directions around his hairy chest. He had a bone helmet in the form of a wolf head, with the fangs showing its teeth and thus creating a gap that made possible to observe the man's mouth.
FOOL MORTALS! -He shouted again, showing that his teeth were as sharp as those of the wolf-helmet- I DEMAND A SACRIFICE TO APPEASE MY THIRST OF BLOOD!- He begun walking, wielding a nasty looking obsidian hatchet on each hand- SO COME HERE YOU oh, shit- the man tripped and fell face-first on the floor making a big thud noise, although the bone helmet made also another crash sound as part of it shattered against the floor. The flaming skulls continued their orbit, bouncing in the opposite direction when they were near the floor.
The man in the lab coat burst in laughter, which was accompanied by the woman, despite the fact that she was not watching him.
Timothy, please, do you remember what I told you about unnecessary spells?
B-But intimidation is an important part of fighting too!-The hairy man answered with his growling voice as he stood up, the flaming skulls returning to their original orbits, but all the former scary effect was already lost.
What do you gain to transform yourself in that way?
A-An imposing voice?
And that increases your survivability in which way exactly?
I can answer by myself, Karen! -The man turned to the floating woman. She just smirked, still facing away from the other people.
If you want us to stop laughing begin by turning off your form.
The hairy man sighed, then golden particles begun to be absorbed by his body, and with a sudden flash of light it became him again, but overall less hairy.
Is this enough?- The man's voice was now more human, but still somewhat low-pitched.
Actually, not. You are using almost useless bone as a helmet, wasting also magic effort in customizing it for no apparent use, then also making a pretty much senseless weapon choice. May I ask you why?
Because dual wielding hatchets is badass!-Timothy replied in an annoyed tone.
So, losing the main advantage of dual wielding, that is to be able to strike faster, by employing two weapons made of a material as heavy as obsidian, that can't really be swung fast enough, even more if they actually hit a target, is acceptable because of the badass potential?
In Karen's face, a slightly evil smile formed.
Can you just speak with your damned mouth, dammit!- Timothy shouted at Karen.
She probably didn't want me to hear what she told you. Be glad that she doesn't want to humiliate you in public.
You are making me seem weaker in front of them!- He said, pointing at the other people in the arena.
They? You don't even know if they will survive to see you again.
What if they do? They will know us beforehand, the element of surprise will be lost!
What would you know about how to engage them! You can't even choose wisely your weapons!-The bearded man came closer to him- Can you even create a sufficiently useful spell?-Then he backed away as a flaming skull flew dangerously close to his face-Well, at least this spell seems to be done properly.
The fire of the skulls then changed from orange to blue, the flames barely coming out of their eyes.
I spoke too soon, right?- The man sighed.-I'm regretting to get you into this.
Oh, just shout up! Not that you earned everything by your own merits!
What did you just say? -The man frowned, clenching his hands.
You heard it! You, mister perfect diction and photographic memory, are not more than a fraud. You little discovery is just that! Don't pretend that you actually understand all this bullshit!
I understand more of this than you, ungrateful bastard! You know what? It is over!-The man said, pointing at Timothy's head with his index finger- Now tell me what do you want to pierce your fucking head and end all this!
NO!-Timothy said, as he parried the finger with one of the hatchets, occasioning a great red explosion that prevented everybody outside from seeing inside of the sphere for a brief amount of time, until the golden substance pushed the blood inwards. After this, the bearded man and Timothy were standing looking at each other, both faces red with rage and blood.
Y-YOU MADE THEM SHOOT OUT BLOOD?- The man screamed. Then regained a bit of composure-You know what? I'm going to make a magical dwarf and only teach him how to transmute the inside of your head into booze so that you can get you innards sucked away as you are being French-kissed by a bearded midget! That's going to teach you!
YOU BOTH SHUT THE FUCK UP!-Karen gently stopped floating and stepped on the floor, then turned around.-NOW CALM THE FUCK DOWN, REMEMBER WHY ARE WE HERE, DAMMIT!
He is not going to get part of the harvest!
Roger, you did agree to let him come, so shut up and stop acting like a baby!
Fine!-After he said that, he briefly gazed at Karen, it seemed that a smile attempted to form in his face, but he contained it. He then looked back at Timothy.
I will help you to get some better equipment next time we come here. Just don't be silly.
Timothy nodded slowly with contempt in his face.
After an uncomfortable silence, Roger spoke again:
So, Karen, what is the situation?
Karen begun to float again, and turned around, facing Derm and The Dragon Knight:

[Karen Will:2+4=6]
[DK Will:2-1=1]

[Karen Will:1+4=5]
[Derm Will:5-1=4]

Both the dwarf and elf have died. Subjects have a minimum understanding of two-word spells. No knowledge in modifier words and some experience in kinetics and transmutation, either acquired by themselves or seen in other subjects. Big guy has the power of an extra soul. Footless dude has the power of two.
So, this is going to be easy, right?
It seems so. Big dude has been trying to bend metal with the repair ring despite the fact that he saw the dwarf use it to repair his hammer, which is now in his possession and is in a sub-optimum state.
Roger smiled- What about the other?
He managed to keep most of the information to himself.
Hmm.
May we finish them now?
It would be a waste of effort for too little gain. It will be far more interesting once the soul potential gets higher here. You can come first if you want, Timothy.
Karen smiled.
Roger then turned to Karen: Could you clean us, please?

[Karen Will:6+4=10]

She moved a finger and all of the blood was sucked into a tiny sphere, which stayed between the two guys, rotating slightly.
You could have been more careful-Roger said, his whole face being much more red than when he was angry.
Yeah, that gave me a headache.
Just stop complaining and make me something to dispose the blood.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Icefire2314 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RathofSTS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: mastahcheese (click to show/hide)

GM comments
Optional roleplaying for those interested.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 25, 2014, 06:39:08 pm »

I hate to ask, but does "numb" have a status?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 25, 2014, 06:42:44 pm »

I hate to ask, but does "numb" have a status?
I knew that I missed something!

That's [Paralysis]. I'm editing it into the turn.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 197