Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2411864 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #5790 on: June 10, 2014, 11:34:37 am »

If he fails his Will roll, would he get a choice?
((Well, if he fails and picks the Saber, he might dispatch himself. ^_^))
Doesn't answer my question.

(it's kinda like the electro-cannons from the Matrix sequels)
I know it's irrelevant but doesn't Cypher use one near the end of the original?
And it was used on him. Karma!
Oh come on, it's a classic movie and Cypher's one of the bad guys anyway. And Rosebud was his sled.

The gun fires a single bolt of lightning out into space.
Wait, what?

((Quick question, when do I get in?))
Whenever.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:46 am »

Wait, what?
Not real lightning. The Rainbow Cannon is a variable particle accelerator cannon, and since lightning is just a lot of specifically charged particles, it can very well be shot out into space.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5792 on: June 10, 2014, 12:16:08 pm »

Wait, what?
Not real lightning. The Rainbow Cannon is a variable particle accelerator cannon, and since lightning is just a lot of specifically charged particles, it can very well be shot out into space.
I think the Rainbow Cannon just uses space magic to shoot. Because yellow energy mines, green light that becomes spheres that disintigrate stuff whenever it hits something, violet charged explosive energy ball, red plasma beam and now blue lightning. And then there's Indogo Hydra and Orange Nuke that I haven't tested. It's like piecewise took a perplexicon, a gauss cannon and a rainbow and mashed them together into the Rainbow Cannon.

Anyway, the explanation I like for the lightning mode is this:
Lightning is the movement of electrical charges (electrons), usually between the clouds and the ground (but not always, see sprites).
While space is a vacuum, it is by no means a superinsulator (note to self: possible applications for room temperature superinsulators?). That means that it allows the passage of electrical charges.
The light from lightning is usually caused by the ionisation of atmospheric gasses. However, electrical charges themselves accelerating through space can create light under the right conditions. The gun might be doing just that. Or, given that it seems to have a part that acts as a lightning rod, it might generate a channel for the electrical current to accelerate through.
Since saying "a Light Emitting Beam of Electrical Nuclei" is a mouthful (although the acronym could be used to make puns in German) it is easier to say lightning.

But who knows? Maybe it just emits light because the aliens\quiet world humans that created it found it aesthetically pleasing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:21:37 pm by Parisbre56 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:48 pm »

((Also, I kind of agree. We should either stop or move this to OOC, because even though it's relevant to what we're doing here, it's still rather out of character. Though with the timeskips and whatnot perhaps we can explain it as us having in-character debates on the matter in the off hours?))

Moved it.

As to the last point, that would be somewhat out of character for Saint, as he's been going out of his way to not be rude to Anton.  He might start the discussion, but he almost certainly would have droppped it by Chapter 1.  Also, I think a lot of things said in here wouldn't transfer well, such as the meta arguments I've used, and some of the stuff about capabilities of certain things.  I mean, if they were talking I doubt Tinker would be far away, so they could just spawn in whatever items are helpful to the discussion.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5794 on: June 10, 2014, 12:45:45 pm »

((Wat?  We do?  Like what?  And considering that most alien tech needs to be whole to function, as opposed to materials which you only need a shard to figure out what it is... Wat?))
It's called life locks. You can just put life locks into anything automated or that will be used by sods. But more advanced so that they can't be disabled by a mere automanipulator hit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:47:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: June 10, 2014, 01:10:57 pm »

My two/three cents on basic weaponry: Plasma rifles (high-speed preferred), That peizoelectric shard thing one of you is working on, or the Sibelius.

As for more advanced weapons... Can we please figure out a standard body armor/shield thing? That and a more reliable anti-armor weapon or squad-support weapon would be cool.

Though since we're ARM, the anti-armor weapon would probably see more use in our hands.

Then again, maybe we could just start carrying gauss cannons or cutting lasers/heavy lasers everywhere?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: June 10, 2014, 01:13:05 pm »

Moved it.

As to the last point, that would be somewhat out of character for Saint, as he's been going out of his way to not be rude to Anton.  He might start the discussion, but he almost certainly would have droppped it by Chapter 1.  Also, I think a lot of things said in here wouldn't transfer well, such as the meta arguments I've used, and some of the stuff about capabilities of certain things.  I mean, if they were talking I doubt Tinker would be far away, so they could just spawn in whatever items are helpful to the discussion.
Yeah, perhaps they wouldn't be so theoretical about it all.

Could probably communicate each other's concepts better too. :P

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: June 10, 2014, 01:57:49 pm »

Spoiler: More Cents (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: June 10, 2014, 03:20:57 pm »

My two/three cents on basic weaponry: Plasma rifles (high-speed preferred), That peizoelectric shard thing one of you is working on, or the Sibelius.

As for more advanced weapons... Can we please figure out a standard body armor/shield thing? That and a more reliable anti-armor weapon or squad-support weapon would be cool.

Though since we're ARM, the anti-armor weapon would probably see more use in our hands.

Then again, maybe we could just start carrying gauss cannons or cutting lasers/heavy lasers everywhere?

I'm the one working on a mini-PSL.  It certainly occupies the SSW role, regardless of the magazine you use.  Even the small mag allows the gun to fire full-auto for three and a half minutes.  It does lose power over a gauss rifle though, so it probably does poorly against even light armor, and is useless against battlesuits.

As to reliable anti-armor... the full size PSL seems to occupy that role pretty well.  It can penetrate battlesuit plate, and isn't dangerous to the user.  But as far as ARM-designed weapons, I've already made a reusable recoilless rocket launcher that disables battlesuits pretty well.  The only issue with it is that the rocket costs eight tokens, which is probably too expensive even if it is reusable.  I'll be refining that concept in the future.

Also, lasers are useless against battlesuit plate.  They're really just highly effective anti-infantry weapons.

@GWG You can stop posting those cents things.  I don't care, and I don't read them.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: June 10, 2014, 03:35:59 pm »

Just as I don't read your arguments with Mirrsen. It seems to be more of a reflex for GWG than anything else.
Or a compulsion of some sort. Those are annoying to have.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5800 on: June 10, 2014, 03:39:37 pm »

Or a compulsion of some sort. Those are annoying to have.
What are you talking about? I love opening and closing the lights 20 tines before I leave a room! Not to mention taking care of my precious. Gollum, Gollum.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: June 10, 2014, 04:10:29 pm »

I genuinely like the way you guys spoiler your arguments. It allows one to form vivid and entertaining mental images of a world beyond ours, where mortals of low patience fear to tread.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: June 10, 2014, 05:32:44 pm »

I genuinely like the way you guys spoiler your arguments. It allows one to form vivid and entertaining mental images of a world beyond ours, where mortals of low patience fear to tread.
Also, some of them sound like they could be collected into books/volumes and sold.

EDIT FOR GWG: On the Sibilius, maybe instead of trying gas recoil methods, you could try simply making the rifle easier to control? Like better grips/padded stock/etc.? Maybe make it lighter, but reduce recoil too if you go that route.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:48:42 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: June 10, 2014, 05:46:53 pm »

I had the idea of a Positron Beam as a sort of anti-EVERYTHING weapon, using manips to create the positrons and direct them to where the target is. I'm not sure exactly how practical it is though. I'm pretty sure I need a way to create a vacuum to prevent the beam from interacting with the atmosphere, as that would be deleterious to the health of the operator as the positron stream creates matter/antimatter energy bursts from interacting with the air molecules. Also, with all the manips required for this(at it's most basic, I need at least two), as well as the power source required for this, it's not gonna be cheap.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: June 10, 2014, 05:54:11 pm »

Those arguments or cents look more like sidecommentary than any sort of argument in any definition. :P
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 2205