Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 679374 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #780 on: April 24, 2014, 09:54:23 pm »

There's already two crossbow squads. Presumably, you're saying this to Gnora, but it seems a bit of a random thing to just walk up to someone and say.

I don't know why he'd say that to Gnora. I assumed it was to Vlad or Cornelius.
Either way it really don't make no sense, y'hear?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 24, 2014, 11:29:02 pm »

I just thought it was Gnora because of the crossbow squad thing, though it would make more sense for him to say that to Cornelius at the moment.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 25, 2014, 01:02:31 am »

Letter from Gnora to Vladimir Uristovitch
You Ass
--
Vlad,

You are such a rude little ass, ain't you? All you do is whine about my beer while guzzling it down yourself. One of these days you going—sorry, "goingk—" to pick a fight with someone you can't beat, and you can bet that I'll be there to laugh. Where I lived, we got the occasional mersenary and you are nothing like them. I reckon that you never even had a taste of sunshine, though I might could see you stealing from a duke's flask. I don't know what Miss Thane see's in you, but I'll be praying for her; I do declare that if I was your girl I'd hang myself. Go back to the barracks and get yourself eaten by a trog.

Sincerely,
Miss Gnora

P.S.: The abbreveation for "captin" is capt.!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 25, 2014, 02:49:50 am »

EDIT: OOC: Can you put Flame in her own squad with the only part of the uniform her axe, so she carries it around?
"You know my clan did only drink the spirits of sun plants, which in my eyes a better taste then plump helmets *Cough Cough* Also did you get my message about wanting to start a crossbow squad."
Ok, will do that.

The traditional "evening prayer" turned into scandal. First Gnora were suddenly angry with that sunberries farm, then Vlad called her crazy for that, others joined this or that side, and quarrel arose to enormous degree. Cornelius tried to calm everyone down, but it had no effect. Harsh times need harsh measures... Some recruit came in avoiding the main crowd and whispered to Cornelius
- Padre, Sir Brenzen sends you a message. There're are goblin sieging us. At least 20 of them, and a group of trolls comming. Their leader is a crossbowman with signs of great skill, so our archers are in danger even if covered by fortifications. We should be ready now!
Oh, those news. Cornelius took the biggest and the oldest barrel of plumphelmet wine, put in on the shoulder, calmly walked in the middle of angry crowd and with a raging cry smashed it at the floor. Everyone silenced.
- ENOUGH!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING, DWARVES?! ALL THAT QUARREL FROM SUCH A WORTHLESS REASON!
Gnora. Your reasons aren't significant, we already have seeds of sunberries in our stocks, so we don't have to import anything. You don't have to plant them if you don't want to, there are other farmers and brewers here. Vladimir, your manners leave much to be desired, I think you should take a lesson or two on them. Gnora, you too.
And to cut the meeting right here, we're under siege! So nobody even thinks of leaving the walls. There's a master sniper, so fortifications aren't safe. Medics are to stay at the hospital and around. Vlad, Thane - join Sir Brenzen and develop the strategy.
Also, there's elven caravan at the depot, behind the gate. If we need something specific, provide your requests to the broker.
AMEN, bastards brothers!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 25, 2014, 03:00:54 pm »

Gnora's Journal
Exotic Booze
--
The Padre just doesn't understand; even if we plant ourselves the sunberries, we'll still be submitting to the foreign influence. Soon, we'll be importing valley herbs and rubbing the salve over us until we turned gold. Next thing you know, the foreign hordes will be on our gates, and we'll welcome them and their forks with open arms. Well not me; I'd rather not submit to this exotic booze from way out yonder, even if the Padre thinks I'm expendable as a result.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 25, 2014, 03:28:06 pm »

Gnora's Journal
Exotic Booze
--
The Padre just doesn't understand; even if we plant ourselves the sunberries, we'll still be submitting to the foreign influence. Soon, we'll be importing valley herbs and rubbing the salve over us until we turned gold. Next thing you know, the foreign hordes will be on our gates, and we'll welcome them and their forks with open arms. Well not me; I'd rather not submit to this exotic booze from way out yonder, even if the Padre thinks I'm expendable as a result.

Wow, so now we know the real reason Gnora hates Vlad. She's just a virulent racist.
Well and also because she's more than a tad thick. We are dealing with dwarves here after all. I don't expect a great degree of logic from beings willing to risk their lives for socks.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 25, 2014, 03:44:46 pm »

I think that would be more 'speciesist,' though I would assume that everyone would be so in a world with four different civilized creatures, some more than others, though. As for Vlad, its more that he's (to her) a rude, smelly, lewd, lazy, and utterly disrespectful dwarf, though there may be subconscious dislike for his accent and insistence that the alcohol in her civilization is crap.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 25, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »

I think that would be more 'speciesist,' though I would assume that everyone would be so in a world with four different civilized creatures, some more than others, though. As for Vlad, its more that he's (to her) a rude, smelly, lewd, lazy, and utterly disrespectful dwarf, though there may be subconscious dislike for his accent and insistence that the alcohol in her civilization is crap.

Nah, I'm definitely calling the race card. She simply must have to have a thing against outlanders if she hates the dwarf I carefully tailored to be a boorish sociopath.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 25, 2014, 05:00:54 pm »

I believe that you still haven't told me why those things were put in Gnora's office.

Sleep deprivation. Mine, not Tarmid's. Maybe.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 25, 2014, 05:10:45 pm »

Nah, I'm definitely calling the race card. She simply must have to have a thing against outlanders if she hates the dwarf I carefully tailored to be a boorish sociopath.
You caught me, she's a racist!

I believe that you still haven't told me why those things were put in Gnora's office.

Sleep deprivation. Mine, not Tarmid's. Maybe.
I could see it as Tarmid's too. After all, he has been prone to it in the past. I can imagine him carrying the stones into the office, carefully setting them up and observing their movements, only to realize as he is about to leave that the office lacks the scrolls, tomes, and reports of his. Right as he gets ready to remove them, Gnora comes in, gets all twinkle-eyed, and thanks him for the "nice gifts." Tarmid doesn't have the heart to remove them.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 25, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »

"In a world where there are many sentient species, black and white live in perfect harmony and gang up on green." (Terry Pratchett)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 25, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »

some time ago:
 I poked my nose into Tarmid's office...
huh. Where were the thaumometers?

more recently:

Ah.  so instead of a large number of thaumometers, all the gems were put together to form a thaumometric array.  But why, oh why, was it in gnora's office?

I scratched my head in puzzlement...and then stuck my tongue out in irritation.

1. a thaumometric array would be more difficult to hide from; with normal thaumometers, I could maniuplate up to 10 dwaums (dwarf+thaum: the amont of magic output of a median dwarf); with an array, i'd risk detection at somewhere between 2 and 3 dwaums. 
2. Attempting to recalibrate an array for personal use would be easier than calibrating a thaumometer, but putting it back to the way I found it would be like trying to play lights out while piloting a tardis. *
3.  A standard thaumometer could boost a typical dwarf from 1 dwaum to...between 20 and 1000 dwaums.  Powerfull as I was, I wasn't sure I was powerfull enough to fight someone wielding an entire thaumometric array... **

*If my dwarf hadn't gotten so depressed, he'd be wielding a thaumometer like a sonic screwdriver by now.  Like the original sonic screwdriver, it wouldn't work on wood. 

**Emdief's thaumometer gave him a magic boost; he simply shoved all of it into disrupting other magic. My dwarf is just realizing that he never measured how strong the boost was. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 25, 2014, 06:47:05 pm »

I'd have pegged Vladamir more as 'cheerfully pragmatic' than as a sociopath, though maybe I'm just invested in believing the best in him.

Also, I don't think Thane's militia squad was ever activated for training, so most of them are still pretty unskilled. Sending them to battle against a siege might get a lot of them killed. Though Thane dying would be an interesting development for Vladamir.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 25, 2014, 07:40:41 pm »

**Emdief's thaumometer gave him a magic boost; he simply shoved all of it into disrupting other magic. My dwarf is just realizing that he never measured how strong the boost was.

I personally like to imagine that Emdief's high magic resistance was a result of divine intervention, and that he/she/it is being used by Armok as an assassin. After all, he/she/it is being granted passage to and from the afterlife on a repeated basis, and I prefer to think there's some overlying plan about that rather than a series of coincidences. Not to mention Emdief does at one point carry a message from Armok to Oku, although its during their final confrontation. I imagine Emdief's knowledge of he/she/its purpose is rather hazy.
This theory (your theory, and I think 4mask also had a theory at some point about the nature of Emdief's resistance) makes events at Steelhold even more confusing and ominous. What exactly was it Oku was doing that would justify such extreme intervention in mortal affairs? Armok generally doesn't do squat to save his creations. Oku and her 'True Gods' are confirmed to be hated by Armok to the extreme, to the point that he gives people otherwise condemned to hell mere purgatory if they even opposed them in spirit.
I feel like the Fall of Steelhold was the metaphorical visible tip of the iceberg in a much greater conflict, one carried out beyond mortal comprehension. Some potential other instances in this conflict can be seen;

-An earlier demonic breach occured at some point (with Moisturizer) but it was covered up by the Queen.
-High-ranking dwarves in the kingdom funded and sanctioned an attempt to replace dwarven body parts (even parts of the mind, although that was doomed to get precisely nowhere) but where killed when discovered. It could have been because the Queen dissaproved... or it could be due to their carelessness and general incompetence putting an overall  objective at risk.
-The Queen was later confirmed by Rhaken to have conspired with vampires (and, somehow, with cyclops) to murder her way to the throne. Also, cyclops repeatedly attacked Steelhold. Vampires are generally enemies of the Old Gods, although they are responsible for their creation.

-If Oku is taken as a trustworthy source (the Codex Arcana is amazing, by the way. I hope 4mask keeps it up) the Demons were the children of the True Gods, cursed with insanity. Emdief later states that Armok did something to the demons.
-A mine was flooded with magma for no discernable reason. Firecrazy may have been framed, or (as he later becomes a flaming berserker for no apparent reason) something else might have pushed him into it. I like to think this was actually Armok/the Old Gods preventing another attempted breach.

Basically, I think that Steelhold wasn't just a fortress; it was a battleground between gods Old and True. Almost all the characters we saw were unwittingly (for most of them; some were wittingly) manipulated into a hellbreach. However, I don't think everything went according to plan. If the Bloodkin were purposefully created for the purpose of killing Armok's children (probably to avenge the loss of the demons), they aren't precisely what the True Gods intended. This would be because precisely nobody reckoned on Corley; although apparently at odds with the other progenitors of the Bloodkin, he really struck me as a self-serving, chaotic and unplanned actor. How much Corley's influence messed up the Bloodkin, I cannot say, but I suspect that his interference/the successful repression of the cult at least means that the Bloodkin are not active worshippers of the true gods.

Appologies for long post, I love me some lore theorizing.  :-\

EDIT: @Asmoth: Vlad could be a sociopath, but in the style of real life sociopaths rather than Hollywood style. As in he doesn't have a complete lack of emotion, but is rather typically emotional. And has a reduced rather than completely absent capacity to experience empathy.
Sociopaths IRL are capable of having true friendships and even romantic feelings, at least in minor cases. They are mostly characterized by reduced capacity for empathy and guilt. To put this in perspective, some estimates state that 1 in 100 people is a functional sociopath, meaning you've probably met a few and don't know it. 2spooky.

So, I'd say he genuinely cares for his friends, Thane and the members of the militia, although in the later case it might be because even if he doesn't empathize with them personally he knows what it's like to be on the receiving end of terribly thought out orders. But I do know this, although it hasn't been made obvious on purpose; Vlad is carefully maintaining a facade to mask his true thoughts and motivations. This is why he goes from being a somewhat silly, harsh pragmatist with a heart o' gold to a serious and ruthless tactician at times.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:49:29 pm by MDFification »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 25, 2014, 07:48:21 pm »

In that case I'm not sure which side Flame is on - she's the ambassador of the demons, and she absolutely does not want the dwarves to invade hell. She knows what happens when dwarves (at least in succession forts) fight demons, and she doesn't want her brethren to get killed.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 172