Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 282062 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF2 HAS FINISHED!
« Reply #3675 on: May 11, 2017, 04:51:27 pm »

I was just forlornly staring at the GitHub as a matter of fact.
What a coincidence!

Though in my case it's more staring at the code trying to remember which bits to store on the page so an entirely different script can do battle calcs with them (my eternal hatred for programmatically figuring out weapon triangles shines bright here). You can call multiple functions from one web element, though, so updating HP/QL after the battle calcs have messed with it is doable.

- How do I import/export sheets on a desktop app? (Probably not too hard but I need to do research.)
- Am I going to have special setup requirements or can I make this work with just an .exe?
- I imagine I'd need to have a thing built into the app that will say "there's a new update!" or something.
- Probably lots of other things that I can't anticipate.

The potential for a desktop app is much greater. You could actually build off of that code to make a proper thing that could do more of the GMing tasks, but for now I'm just thinking about a battle calculator.

Thoughts?
-Pretty much the same. The advantage of JSON import/export is that it's automatic. Manual parsing is tedious but pretty simple once you settle on a format. EXEs also aren't as touchy about messing with the hard drive as web pages, so storing/retrieving files locally rather than manually copy+pasting is easier.
-The latter, though feeding in external files (custom weapons, existing charsheets) might be nice.
-Trying to get it to check for updates strikes me as overly complicated.
-GUI creation, for one. If you've gotten familiar enough with that in C# that you'd prefer it to HTML/CSS, there's no problem. Otherwise, we'd be taking a step down graphically.

There's also the more general danger in abandoning stuff you have to build a newer and better version. Sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes it forms a vicious cycle. :<

EDIT:
Ayy so any updates on that calculator thing? :v
Might as well mention the specific status of what we currently have.

The basic import/create/export characters and their stats bits work great. If you want to fill in stats for your character and give them a set of weapons and then click through the dropdowns calling them and seeing their stats appear in different boxes, we got you. There are two major problems from there.

The first and by far pettier issue is that I've stalled in creating what I'm calling the "team editor." Basically, there's no way to delete characters or teams within the program. This can be done manually by deleting JSON code, but that's a little unprofessional and obnoxious. So I've been "working" on a lower section of the page to handle selecting individual characters or teams (that is, characters whose "team" field matches the one you've selected), and then deleting or leveling them up.

I probably shouldn't have gone off faffing about with extras like "remove enemies once the map is over with one button click" while the battle calculator still doesn't calculate battles, but I thought getting the levelup feature in there would be worth it, because everyone says leveling is stupidly tedious, but it's also stupidly simple, and that is exactly the kind of thing you should have robots doing for you.

Anyway, the other and more serious issue is that the battle calculator doesn't calculate battles. This is complicated by the fact that we were going to keep battle scripts separate from stat calculating/storage/display scripts, but that means battle scripts can't access the main script's variables, which means we need to store anything the battle calcs needs on the page. This is far from impossible (hidden page elements are a thing) but figuring out how to store and process it all is a little frazzling. Plus then we have to call some other script to update HP/QL values afterwards, which adds another layer of Maybe I Should Play Crusader Kings II And Work On This In Just A Moment.

It's also, like most of this project, inhibited somewhat by the fact that FEF is just brimming with weird exceptions, which means every single thing we do involves at least a brief pause to wonder whether we're going to handle that one special case where axes deal magic damage using speed as its damage attribute on a reversed weapon triangle.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:04:52 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: May 11, 2017, 11:32:03 pm »

axes... using speed as its damage attribute...

Holy shit, now there's a unique weapon idea.
I think that would make speed wretchedly overpowered.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: May 11, 2017, 11:50:34 pm »

SPD is already the godstat, it doesn't need to ascend to literal godhood :v
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: May 12, 2017, 12:53:38 am »

Cheese's avatar is perfect for his post. XD
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: May 12, 2017, 09:02:28 am »

axes... using speed as its damage attribute...

Holy shit, now there's a unique weapon idea.
I think that would make speed wretchedly overpowered.

I can see only upsides.

Good to hear the calculator's still comic along, though. Feared it was a dead project a while ago. Perhaps this will usher in a new FEF golden era, increasing the maximum sanity value for FEF GMs from "none" to "a little bit."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: May 12, 2017, 09:43:13 am »

Nah, I mean like restricting it to like a single S rank weapon. It's fiiiiiiiine.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: May 12, 2017, 10:09:57 am »

ohey it's ffs

what is this sanity you keep talking about

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: May 12, 2017, 03:06:22 pm »

Cheese's avatar is perfect for his post. XD
Which one was it? Mine's on a rotator, so there are a bunch.

I think that sanity is only something that sane people have.
I can't imagine it being on this forum.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: May 17, 2017, 03:11:17 pm »

Well it seems pretty likely its my hard drive has spontaneously died, along with everything on it, includig maps for DSE and mugs. Also the half done 1.4 but I hadn't touched that in ages so whatever.

Prospects for recovery are low. Dunno when I'll have a computer next.

Obviously DSE is suspended or dead. I'll probably be around less because hey, no computer.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: May 17, 2017, 03:22:09 pm »

;-;
Black lives matter.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: May 17, 2017, 03:28:57 pm »

I mean, you're still in Gates of Rundam, SB
If you post soon that is :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: May 18, 2017, 10:33:39 pm »

As a more-or-less complete newbie to FEF, is there any material other than the handbook that I should be taking a good look at? The Handbook's been great, but I have a feeling that I'm going to need all the help I can get.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: May 19, 2017, 06:34:00 am »

Reading earlier FEF games (especially the numbered ones by Haspen) is a good start. There are some over on Serene's Forest, too.
Black lives matter.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: May 19, 2017, 06:43:47 am »

First post of this thread has FEF1 in pdf format if you'd rather read that :v
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 300