Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 82337 times)

salsaheaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #645 on: December 04, 2015, 11:32:16 am »

Not sure how active the Orcs still are, but I am facing a major bug.

I cannot build a Freelancers Guild (where you can get out to raid). Whenever I try one i can select anything I need to build it (I think some coffers), but whenever I quit the building just disappears.

Any idea?

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 04, 2015, 11:39:05 pm »

It and a few other orc buildings are only permitted outside I think. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #647 on: May 17, 2016, 02:32:02 am »

Meph casts thread-necromancy.

Give me your orc suggestions!

Suggestions from my end:
- Ogres as friendly units.
- Creature-spawning workshop, like an Orc Beastmaster. Uses dfhack "create-unit" to make wargs, tames trolls, etc.
- Beast-Armory workshop, using dfhacks "modtools/equip-item" to put actual armor on pets.
- Spiritwalking workshop, like a Dreamwalkers Lodge, using dfhacks "strangemood" to induce strange moods on the worker, and control them slightly. Like setting their preferences for item-type and materials.
- Allow labor cells / prisoners to teach skill that fit them, for example dwarven prisoners teach mining/metalworking skills, etc.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #648 on: May 17, 2016, 02:53:26 am »

Suggestions from my end:
- Creature-spawning workshop, like an Orc Beastmaster. Uses dfhack "create-unit" to make wargs, tames trolls, etc.
- Beast-Armory workshop, using dfhacks "modtools/equip-item" to put actual armor on pets.
- Spiritwalking workshop, like a Dreamwalkers Lodge, using dfhacks "strangemood" to induce strange moods on the worker, and control them slightly. Like setting their preferences for item-type and materials.
- Allow labor cells / prisoners to teach skill that fit them, for example dwarven prisoners teach mining/metalworking skills, etc.
With the new taverns/etc implementations, I would love to see Orcs 'corrupt' things into doing their dirty work, or something along those lines.
The big draw for orcs for me has always been their unique and deep culture.
Oh and the drydocks. Always bugged me that you could use them in say, a desert. If possible I would love to see that drydocks are only possible with a water source such as a river or ocean and introduce a building which serves the same purpose, 'Raiding house' or whatnot.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggetions!
« Reply #649 on: May 17, 2016, 03:00:18 am »

Waaagh! mechanics, the more orcs fighting together, the more rage, strength and discipline they get. Even civilians are a dangerous force if you send enough of them.

And of course set their values and personalities to get the 'cause trouble' and 'fight' needs high, so they get good moods from combat.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:01:59 am by Boltgun »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 17, 2016, 03:44:08 am »

Suggestions from my end:
With the new taverns/etc implementations, I would love to see Orcs 'corrupt' things into doing their dirty work, or something along those lines.
The big draw for orcs for me has always been their unique and deep culture.
Oh and the drydocks. Always bugged me that you could use them in say, a desert. If possible I would love to see that drydocks are only possible with a water source such as a river or ocean and introduce a building which serves the same purpose, 'Raiding house' or whatnot.
isn't the drydocks called that because orks use an Airship than a normal water stuff? you float across the land in Blimps looking for folks to raid.
god imagine a ork invasion where they just airdrop troops down onto your fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 17, 2016, 04:42:38 am »

... isn't the drydocks called that because orks use an Airship than a normal water stuff? ...

A dry-dock is a special part of the harbor where ships are physically removed from the water so repairs and general maintenance can be done on the hull. A dock for airships is called a "mooring mast".

--

Immobile "Battle Standard" pets made out of totems that boost morale to orcs in sight of it. Small, cumulative effects would be pretty neat, so a tribe noticeably grows in strength with every slain enemy.

An orc-only "reinvigoration" syndrome from contact with elf-blood, vengeance has been had and honor restored!

IIRC, orcs are supposed to be mostly above-ground, so maybe make them more irritable and tantrum prone when they're cooped up away from the sunlight? I don't really see them picking the "flight" option very often when fear of the dark gets them antsy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:50:32 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 17, 2016, 09:59:07 am »

Although our orcs don't exactly follow any particular literary tradition, and are flexible gameplay wise by design, Tolkien is still one of the main references.  In Middle earth, orcs were bred at the very roots of the world in the eerie dark pits of Utumno and mostly lived in deep places (Angband, Moria, Gundabad, Misty Mountains, etc.).  Just as comfortable below ground as dwarves, fine miners when needed although they'd quite rather pillage and occupy a dwarf site when possible.  Some of the tribes were in fact pretty cave adapted and feared or hated sunlight.  In Orc Fortress "lore", to the extent that is a thing, this type of tradition is reflected in the Mountain Clans backstory & embark loadout. 

Edit.
Although, surface dwelling "Steppe Clan" forts seem to be a forum favorite.  Which is great, working as intended that multiple styles are possible.  In the new version I am proposing that ironbone (or bonemold, as I'd rather call it) be a little weaker that it was in Old Masterwork so that surface orcs still have incentive to kill & loot invaders or strip mine for iron.  What do you all think?  Balance wise I think the upgraded organic metal Bloodsteel can still be pretty strong and we can tune for balance how hard it is to craft.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:06:13 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #653 on: May 17, 2016, 10:15:16 am »

Bonemold: Technically speaking its bone ground up, mixed with ash, hardened at a furnace. Stiff, but brittle. Not sharp by any means.

My suggestion: Leave it at irongrade, make it lighter than iron, remove ITEM_WEAPONS and ITEM_AMMO from it. Make it a armor-only material. Thats both more realistic and forces you to get "real" metals for weapons.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 17, 2016, 10:34:35 am »

Bonemold: Technically speaking its bone ground up, mixed with ash, hardened at a furnace. Stiff, but brittle. Not sharp by any means.

My suggestion: Leave it at irongrade, make it lighter than iron, remove ITEM_WEAPONS and ITEM_AMMO from it. Make it a armor-only material. Thats both more realistic and forces you to get "real" metals for weapons.

Not a bad idea.  We have to make sure people can gear up in time for the early year 2 invations (which is the fun of orc mode of course).  Still can go for rock or bone clubs & tomahawks, maybe spears, and obsidian or gem macuhuitls, which should be enough to waylay some dwarves and take their stuff.  I'd say lets try it that way and see what people think. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #655 on: May 17, 2016, 11:21:05 am »

the early year 2 invations
not a thing anymore. As I mentioned in a PM some time, armies now move across the map. Siege-timings are very, very different now.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:13 am »

the early year 2 invations
not a thing anymore. As I mentioned in a PM some time, armies now move across the map. Siege-timings are very, very different now.

Awww.  Right, i sort of knew that.  All the more reason we won't need iron grade axes immediately.  Well, Hopefully the new system is great too.

This total ignorance on my part illustrates to everyone how much we'll need your help with gameflow and balance testing this time around ;D

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 17, 2016, 11:32:31 am »

So, sites can be left and revisited without abadnoning, right?  Does this mean we could have succession world where a Dwarf and Orc fort are founded like, 10 miles apart and can alternate turns in a community game format?  Would that increase the odds or strength of invasions at the neighbor site  ??? 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #658 on: May 17, 2016, 01:18:57 pm »

So, sites can be left and revisited without abadnoning, right?  Does this mean we could have succession world where a Dwarf and Orc fort are founded like, 10 miles apart and can alternate turns in a community game format?  Would that increase the odds or strength of invasions at the neighbor site  ???
Yes, that should be possible.  :o

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 17, 2016, 01:42:34 pm »

As a thought, how about the ability to make obsidian like the dwarves with one of the MW workshops(but less efficiently, or maybe magma locked with a blueprint), and(this may not be possible) a Honer<--->Waaghh mechanic that makes the individual OR the group stronger (respectively) but not both
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46