Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971419 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion: checking dates is for squares edition.
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2015, 06:46:10 am »

But what guidance? They're all guided by the Astronimican, which is basically a psychic lighthouse. And you're sending millions of missiles into the darkest psychic fog in the universe.

And what Radio Controlled said.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2015, 06:50:30 am »

Can't the missiles be sent to train with the Grey Knights so their machine spirits won't get corrupted by the warp? If that happened, I think the Emperor might make a tiny exception and focus his psychic energy to illuminating the Eye of Terror for just a little bit so the machine spirits have a clear line of sight to their targets.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2015, 06:57:38 am »

The Emperor is sorta caught up in a ten thousand year old battle with all four Chaos Gods. One slip up can royally screw humanity for eternity. Plus he's not actually the Machine God. He just posed as him to the Tech-Priest. They have an actual god though.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 05, 2015, 07:03:09 am »

Pretty sure for guidance you need a Navigator.

Also the Eye of Terror is in the Warp. Things move a lot. There's also the question of what they'd actually do to a demon world. A virus bomb against a planet dedicated to Nurgle would just fit in rather than do damage.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 05, 2015, 07:07:10 am »

The Emperor is sorta caught up in a ten thousand year old battle with all four Chaos Gods. One slip up can royally screw humanity for eternity. Plus he's not actually the Machine God. He just posed as him to the Tech-Priest. They have an actual god though.
So what if he's not the Machine God? There's no reason to believe that Exterminatus missiles can't be made to worship the Emperor. Even if they can't, can't a Grey Knight just pilot it himself? Grots do that easily enough with certain types of ammunition, I'm told.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 05, 2015, 07:10:11 am »

Yeah, how do orks travel through the Warp? I know they can and they do it often, but they don't have navigators, and their psykers don't draw from the Warp.

NINJA'D: Machines can't worship. They're all spirits and in essence, one with the Machine God. And what do you mean, pilot it? Also, what Gig said.
Dying of laughter?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 05, 2015, 07:14:14 am »

Yeah, how do orks travel through the Warp? I know they can and they do it often, but they don't have navigators, and their psykers don't draw from the Warp.

They are in connection to the Warp, and the means to enter the Warp are technological anyway. They strap rockets to roks and fling them into the Warp - often randomly, but I'm pretty sure Waaaghs target specific worlds and sectors too... maybe they navigate by believing really strongly that they'll get where they want to go?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 05, 2015, 07:15:36 am »

Yeah, I guess they just handwave it. Like everything else about orks. Handwaving is a genetic function for them
Dying of laughter?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:42 am »

If you're going to send in crew, you need a Geller Field, so that's more on each missile.

You'll need weaponry and crew to man them to fend off chaos ships and stormtroopers to fight off demons that get through anyway.

You'd need armour and shields so chaos ships can't just shoot the thing.

You'd need a ship. Imperium can't really spare thousands of ships to ineffectively suicide run the eye of terror.

So what if he's not the Machine God? There's no reason to believe that Exterminatus missiles can't be made to worship the Emperor. Even if they can't, can't a Grey Knight just pilot it himself? Grots do that easily enough with certain types of ammunition, I'm told.

Somewhat different scale with grotbombs and piloting inter dimensional missiles.

They are in connection to the Warp, and the means to enter the Warp are technological anyway. They strap rockets to roks and fling them into the Warp - often randomly, but I'm pretty sure Waaaghs target specific worlds and sectors too... maybe they navigate by believing really strongly that they'll get where they want to go?

Orks are drawn to a Waaagh! so it'd be a mixture of luck, weirdboyz, and the gestalt powers of orks.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 05, 2015, 07:20:13 am »

NINJA'D: Machines can't worship. They're all spirits and in essence, one with the Machine God. And what do you mean, pilot it? Also, what Gig said.
I think a grot gets launched from a missile launcher holding the missile and then it kinda surfs the missile to aim it so it hits its target....I think. Basically, a Grey Knight does that, though with presumably more sophisticated tools to aim it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 05, 2015, 07:27:21 am »

As I said, slightly different scale from
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To an inter dimensional missile.

And you need a navigator and a warp drive and a Geller field and all the various things that makes a ship a ship to have a nebulous effect anyway.

Oh, you turned a planet's atmosphere to fire? There were doubtlessly demon worlds with that anyway. And the chaos gods could easily intervene and turn them around or something.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 05, 2015, 07:33:11 am »

And the chaos gods could easily intervene and turn them around or something.
Ah, forgot that that's something that could happen.

So why don't they give the Emperor a text-to-speech device? It couldn't cost the Emperor that much mental power to press a few buttons, could it?

Also, Solar Macharius was f*cking awesome. This isn't relevant to any discussion - he was just awesome.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 05, 2015, 07:45:28 am »

He has the Emperor's Tarot, if that's what you mean.
Dying of laughter?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 05, 2015, 09:12:16 am »

Yeah, ITEHASTTDevice is incredibly sloppy on basically all lore.
Although it's still hilarious.

As far as I and the wiki are aware, the emperor's "alive-ness" is minimal and contentious.
Basically the only things he is capable of doing currently is being a passive conduit of psychic energy which powers the failed warpway gate in the back of the palace, and being the figurative "north" on the astronomicon's psychic compass.

So no, the man ain't guiding no missiles into the gates of hell.

This being said, GW seems to be leaning towards a "Chaos wins, everyone go home" style storyline.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:14:46 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:36 am »

This being said, GW seems to be leaning towards a "Chaos wins, everyone go home" style storyline.

Makes sense, Chaos is essentially a metaphor for mankind's self destructive failings, the general decline of all things towards entropy and looking good in spiky armour, so it being the inevitable victor is sensible in a setting all about the failings of mankind and the decline of things.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 824