Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971300 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2445 on: January 04, 2016, 09:27:02 pm »

Have you ever run into Tau FireStorm Spam with said Infantry army, Tack? I think it would be...interesting. >:D
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: January 04, 2016, 10:30:44 pm »

The only Tau player I know hates them and switched to grey knights.
So, not really.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: January 05, 2016, 05:43:26 am »

So I'm going to visit the States soon, specifically LA, and maybe while I'm there I could start my very own 40k army! So are there specific shops that sell them in LA, and do they sell the paints and other tools necessary? I'm thinking of a Space Marine army to start.

I'm kinda unsure about it though. Firstly, the cost. Secondly, once I paint them I don't have anyone to play with (I live in the Philippines). That isn't so much of a problem though because I mostly just like the look of them. Thirdly, the cost again. I've seen the retail prices on the GW store... and that's not including the paint, the knives and the scissors for cutting stuff.

Can I just use a regular pair of scissors and a box-opener? And is there specific type of paint to use for miniatures? I'm trying to limit the cost to just the models...
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: January 05, 2016, 05:57:07 am »

If you are going into it for the looks more than to play then you could simply buy posterboy models, a few marines and a few (maybe a single) vehicles. That would reduce a lot the expenses.
Then if you feel like you can expend more do so. If you feel you won't really play with them, then why bother buying more for mere display?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: January 05, 2016, 06:49:45 am »

My decimator daemon engines. Kept meaning to post these earlier like I said I was going to but... [insert excuse here].

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also settled on a final design for my converted Berzerkers.

Got some FW Rampager shoulderpads off ebay to get them properly marked as World Eaters, they're actually the first non-HQ models that I've given proper Legion markings, and the HQ models that have them are named characters with them built in.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: January 05, 2016, 06:58:40 am »

Wow, those look amazing.... Maybe I should buy a single thing and heavily customize it? Do they sell boxes of stuff you can customize with?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: January 05, 2016, 07:10:14 am »

Wow, those look amazing.... Maybe I should buy a single thing and heavily customize it? Do they sell boxes of stuff you can customize with?

Other than a few upgrade frames to make generic marines more chapter specific, with only a few chapters available, not really.  :(

FW does some customization stuff that's very pretty, but you wind up spending a small fortune on it. To make Renegade Guardsmen with their kits costs about 3 times as much as making normal guardsmen. Making a squad of World Eaters with their kits costs about twice as much as making normal chaos marines.

There are a bunch of other mini companies that make GW compatible bits with quite a lot of variety like Puppetswar, maxmini and Anvil Industries.

The cheapest way to get bits for customization is to buy them 2nd hand from people who have them spare. Bitz sites and ebay usually have a lot between them but some parts are so popular/vital that you just can't get them without buying a full kit. Getting enough chainswords + bolt pistols to do a Black Templars army for example is very difficult since most Space Marine kits only have a couple except the Assault Marines who need theirs.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: January 05, 2016, 07:37:03 am »

Can I just use a regular pair of scissors and a box-opener? And is there specific type of paint to use for miniatures? I'm trying to limit the cost to just the models...

For plastic models, I've used krazy glue to attach the parts together.  Should work for the metal ones, too.  I have a special pair of model scissors to cut the parts off the sprue, they look sorta like small pliers.  Could use an exacto knife too, maybe.  I also have a simple nail file to sand off any excess or leftover sprue

As for paint, I just use a spray can of white acrylic primer to paint the whole sprues.  Followed by normal acrylic paints.

Its all stuff you can find at a standard arts-and-crafts store, especially one that carries model cars or the like.  There's probably much better methods, but with this and some skill and time could make something decent.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: January 05, 2016, 09:14:26 am »

I don't mind the citadel sprue cutters, but I'd definitely invest in an exacto knife.
And if you plan on working with epoxy plasticine or green stuff or whatever, get a tool for that.
The GW ones are notoriously bad. I use a leather punch, a friend uses a croquet needle.
Depends on your style.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: January 05, 2016, 11:00:48 am »

I enjoy that I have changed the meta at my flgs.

The meta was terminator terminator terminators, then I bought an Exterminator and began melting twice its value in points off the board each turn.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: January 05, 2016, 11:30:41 am »

Similar to what happened to the meta worldwide.
Terminatorspam led to plasmaspam led to vehiclespam.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: January 06, 2016, 02:28:26 pm »

I should make an army of shining spears with allied rough riders

no one would be expecting that.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: January 06, 2016, 04:54:42 pm »

Go the full hog.

Shining spears allied with rough riders allied with CQB space marine bikers allied with chaos demon chariots allied with khornate cavalry with a Squiggoth as a LOW
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: January 06, 2016, 09:00:23 pm »

Go the full hog.

Shining spears allied with rough riders allied with CQB space marine bikers allied with chaos demon chariots allied with khornate cavalry with a Squiggoth as a LOW

That would be a fun one-off apoc army.  One great big motorcycle gang where everyone is invited.

I'm just saying I've never seen anyone run shining spears, and I've seen a unit of rough riders maybe once.  Last I checked they don't even sell rough rider models anymore.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2459 on: January 08, 2016, 01:33:37 pm »

I enjoy that I have changed the meta at my flgs.

The meta was terminator terminator terminators, then I bought an Exterminator and began melting twice its value in points off the board each turn.
Reminds me of when fliers and doubleheavy infantry were all the jazz, so in the tourney I suggested our team just field conscript spam with unlimited Chekhov respam. Endless waves of conscripts with bucket loads of frfsrf dice, terminators trapped inside of vehicles they can't exit, deep strike impossible because the entire map is covered in conscripts, not even flamers and fliers could kill the conscripts faster than they arrived on the map
It was horrifying, conscripts everywhere - one of the funniest things ever is seeing the endless swarm of the tyranids being outmassed and outswarmed by endless conscripts. And if they wanted to retreat? Friendly commissar only needed to kill a few of them to make them stand and fight, it's not like there was ever going to be a shortage of them
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 824