Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965419 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4110 on: May 06, 2016, 01:47:53 pm »

IMO your flames are too isolated. Gotta drybrush a bit of burnt orange/maroon onto the top of his arm and helmet face.

That being said, pretty awesome work. Every time I try to sculpt I generally wind up with a ball of green stuff and billions of empty boozebottles.

In other news putting my two cents in for a conversation some 30 pages back re: psychic population re:guardsmen- pretty sure most wydvane squads are all of the low-level psychers which are being picked up recently.
Basically given a one-month crash-course on psychic powers, given over to a squad leader who can use their power to make stuff happen and a commissar whose prerogative it is to shoot the screaming ones.

I mean, personally would rather be a grey knight, considering they're just as powerful re: tabletop.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: May 06, 2016, 01:53:32 pm »

IMO your flames are too isolated. Gotta drybrush a bit of burnt orange/maroon onto the top of his arm and helmet face.

That being said, pretty awesome work. Every time I try to sculpt I generally wind up with a ball of green stuff and billions of empty boozebottles.

I always struggle with light sources, so I tend to just skip them. I may go back and do some light on him sooner or later, but for now I'm leaving him as is while I work on the rest of my Cyclopia Cabal.

I didn't actually have to do any sculpting on him though, all the flames on him are from the Burning Chariot of Tzeentch kit, I just snipped them off the fire from the Exalted Flamer, glued them on and patched up the contact areas with liquid greenstuff, wiping/cutting away the excess. I actually can't sculpt to save my life.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: May 06, 2016, 04:40:03 pm »

Makes sense.
Most of the time for me, lighting is just an extra coat of nuln in the places where fire doesn't see, and a casual drybrushing in places it does. Manages to keep the original colors around, too.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: May 06, 2016, 06:53:14 pm »

They should branch out to horror games, with the protagonist as a psyker of some sort.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: May 06, 2016, 06:54:35 pm »

Lots of 40k video games coming out. I knew it was popular, but not this popular.
GW's haemorrhaging money and they're getting desperate, so they're licensing the franchise to anyone who'll take it so long as they're competent (previously they stopped at "anyone who'll take it" but they learned better).
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: May 06, 2016, 06:55:41 pm »

Lots of 40k video games coming out. I knew it was popular, but not this popular.

It's not.  Most people playing DoW are probably only vaguely aware of 40k as a property, if at all.
Shoes...

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: May 06, 2016, 06:58:51 pm »

I first became aware of 40k because of DoW 2. It took me a year to discover it was a miniwargame. :P
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: May 06, 2016, 07:08:35 pm »

They should branch out to horror games, with the protagonist as a psyker of some sort.
Well, I think you're a librarian in the new Space Hulk FPS that's going to be coming out.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: May 07, 2016, 01:22:45 am »

Yep.

It's still a fps though.
IIRC Fire Warrior was the only other 40k FPS?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: May 07, 2016, 02:10:25 am »

Yep. Loads of 'em! I hear it has to do with the new CEO.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: May 07, 2016, 05:40:24 am »

Yep.

It's still a fps though.
Fire warrior was also notable for being mediocre and featuring a Khorne-corrupted Tau as the protagonist (hell, the cover is the protagonist atop a pile of skulls).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: May 07, 2016, 05:42:59 am »

Yep.

It's still a fps though.
Fire warrior was also notable for being mediocre and featuring a Khorne-corrupted Tau as the protagonist (hell, the cover is the protagonist atop a pile of skulls).
I like how that guy got corrupted by Khorne. It's actually kinda cool.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:46:24 am by Andres »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: May 07, 2016, 06:39:13 am »

Yep.

It's still a fps though.
I like how that guy got corrupted by Khorne. It's actually kinda cool.

I will state, however, the influence of Khorne is only in the book; in the game itself there's nothing at all like that. You're just a Tau version of Rambo.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: May 07, 2016, 07:44:16 am »

That's a very loose definition of mediocre you got there Teneb :P

But FW was a shitty halo wannabe that took 40k lore and went to town with it. And by went to town I mean bent it over a barrel and did all kinds of unspeakable things to it, stuff even Slaaneesh would find iffy.

In regards to finding about the 40k universe, it's kinda funny, looking back at things now. I remember reading about the first DoW ages ago in a magazine, being completely smitten by the awesome artwork (which featured necrons of all things, from their codex I think) and absolutely awed by the game itself when it came out. I then spent a couple of years toroughly reading up on everything 40k and wishing I had the means to get some of the minis. Eventually I got onto the RelicNews forums when news of the second game began circulating, and trough those forums, after several years I discovered DF and this place with it.

In short, I found this place trough 40k, which is one of the reasons it'll always have a special place reserved for itself.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: May 07, 2016, 08:08:07 am »

For all you tabletop guys, where is the 7th Ed Chaos codex? All I can find is the Khorne Daemonkin. Where is my Slaanesh? Are other Chaos codices gonna be released soon?
Dying of laughter?
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 824