Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965554 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: WHAOK thread: No Such Thing As A Free Bolter, But Heresy's Everywhere!
« Reply #9360 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:23 am »

Yes, the Q'Qrl Swarmhood is in the Segmentum Pacificus, and is particularly threatening because they have spread a long way without the use of warp drives. Imperial xenologists believe that they may be mentally incapable of discovering the equations that warp drives rely upon. That's the good news.

The bad news is that Q'Qrl aren't just bugs, they're nationalist bugs. They universally are fanatic supporters of their own expansionist ideology, the "Supremacy of the Swarm". And for that reason they are trying very, very hard to get their hands on an Imperial warp drive. The Imperium fears this because their mindset means they may simply outcompete the comparatively inefficient human species, and right now are only being held back by light speed.

Oh, and they can implant their larvae in humans Illithid-style to mind control them. No pressure.

The Jokaero are most interested for their exploration of modern theories of consciousness and intelligence: they do not require human styles of personhood, and so they don't develop them, instead having "pure intelligence".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: September 29, 2017, 11:14:23 am »

As for less mentioned xenos species, there's also the Yu'Vath, which are like precursor Warp Magicians/Scientists, and are about as fucked as you'd imagine a race like that would be. There's also the Stryxis, who are intergalactic traders specializing in the slave trade, genetic tinkering and growing slaves for work and/or sale. They hate the Eldar intensely for something that happened in the way back when that I've never found an explanation for but have some theories.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: September 29, 2017, 01:35:35 pm »

Eldar's dickery is usually the right answer to such questions.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: September 30, 2017, 05:09:53 am »

Space Nazi Wasp Locusts.

Now I see why the empire is so fond of burning things
Love, scriver~

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9364 on: September 30, 2017, 07:08:10 am »

I mean, it is pretty established that Imperium (at least post Great-Crusade) is only hostile to xenos because xenos have been, and still are incredibly hostile to them, and tend to leave the non-hostile ones relatively untouched, at least as long as they don't step on their toes. Sure, they hate them and would probably purge most of them given a chance, but they have much bigger problems to deal with, and sometimes the xenos actually tend to be useful, they are willing to slide their extermination off even further, for example Jokaero, although that's more the case of Jokaero being more advanced than Eldar, Imperium of Man, Tau, and whole fucking Galaxy, and they will fuck you up if you try to attack them.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: October 04, 2017, 03:32:07 pm »

Managed to pull myself out of my long lasting brain fog enough to paint some hormagaunts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully I'll get more mojo for conversions and painting soon. Got too many unfinished projects that need some actual effort sitting around looking at me accusingly.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: October 04, 2017, 04:23:48 pm »

Guard codex release.
This man happy.

Guard codex apparently overly powerful.
This man slightly less so now.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: October 04, 2017, 04:56:39 pm »

I think the issue is GW have always been pretty bad at assigning points to light/medium infantry and high shot guns, the guard specific stuff like orders and commissars then makes things worse. Even basic conscripts tend to perform about as well as Ork Boyz now, and then they force multiply better even after the mild nerf they got and cost a lot less points.

A leman russ, ogryn or rough rider themed force seems to be the most balanced theme from what I've seen, even with the russ getting a buff it still seems fairer than some of the artillery.

Mechanized Ogryn might be a fun thing to try, like a guard version of hammernators in a land raider. Several tonnes of stinking space ogres lumbering out of APCs as steel groans under the weight of the armoured behemoths, who pause momentarily before hefting shields and lumbering into the fray to crush bones as gunfire ricochets off their ceramite plated hides.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: October 04, 2017, 04:59:15 pm »

By the way, OUTFLANKING BANEBLADES SNEAKILY INFILTRATING  RETURNED.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9369 on: October 04, 2017, 05:36:35 pm »

Guard codex release.
This man happy.

Guard codex apparently overly powerful.
This man slightly less so now.
I am even more happy due to your lacking happiness.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: October 04, 2017, 06:03:19 pm »

This makes me happy even though I have no plans to play the tabletop.  Memes!

That got me thinking, though.  They have so many fans which "only" play the video games.  I wonder how much thought they've put towards a digital version of the actual tabletop game.  There are obvious problems from a business standpoint, but Magic had similar problems and seemed to do okay.

Or has anyone successfully simulated a game in Roll20 or such?  From what I've watched, it ought to be possible.  A cheap imitation of the full experience of course, no painting or clatter of dice, I'm just wondering.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: October 04, 2017, 06:16:31 pm »

This makes me happy even though I have no plans to play the tabletop.  Memes!

That got me thinking, though.  They have so many fans which "only" play the video games.  I wonder how much thought they've put towards a digital version of the actual tabletop game.  There are obvious problems from a business standpoint, but Magic had similar problems and seemed to do okay.

Or has anyone successfully simulated a game in Roll20 or such?  From what I've watched, it ought to be possible.  A cheap imitation of the full experience of course, no painting or clatter of dice, I'm just wondering.

The Vassal system has something for that, but its totally botless and I've never actually tried playing a game before.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: October 04, 2017, 06:50:06 pm »

Ooooh, boy.  I wasn't even thinking about bots.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: October 04, 2017, 07:57:40 pm »

I think there's appropriate workshop things for Tabletop Simulator, but have never tried to do so due to lacking Tabletop Simulator :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: October 04, 2017, 08:26:09 pm »

I think there's appropriate workshop things for Tabletop Simulator, but have never tried to do so due to lacking Tabletop Simulator :P
Done it before, a few things are lacking but can be replaced such as a khorn beserker on a jug replaced with a slightly oversized khorne biker captain. Played it with my friends all the time until I broke out the all tank and valkerie list as a joke for april fools...they didn't take it kindly.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 824