Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965537 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9645 on: November 02, 2017, 11:54:26 am »

typhus is literally halfmade of insects and Mortarion is demon, they are more far away from humanity then your average mutated feral beastman.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: November 02, 2017, 01:36:07 pm »

My whole Only War play through is a That Guy story.

1.) As the Chimera driver got my stealth up so high that I could easily commit Skyrim levels of burglary against chaos space marines. Literally chilled in the same room as a Red Corsair Captain and listened to his diabolical plan to destroy the planet--and then stole his helmet. Much to the chagrin of our GM.

2.) Committed a drive-by on a Chaos Sorcerer by driving along a ridge and having our Ratling sniper literally shoot him through the heart while he was delivering a speech to his army of chaos-spawn. Much to the chagrin of our GM.

3.) Snuck into a chaos encampment and rolled some holy promethium tanks into a barracks where captured guardsmen and willing chaos guardsmen were being augmented with chaotic runes carved into their skins. Technically the kill count was 3000+ for this mission. Much to the chagrin of our GM.

4.) Shooting an Ork Warboss' tank-track leg which made him faceplant and allowed us to escape unharmed. Much to the chagrin of our GM.

5.) Brutally massacring a squad of lone chaos guardsmen and capturing the sergeant and torturing him in the back of our Chimera and then releasing him and then getting cold feet about releasing him. We ended up running him over. Much to the chagrin of our GM.

6.) Annoying the Commissar to the point where he had special targets with my character's face on them for target practice. Much to the chagrin of our GM.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: November 02, 2017, 01:42:11 pm »

Those sound “Old man Henderson”, not ‘That Guy’.
But now i’m curious about where the line is.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: November 02, 2017, 01:55:32 pm »

Most ’much to the chagrin of the GM’-type stories seem to forget that the GM is the one allowing these things to happen. Granted, it stings when your carefully-laid plans get derailed, but there’s always a GM helping things along too when it comes to funny/outrageous outcomes.

I mean, I can imagine things that happen despite the GM’s wishes, but the way people tell these stories always sounds like the GM is just some kind of observer unable to control anything on the table. Your group sounds fun (and also Fun) to GM for.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: November 02, 2017, 02:03:12 pm »

The purpose of the player is to have fun, sometimes at the GM's expense. The purpose of the GM is to have fun, sometimes at the player's expense. The best policy for both is to learn how to have fun at your own expense.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: November 02, 2017, 02:10:07 pm »

The purpose of the player is to have fun, sometimes at the GM's expense. The purpose of the GM is to have fun, sometimes at the player's expense. The best policy for both is to learn how to have fun at your own expense.

Haha, the game was quite fun for all parties involved... never did get my baneblade though.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: November 02, 2017, 02:48:17 pm »

Actually, I completely disagree.

Nurgle, more so than any other Chaos Gods, treats his followers as his children. While 1d4chan may have been a bit overzealous with the whole "Nurgle loves everyone! What a great guy!" thing, he still is the most jovial of the chaos gods. I mean, just look at Nurglings. Those things are essentially just really tiny Nurgles, and they're having the time of their life (or whatever it is Daemons live). Unlike other Chaos gods, Nurgle didnt actually do that much to actively screw over his servants. I mean, look at Tzeentch's Daemons and Cultists. They're literally in a 24/7 information war. Hell, Kairos even tried to overthrow/outpower Tzeentch that one time. Nurgle very much emphasizes stagnancy, and simply enjoying the cycle of life. It doesnt make sense for his servants to try to overthrow each other, since that would be changing, which is Tzeentch's shtick.

There is a deliberate contrast between Nurgle and his minions. Great Unclean Ones, Beasts of Nurgle and Nurglings are the most like Nurgle in aspect. They're friendly, often slow to anger, good humoured and benevolent in a destructive way. They're a father, a pet dog and a small child respectively. Plague flies usually get put among these guys in that they're cheerful and generally mean well.

Plaguebearers, Heralds, Plague Marines and non-Plague Chaos Marines of Nurgle tend to be dour, miserable dickheads for the most part. Relatively loyal to the existing heirarchy but still willing to tip the applecart if it puts them higher on the totem pole. They are patient and enduring however and put up with things like Nurglings (Plaguebearer's hate the things.)

Plague Drones are angry and hate everything for not being friendly (and surviving them being friendly) when they were Beasts of Nurgle.

Cultists of Nurgle tend to be miserable. They have lives of eternal minor sickness and the only real reward is the satisfaction of scratching itches and popping boils.

As Tack mentioned above Mortarion and Typhus are currently squabbling over the Death Guard. Mortarion is defined by hating everything and resenting Nurgle, Typhus likes Nurgle and hates Mortarion, their underlings mostly want to backstab them to become the leader of their own warbands, and that's just within the Death Guard who have a broadly similar view of Nurgle's core doctrine. Other Nurgle warbands have vastly different ideologies based on the nature of their turn to Nurgle, their methods of waging war and the plagues they're infected with.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: November 02, 2017, 03:47:17 pm »

Don't know if it counts as a That Guy sory but here goes:

I was Gming this Rogue Trader game. 2 of the 4 players never played an RPG before. None of them had anything but a vague idea what Warhammer40k was.

Entrance right: The Tech-Heretic, The Techno-Babarian, The xenophile Psyker without any combat abilities (or spells) and a Gun-toting cutthroat mercenary.

Mission 1: get a ship from a space hulk. It was my first game as a GM of Rogue Trader too so i had not really any idea of balancing things out. Nonetheless i had prepared several ships of various sizes and classes.

In the End the players went for the easiest without their knowing. Much to my chargrin. It was if i remember correctl an Overlord class Battlecruiser. And so i sent them careening throughout the ship. immediately they went for the psyker quarters in which i had prepared a mad astropathic choir for them. It lived the entirety of two combat rounds.

Next i sent them into the various Officers Quarters. Looting someone rolled a natural 100. i let him roll again. nat 100. again. nat 100. They, found an artifact power armor. Not any power armor for three 100s need to be worth something, so i gave them the power armor of Macharius himself. They didn't know that. The ship was chaos booby trapped and generally trapped and because they were long term friends of mine, they knew i was a bloody sadist. So they refused to touch the armor. Something that good had to be a trap. They sent the psyker lady to check it over. She didn't find anything. This obviously has to be a trap. Clearly this armor was a trap. At that point ( i had given them a bunch of mercenary guardsmen as disposable meatshields in case things went too hard in the beginning) they gave the armor to the eager guardsmen. And off they went. Various explosive traps didnt work, and a bunch of genestealers did only barely manage to scratch these bloody bastards.

Yet i was still in good spirits. I had prepared a full blown navigator level 10 character in his navigator tower for them. they entered his chambers...and promptly used a grenade launcher to scare him out of his tower...the man could do nothing but climb down, issuing forth an enfilade of laser, bolter and flamer fire, ending him before he had even reached the ground.
Thus died my boss for the session.

Next Session. i gave them the option to track back and look in parts of the ship they didnt have gone to yet, among them the medbay, the cargobay, the mess hall and the laboratories. They decided to go to the bridge. The entire thing was one giant booby trap, rigged to go off once somebody plodded down into the chair.
Entracne the Heretek. Several crits and endless successes later, the ship was doing their entire bidding. Upon which they purged the mess hall and cargobay filled with enemies with fire and vacuum. Literally every single enemy in what was supposed to last throughout the campaign (basically the idea was to send them off to kill more stuff and clear more space on the ship when they were travelling through the warp). Nope, those kids purged everything and everyone in promethium. Yet i had one last card to play. The Captain. He had one of the Halo Artifacts, one of those things that turn you into a space vampire. And he had it at stage three. The resulting enemy was supposed to give problems to a mid-to-high-level crew if i understood the rulebooks correctly.
They purged him with promethium. He healed. They purged him with vacuum. He endured.
Now the thing was i had him in that laboratorium with lots of fancy stuff artifact gear and what not. The idea was that he was in this hermetically sealed laboratorium and the crew would be able to havve hannibal lecter style moments until they found themselves to be ready to deal with him.
What i did not expect was that my little Heretek Xenophile Posse would sweet-talk him into being their patron.

And so it was that my Rogue Trader campaign began its descent into madness.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:45 pm »

Absolutely amazing, I wonder what exactly happened after that though...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: November 06, 2017, 04:01:39 pm »

After that? Well where to begin?

They took the damn Battlecruiser and went off to the nearest space station. A bunch of bolted together Mass Haulers (i don't know the exact names of the class any more, but it was those huge ass big trading ships), which in theory were warp travel capable.

This little Smuggler Haven dubbed the Haven Lost was supposed to serve as a safe spot for the party where they can sell stuff, rearm, refit and occasionally get missions until they get something more permanent.

However on the way to said space station trouble appeared. They had no Navigator. They were stuck in space. And in fact a part of them were sent by the Inquisition to recover the ships for THEM. And so after another act of supremely astonishing persuasion, they cajoled Lord Captain Space Vampire into giving them Warp Charts, which via some in game mechanical magics allows non-psykers to travel through the warp blindly at a horrible danger.

Suffice to say they did so well that they spent an entire year in warp. For something which was basically two systems away. In the resulting chaos thanks to warp manifestations, melting walls and what have you, a fully blown Herald of Nurgle made himself comfortable in the mess hall.

Since they did so horrendously well against any and all enemies so far i had gone full throttle. Entrance right, Mister Talkalot. And in awe and wonder and mountains of chargrin i watched as he aced night on impossible fellowship rolls, and made a pact with said Herald of Nurgle. To let him travel aboard the Ship to the Haven Lost.
And so 30 Corruption Points, 10 Insanity Points and a Mark of Nurgle later, The Haven Lost finds itself with a Herald of Nurgle on the lose. Something that doesn't faze my crew at all. Two go off shopping for a smaller more usable ship including a psyker. While Mister Talkalot goes off to go a-trading for fancy stuff. With him are two of the four guardsmen, both of them happily dragging the Macharian Power Armor with them. Watching them do the exchange he saw two ecstatic ex-guardsmen walk off with 3 million in throne gelt. Of course Greed overcomes Mister Talkalot and so he decides to talk them out of their cash. And for the first time in the game he fails. Horribly. The guardsmen refuse. A close-quarters fight begins which Talkalot cannot win since he is a gunnery guy and one of the guardsman is almost ogryn sized. One Fate-Point and magic resurrection by the local Crime Boss (named the Shrouded Lady) later, they find themselves back on a vastly smaller ship, back on track to grab another ship from the space-hulk (ignoring the mission they owe to the Shrouded Lady).

This time they grab themselves a smaller Grand Cruiser which they basically want to repair with the money taken from selling their Battlecruiser. However there is one little problem, the damn thing is filled with Gretchins. More specifically a Gretchin Rebellion! Entrance left Mr.Talkalot. What began as an attempt at having them fight their way through the ship with the help of a conveniently incoming squad of Space Marines from the forgotten eleventh legion (i thought to introduce them as an independent empire having long since abandoned worship of the emps and one of the major plotpoints in this campaign, basically towards the end they should lead that independent star empire against the Empire of Man but that was something in the far future in case i ever ran out of stuff to do with them). What happened instead was Mr.Talkalot. He turned the Gretchin Rebellion upon itself and through deft political manouvering made a puppet the General Secretary. A puppet loyal to him (for saving him from being eaten by a squig). One session later we see a Grand Cruiser emerging from Warp, having spaced the Space Marines without ever talking to them mid-warp, settling a (somehow -> Silver Tongued bastard) thankful Gretching Rebellion on a random backwater shithole and flying back to the Haven Lost.

The Haven Lost meanwhile unsuprisingly had succumbed to Nurgles Rot and the Smugglers Haven was dissolving into chaos. Quite literally. A perfect time to go shopping.
Several Fellowship and dozens of Toughness tests later they ship repair guy is cajoled into doing this last job just to get a berth on their ship.

To be continued...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: November 06, 2017, 04:23:52 pm »

For first time players they seem to have run right into the swing of things handily enough.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: November 06, 2017, 05:47:00 pm »

I have been wanting to run another RPG in the 40k universe that's a dungeon crawl through a space hulk. Sadly, I have too many irons in the fire to start yet another 40k campaign. Need to finish the Rogue Trader one I started, some day.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: November 10, 2017, 12:00:52 am »

Functionally speaking, what is the difference between the tau's pulse, plasma, and ion weapons? What do they do that makes them different to each other?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: November 10, 2017, 12:12:05 am »

Functionally speaking, what is the difference between the tau's pulse, plasma, and ion weapons? What do they do that makes them different to each other?

Pulse weapons load a solid shell and inductively plasmize it in the barrel. Plasma weapons load gas like Imperial ones do. Ion cannons apparently syphon off ions from their internal plasma (which is presumably less dense and hotter than in either other weapons system) in a continuous beam rather than ejecting the entire mass as a discrete bolt, kind of like a particle accelerator.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:14:04 am by Trekkin »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: November 10, 2017, 12:36:03 am »

Thanks, but those are technical differences, not functional differences. I'm asking about how much damage they do, what they're used for, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:37:44 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 824