Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1562743 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Chainsaw hat
« Reply #4650 on: January 18, 2016, 09:29:55 pm »

http://press.web.cern.ch/backgrounders/safety-lhc

CERN press office said if they made black holes they'd totes disappear straight away and not destroy planet Earth
I haven't found any release from CERN saying they did actually create mini black holes in the end, so either they never noticed when they formed or we're already dead

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: January 18, 2016, 09:42:01 pm »

CERN press office said if they made black holes they'd totes disappear straight away and not destroy planet Earth
I haven't found any release from CERN saying they did actually create mini black holes in the end, so either they never noticed when they formed or we're already dead
A black hole would swiss cheese the area around it with more force than a squad automatic weapon sustaining fire on a plywood sheet for 10 seconds, and then expand. The bending effect around it would cleave a line into the earth and the atmosphere, and as the hole expands, divide it within nanoseconds. We would notice if such a thing happened, which is why I'm so scared that people can just mess with such advanced machinery as the Large Hadron Collider.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4652 on: January 18, 2016, 09:50:23 pm »

You know China plans on building one twice the size with all of the world famous Chinese safety standards they haven't made

BLOWOUT SOON STALKER

Also a STALKER game set in post-hadron China would be radtacular

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: January 18, 2016, 09:51:23 pm »

A black hole would swiss cheese the area around it with more force than a squad automatic weapon sustaining fire on a plywood sheet for 10 seconds, and then expand. The bending effect around it would cleave a line into the earth and the atmosphere, and as the hole expands, divide it within nanoseconds. We would notice if such a thing happened, which is why I'm so scared that people can just mess with such advanced machinery as the Large Hadron Collider.
No.  The black hole would explode before that happened.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: January 18, 2016, 10:29:26 pm »

No, any black holes made wouldn't have any more mass than the energy put into it. That would be at most 7 TeV, or 7500 atomic mass units, about the same mass as 7500 hydrogen atoms. Such a black hole would only warp space about as much as 7500 hydrogen atoms would if they were all in about the same spot.

It would take one second for a black hole ten nonillion times the size to evaporate. The smaller it gets, the faster it evaporates. IIRC, that relationship's quadratic, too, so it would take something like 100 novemdecillionths of a second (10-62 seconds) for this thing to evaporate. That's 19 orders of magnitude below the planck time.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:36:11 pm by Putnam »

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: January 18, 2016, 10:37:23 pm »

No, any black holes made wouldn't have any more mass than the energy put into it. That would be at most 7 TeV, or 7500 atomic mass units, about the same mass as 7500 hydrogen atoms. Such a black hole would only warp space about as much as 7500 hydrogen atoms would if they were all in about the same spot.

It would take one second for a black hole ten nonillion times the size to evaporate. The smaller it gets, the faster it evaporates. IIRC, that relationship's quadratic, too, so it would take something like 100 novemdecillionths of a second (10-62 seconds) for this thing to evaporate. That's 19 orders of magnitude below the planck time.
Thank you, I actually have no idea what black holes do or what properties they have, so instead of asking for the answer, I gave a wrong one and waited for the real answer. That works too.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: January 18, 2016, 10:38:42 pm »

I wonder if there's actually been a study showing whether or not "give a wrong answer and you'll get the right answer better than if you asked a question" is true. It certainly seems true, but that's not proof.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: January 18, 2016, 10:40:44 pm »

I wonder if there's actually been a study showing whether or not "give a wrong answer and you'll get the right answer better than if you asked a question" is true. It certainly seems true, but that's not proof.
Mythbusters, we're looking at you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: January 18, 2016, 11:11:29 pm »

Or none ever formed
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: January 19, 2016, 03:41:21 am »

Mythbusters, we're looking at you.

There was some dumbass WoW comic that illustrated the effect quite well.

And yeah, it works, so long as at least one of the listeners isn't busy recovering their sides from orbit to write a rebuttle. You can't afford to sound too stupid.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: January 19, 2016, 07:05:49 am »

Sorry to butt in, but(t) its too early for this suspicious behind talk.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 879