Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1562620 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title
« Reply #13080 on: January 13, 2024, 03:33:47 pm »

...that was $47,000?

So I've been trying to do a bit of worldbuilding recently for a DnD campaign, and this has resulted in poking around with the idea of trying to make maps... So naturally I've sniffed around looking for hot tips and hints and examples.

It was through this search that I happened upon this curious creation someone had posted:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, you might just think "Alright, that's fine, it's some kid who started with mapmaking and was getting really into it and decided to post the WIP since they were just so excited about everything."

...yeah, that's not what's going on here.

Spoiler: Where it was found (click to show/hide)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title
« Reply #13081 on: January 13, 2024, 03:53:37 pm »

Frankly anyone who pays that much for that map deserves to be ripped off.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: January 13, 2024, 04:02:05 pm »

I recently used universe Sandbox's landscaping and terrain export functions to get a map for a world I was working on. The landscaping tools take some getting used to, but the payoff is a rectangular map that technically fits to a sphere (the poles are stretched as you'd expect of such a map.) you can load in-game and simulate. I did the same to map and simulate a planet with a ~600 year day/night cycle (the rotational period was an hour longer than the orbit period, which was similar to earth orbit.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13083 on: January 13, 2024, 04:19:08 pm »

...that was $47,000?

So I've been trying to do a bit of worldbuilding recently for a DnD campaign, and this has resulted in poking around with the idea of trying to make maps... So naturally I've sniffed around looking for hot tips and hints and examples.

It was through this search that I happened upon this curious creation someone had posted:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, you might just think "Alright, that's fine, it's some kid who started with mapmaking and was getting really into it and decided to post the WIP since they were just so excited about everything."

...yeah, that's not what's going on here.

Spoiler: Where it was found (click to show/hide)
What a glorious map. 10/10 would write epic odyssey from Pentorb to Ezog

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: January 14, 2024, 08:05:57 am »

You know you can generate worlds with DF? No hear me out, in custom maps you can feed it "maps", so what works well: open excel, make a table as large as your map, conditional formating to color code it... And just fill out altitude for example... You can just do one, or you do multiple grids such as temperature rainfall, cursed-/charmedness etc...

The custom world creator will then compile the how many layers you gave it into map... And you know DF is really good at doing river and geological stratas... And also you can inspire yourself from world history and reroll it at will.

Hell if you're willing to commit to the DF fauna and flora... You might even be able to get some use out of giving all your dnd players access to legends mode... a fully fleshed oit world allready, just the names are hard to remember.

Furthermore I allmost forgot: There some third party tool I think it was legendsviewer? That can take the df map data and render something more drawn and less square with it, even got different filters for the different grids mentioned above... and IIRC there was one mode that compiled all of it into a pretty beautiful and watchable map.

Went to check what I did in the day... I did employ a bit of trickery... Superimposed the biome map with the DF map... that was the one I liked a lot.

You could further improve on this my colours were poorly blended now that I look at it... Also using different tilesets... And then you trace the whole thing on paper and draw it in super nice'ish map style if you're able.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 09:01:54 am by dragdeler »
let

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: January 14, 2024, 02:46:41 pm »

I've done that before, using PerfectWorld and running it through DF. This time i explicitly wanted a world that had been mapped onto a sphere and retained the basic features I desired. Like, I've done part of this world on DF before but I wanted to map the rest of it, outside that region.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: January 14, 2024, 04:31:55 pm »

There's an abandoned(?) strategy game called "Songs of the Eons" that was intended to be an extremely detailed simulator, but seems to have never gotten past world generation. From what I can tell it's now an inactive but freely available project that people seem to use mainly for generating spherical geography, because it does seem to do a fairly excellent job of simulating plate tectonics, erosion, biomes, etc.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13087 on: January 14, 2024, 04:36:40 pm »

God DF remains gorgeous. Amazing map dragdeler

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: January 14, 2024, 04:50:07 pm »

God DF remains gorgeous. Amazing map dragdeler

Yep.You can say anything you want about DF. But the world generation is utterly gorgeous.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: January 15, 2024, 03:03:03 am »

Oh shit i remember SS13.

I always died early.

I imagine the ERP senses was all GirlinHat's senses. She had a pretty good nose for that sort of nonsense.

Pls explain further
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: January 15, 2024, 05:15:39 am »

Oh shit i remember SS13.

I always died early.

I imagine the ERP senses was all GirlinHat's senses. She had a pretty good nose for that sort of nonsense.

Pls explain further

And also, GirlinHat's a furry? Nothing wrong with it, but the page specifically calls for "furries from Bay12 Forums".
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: January 15, 2024, 06:11:51 am »

I feel like there are entire oceans of context that we missed on the drive out here.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: January 15, 2024, 06:18:50 am »

I feel like there are entire oceans of context that we missed on the drive out here.

I told you guys! We could've stopped at the last context station. Now we are out of context in the middle of nowhere!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13093 on: January 15, 2024, 06:38:23 am »

I told you guys! We could've stopped at the last context station. Now we are out of context in the middle of nowhere!
Just fill up the context tank with the context can

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: January 15, 2024, 06:54:00 am »

Just fill up the context tank with the context can

We used that up like, three days ago.

Seriously, whose idea was to go on this trip?! Where are we even going?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 879