Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358653 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1440 on: September 05, 2015, 06:55:37 am »

People like Vordrak live on drummed up outrage and yellow journalism. The more the developers ignore that sort of stuff, the happier I'd be.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1441 on: September 05, 2015, 07:38:40 am »

What is a vordrak?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 05, 2015, 07:40:12 am »

A guy who got salty and decided the game was a hoax and mostly just plugged his gamurgayt blog.

It is undeniably disappointing though.  I was all hyped up to try it out this weekend, now I find out I've got another week to wait.

And if patterns hold up, another week after that for another minor bug that probably shouldn't hold up a release.  And so on.  Forever.
Shoes...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 05, 2015, 07:42:36 am »

I've just kinda, for a while now, not actually paid any heed to release dates or promises of any kind. The game will come out at some point, probably. Hopefully within the year.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1444 on: September 05, 2015, 07:45:05 am »

I've just kinda, for a while now, not actually paid any heed to release dates or promises of any kind. The game will come out at some point, probably. Hopefully within the year.
Same here. I've been ignoring the game. I didn't back it on kickstarter, mostly because I didn't know about it. For now I plan to pick it up at release but otherwise I'm trying to keep it out of mind.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 05, 2015, 10:47:39 am »

I'm mostly worried that they are too perfectionistic. The current delay is caused by something that seems to be a minor issue which would mostly lead to funny anecdotes about centaurs in the sewers and is precisely the sort of thing to discover during Beta testing. Now it delays the mod tools for some days and makes me worried that they'll be busy with these sort of minor issues before the Beta is out.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 05, 2015, 11:05:37 am »

Yeah, I'm worried about that too.  There's a lot of things that really shouldn't hold something like this back.

I mean how many people actually have access to the mod tools?  There's 29 mod-tier backers plus me and maybe a couple more who snagged mod-tier afterward.

Of those, less than 10 are actually active.  Maybe five people are gonna see this problem before it's fixed if they release now.  In fact, I think I'm gonna bring it up.  I don't think it'll matter, releases aren't really something you can say "oh well I changed my mind, let's release tomorrow" about, but still.
Shoes...

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 05, 2015, 01:15:37 pm »

My reading of the development update implies that the modifier situation is a thing they are fixing for the beta and has no bearing on when the mod tools will be released. Am I missing something saying that the mod tools will be delayed?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 05, 2015, 01:24:46 pm »

having been following this for quite some time, it really feels like they've gotten away from the original idea and intent of the game, and now i've kinda written it off.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 05, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »

having been following this for quite some time, it really feels like they've gotten away from the original idea and intent of the game, and now i've kinda written it off.
That is like a poker player folding on anything other than 10 high or higher.
Fuck those guys.
ALL IN
It's better to play and lose, than never playing at all.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 05, 2015, 01:35:38 pm »

I've really cooled on this as well. There's just so much that gets talked about that I'm having trouble believing it will be a cohesive, entertaining whole in the end. I'll still follow it, but after release when others have gotten their hands on it first.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 05, 2015, 01:39:31 pm »

I don't think they've lost sight of the original idea, if anything I think the original idea has gotten even better.  But I am worried about feature creep.  Or perfection creep, as was mentioned.  Spending so much time tuning things up and adding new little things that don't really matter that we're never actually gonna get anywhere. 

The feature lock was months ago but I'm pretty sure I've seen quite a few new things come into the game.  Stuff like the trade goods system.  I'd like for them to stop that kind of thing and focus on getting the current features functional for beta.  They'll have all the time they need to flesh the game out once the core experience works.

I haven't cooled as much as I've seen so many delays that I can't see the end of them anymore.  I'm just like "wonder what'll happen between now and thursday to push it back again?"  I'm hyped for the game but I've still got a nagging fear that it's all a prank, that a game this cool can't exist.  It doesn't help that since the original post all the way back in August we haven't gotten our hands on a single concrete thing. 

Yep, I admitted it.  Ever since kickstarter I've had a nagging, irrational fear that the game isn't real.  Every video that came out I couldn't help but pore over, trying to see if anything felt like a mockup.  When the gameplay screenshots came out I looked at the map to see if anything was visibly changing.  The only thing that can convince my monkey-brain that it isn't some kind of prank is actual hard content.  And the continual delays on hard content have only made it worse.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:46:29 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 05, 2015, 01:43:39 pm »

I haven't given them any money yet, and such have no problem whatsoever with letting them take as long as they like.  :P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 05, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »

*shrug*

I've only backed two kickstarters, Darkest Dungeon and this. And I restrained myself to the preorder tier because I'd be damned if I paid more than twice as much just to play a beta a few months before the release.

Now I'm kinda worried that perhaps I should have waited for release and paid retail price. After all, I've read about several kickstarters going bust. And all these delays *are* kind of worrying.

I hope my concerns end up being unfounded. Still. I had not realized we were nearing the year mark. Hrmrmhh
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: September 05, 2015, 02:00:08 pm »

Another thing I've never admitted is sometimes I wish the kickstarter hadn't been so successful.  Did we need procedural gen and endless mode and all these other features they had to redesign the engine to prepare for?  If it'd been a modest success the game would probably already be out.

This is the only thing I've ever kickstarted.  I preordered a few games back when I was young and dumb and full of optimism, but this is the only game I'll ever kickstart.  This is also the last game I plan on spending my mental energy on before release.  Win or lose, this is the last time I let myself get hyped.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 210