Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 170789 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 18: The definition of Insanity.
« Reply #735 on: January 03, 2015, 01:15:48 pm »

Let's do the time warp skip again
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 03, 2015, 02:26:05 pm »

On the the next catastrophenight

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #737 on: January 03, 2015, 03:26:25 pm »

Examine the shaded building, survey its environs. Wander around in it for a bit, but stay away from deep, dark shadows.

Unless it's nighttime, of course. If it's nighttime, examine how the building affects light in its immediate area.

EDIT: If the place doesn't look overly dangerous, take some samples of the walls with my array of miscellaneous tools.

It's nighttime, but even at night the shade of the building seems a bit...too shady. There's no real abnormal cold associated with it, at least none that you can feel through the suit, but the light from your suit doesn't seem as bright here, and the suit's sensors are reading a drop in temperature near the ground. The sands seem to be several degrees colder then the air around them. You dig a bit into the sand it's even colder deeper in. Hmm. You scrape some stone from the structure and store it away, but it seems fairly mundane.

Do a quick search of the building for any artifacts or engravings or secret passages or anything. If nothing interesting is found, then hurry quickedly to catch up with the main group.
The cold is a bit odd; though the building itself, not much more then a stone slab held up by pillars, is rather uninteresting. Anything on it has been worn away by time. Though, maybe if you dug away some sand near the pillars you might find some better preserved areas, unaffected by the wind.

Tek stopped for a moment in wonder.  He had heard, just for a second, the voice of the being behind the comb whisper divine wisdom in his unworthy ear.  But the astonished tech-diver paused only a moment in rapture-- there was looting to be done!

Okay thanks pw, cut in from the top then.  Then, excavate using the method described in my previous post.  But hurry!!  Before the others come and steal the loot!!!
You brush away some sand and cut carefully into the roof, carving a sort of lopsided oval into the stone. The chuck of rock cracks and falls into the darkness below. Judging from the sound, it's not an insignificant distance. You shine your suit lights down into the void. About 15-20 feet down is a stone floor partially covered in sand, with the broken remains of the circular plug you just cut out scattered across it. You stick your head in and look around: The stone that makes up the building appears fairly normal; clearly cut and put in place, with what appear to be faded paintings and still sharp engravings scattered about in some areas. There are odd marks on the walls as well, small, seemingly carved trails which trace random patterns across the walls like bark beetle tunnels.

Help Tek with exploration, otherwise run to catch up with the group.
I believe you may be mistaking which group and which ruin you're currently residing in.

Let's do the time warp skip again
Time skip to third watch. Since this has happened a few times before, assume Sambo has decided to heat up the glass cylinder a fair bit before it all goes down. From about 30' away, on 60% laser power, medium/high dispersion if it helps any. Suit lights on the Eater cylinder while I'm doing it.

"I reckon we've got the damn thing licked this time for sure."

((For sure....... :p))
Aid in the third watch

((Sorry, real busy and Happy New Year!))
Take first watch.
Ie the "I would like to be asleep when everything goes bad" position. There's a sexual joke in there somewhere.

Time skip.
third shift time skip

On the the next catastrophenight

Alright. So the night goes fairly well, up until those really late hours just before sunrise, those 3-4 ams when the sky is a weird semi-luminous and exhaustion is working its way around into overly tired giddiness. Despite a redoubled effort to keep the glass prison hot, the Eater begins to awaken. This is happening with such regularity that it can't be coincidence; perhaps there's something other then heat that is awakening it?

The glass prison begins to glow red and then yellow, becoming molten and soft. The sand around it vibrates and glows cherry red, swirling into the air on wild thermal currents. The Eater pulls itself slowly out of the molten glass like a man tugging himself out of molasses, grasping hands clawing their way out and reaching blindly toward the star speckled night sky. The smell of burnt blood and meat mixes with the acrid stink of molten sand and burnt hair. The Eater is calling out even before it's head breaks the surface glass, its voice distorted and muffled in the molten fluid. When its head finally does break free, the sound is enough to overload the external microphones of anyone nearby; though that doesn't stop them from feeling the strange resonant tones thumping through the sand and palpably shaking their flesh. Everything within 30 feet of the Eater is immediately coated in flame and strange tongues of flame rise from the creature's body; the human form within the inferno barely visible as a black smudge in a white hot flame.

Nunzillor

« Reply #738 on: January 03, 2015, 04:08:13 pm »

Amazing.  Amazing!  Tek felt he had definitely hit the jackpot here: interesting cultural relics certainly deserving of closer examination as well as the possibility of more traditional "loot."

As for the drop... he had an idea for that.  Tek was beginning to like his MFM, purchased on a whim.  When used sensibly, there didn't seem to be much danger.  But was his plan sensible?  He wasn't sure of that, but he was sure that the results would speak for themselves either way.

Lastly, Tek briefly wondered how the main group was doing.  Eh, things were probably fine over there, he decided.

Push a good amount of sand into the opening.  Then, turn the mound to glass.  Then, begin creating a short staircase from the mound (complete with handrails, if possible) using a more delicate version of the slicing method used on the Eater mound.  Just do a little bit at a time, no need to overload the old brain.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:57:12 pm by Nunzillor »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #739 on: January 03, 2015, 04:25:44 pm »

Good thing I was sleeping exactly thirty-ONE feet from the Eater! If I'm on fire, bravely roll away away from the Eater until I'm doused, then hop up and try to stay as far out of his way as I can if he starts to move.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 03, 2015, 04:41:42 pm »

"Have found anomalous source of cold. Should investigate thoroughly before moving on, maybe made by some object. We must dig down."

Try digging down toward the source. Is the decrease in temperature sharp as I probe downward, or is it gradual?

Enlist aid of whatever confused teammates are available as I do this.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #741 on: January 03, 2015, 06:37:03 pm »

Wake up and look at the eater.

Erm... th-that c-can't be good...

Hurriedly back away and take notes.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 03, 2015, 07:37:06 pm »

If on fire attempt to put out said fire by rolling away from the eater. If not back up a bit on fire, back away from the eater and be prepared to jump out of the way if any balls of fire show up "I'm seriously beginning to doubt the efficiency of heat around this thing, it produces plenty of heat on it's own!"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:39:21 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 03, 2015, 09:20:50 pm »

Help Chief dig. Guess we're not getting caught up with the other groups.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 04, 2015, 04:17:44 am »

RUN AWAY FROM FIRETHULU
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 04, 2015, 09:51:42 am »

"Retreat!"
Retreat out of the immediate danger zone.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:15:54 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 04, 2015, 12:46:44 pm »

Back away. See what the Eater does, scan the night sky/horizon for what might be setting this thing off.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:03:28 am by Hapah »
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 04, 2015, 06:04:54 pm »

"Mother fucker! And I thought getting up for a piss in the night was tension relieving like. This cunt's got some dick disease or something. It burns....."

Back away from the Eater, lie down in the sand and roll around a bit if there's any flames or burny bits to be put out on my suit. Take aim at the Eater and fire on 80%, minimum dispersion (not beam) with my laser rifle. Aim at the general region of it's genitals. Keep my lights on it while firing.

"Take this, you diseased alien slut!"

((just because laser rifle fire has done nothing so far, it doesn't mean I shouldn't keep using it. If anything, it means I should. There is the slight possibility that it stores heat/laser energy until/during its' next hissy-fit, but whatever....))
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:28:49 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 04, 2015, 06:43:03 pm »

"Hey Steve! Everything's fucked up again. Can you send a couple of shuttles down near us? One for us, one for this Eater prick. The Eater's all in its' normal shit now, and we're miles from anywhere. Let's nab the cunt and get out of here. We'll just say we killed the fuck out of it. Seems to wake up a bit before dawn, so fuck the stories. Once it's asleep again, let's grab it and go. It flies, so the no-flying or the has-to-be-on-the-ground thing was bullshit. Grav manips work even when the cunt's hot, so just keep the fucking thing in place on the shuttle or in storage. Fuck's me what else we can do. Watch out for the little hot lights, cunts of things they are.

Drop a bomb in the pit if you want for our cover story. Fuck, drop two.

Watch out though! It's got a dick disease. Use a robo-shuttle for it so it doesn't spread that shit."

((ps, can someone confirm that grav manips work against the Eater in non-just-possessed-someone form? Like, just manip or amp it in the next turn or two? Because then we're done.))
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:08:40 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 04, 2015, 08:41:24 pm »

"Watch the surrounding area! It's calling for help! And Steve isn't coming for us you idiot! And besides, bad things happen if it flies, or moves too fast, and shit's pretty bad right now, so stop trying to dig us deeper!"

Turn the volume on my megaphone as high as it will go, and shout the "Follow" command to the Eater. If it starts to follow, ask Steve for direction to the next waypoint, and lead the eater on. If it doesn't follow, watch the surrounding area for movement, and charge an Exo bonus as I do so.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 89