Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 437828 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1275 on: August 16, 2015, 06:06:35 pm »

I'm trying my damnedest to get them to wall the thing into the hole it's crawled into but nobody will act on the instructions because they're all too busy jerking off.

This fort really does lust for death.  I have never seen a more unhappy, useless collection of wasted dwarven lives.

EDIT: Nevermind.  They couldn't be bothered.  It's loose in the fort.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:27:10 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 16, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »

DON'T LET MATE DIE.

Yeah... as soon as I gave the order to build floors to seal it in, you ran straight into the room where it was wrecking memorial slabs and tried to french kiss it.  You are EXTRA dead.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 16, 2015, 07:20:38 pm »

DON'T LET MATE DIE.

Yeah... as soon as I gave the order to build floors to seal it in, you ran straight into the room where it was wrecking memorial slabs and tried to french kiss it.  You are EXTRA dead.
So.

How does mass vampirisation work again.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 16, 2015, 07:28:10 pm »

1. build spikes at bottom of pit
2. fill pit with water
3. chuck vampire onto spikes
4. build well over vampire
5. cease booze production

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 16, 2015, 08:05:28 pm »

1. build spikes at bottom of pit
2. fill pit with water
3. chuck vampire onto spikes
4. build well over vampire
5. cease booze production
*takes note*

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 16, 2015, 08:17:36 pm »

There's no way this could end badly.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 16, 2015, 08:20:12 pm »

I got here just as everyone was running around like headless chickens.  No idea what the hell is going on.  We set out from the Town of Stroking months ago.  We were headed for Painturns, but apparently Obok "I Know How To Get Everywhere" got us completely lost.  On the 3d of Malachite, two days after the last of the food and booze were consumed, we smelled smoke.  After a brief deliberation, made briefer by the complete lack of food, booze and supplies, we headed for it hoping it wasn't goblins.  A fort!  I gave Obok the benefit of the doubt... right before we got close enough to see that here was a group of dwarves in the middle of something terribly important, viz. shitting their pants in fear.  I present, as Exhibit A, the fragmentary record of the last overseer:

"... so they told me they didn't know how it got in but it was in.  I was SO MAD.  I told them and told them to seal the caverns, but they didn't listen.  So I gave the order to head back upstairs and seal ourselves in the old fort.  Everyone grumbled, but I got them moving.  We might make it!  Then I told them they could go back down, but only if they were carrying blocks to seal the snail-thing in the memorial room where it was wrecking the tombs.  I felt bad for the dead, but I didn't feel bad enough to want to be one! 

All these dwarves ignored the "carrying blocks" part, and started trying to go about their daily lives!  I don't understand!  There's a horrible monster in the middle of the fort and people are talking about planting food in the basement?  And they say I'm stupid!  I've had about enough of this.  So I demanded we go back upstairs.  But then the"... and bloodstains.

First of all, what sort of bloody idiot is scribbling away while his fortmates are dying?  Seems I arrived just in time.  The conversation went something like this:

"Right," said I, "You lot, stop pissing about.  We've a fort to save.  Can anyone tell me how many stairs lead down?

*crickets*

"Anyone?

*shifty silence*

"Very good!  Well done!  Well planned.  Amazing any of you are left alive, considering what a complete collection of tossers you are.  I'm Longshanks, not related to the last dimwit, because I'm tall, see?  I'm also wearing the purple hat, which I happened to pick up off the floor from where young Lord Scribbler dropped it when his guts were torn out his arse.  Everyone stays upstairs except one; all things below the third deep are completely forbidden to be touched or even thought about, on pain of being snailed to death.  The only exception, only mind you, is the lucky bastard what is tasked with bringing me the body of Mate the Snail Kisser!  That would be you, Urist... off you go now, while I tag along behind ye."

Following yon fool, I quickly determined that there was only one roundabout path left open to the deep halls, and I revoked my order and got them to seal it up.  All in all 57 of us survived; seems that 38 met their end below in the main halls.  Considering the stories the survivors tell, seems to be par for the course here.  I also mandated a new military, and set them to training.  Not sure what sort of pantywaists they were here before, but they won't catch a fort with me in charge sleeping!  I also demanded that everyone spend some time outside so as to slow the process of all the stumbling and puking going on when their eyes touch the light o' day.

The rest of Galena and Malachite were spent building a new trade depot, opening new farms, digging larger food storage and building new craft workshops.  There was a brief alert when someone saw something moving in the woods, but it turned out to be a tribe of hedgehog people wandering through.  Nothing worrisome there.

I'm sure we've got something to trade, and I'm ready for the merchants to come.  We need cloth and thread, but more than that we need hope.  I'm going to send letters to some people I know and tell them to send as many victims dwarves in need of a better life as they can reach.  I can make this a better place.  I can, and I will.

- LONGSHANKS
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:14:19 am by Iamblichos »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 16, 2015, 08:40:12 pm »

I'm afraid to ask. I'm afraid I know the answer...

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 16, 2015, 08:48:28 pm »

Fear is a common reaction.

You must face your fear, and embrace it. And when your fear quite literally and physically rips you apart - (who the hell hugs a forgotten beast?) - you will be given a disgusted one-line obituary by the Overseer and your corpse will be promptly and summarily atom-smashed (and no one will memorialize you, ever).

And then someone else will steal your name, and the horrific cycle will repeat once more.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 16, 2015, 08:55:49 pm »

OOC: For the sake of the (morbidly) curious, here's all the named dwarves that survived:

Frankensteen
Drokles II
Mate 888th
Kronk
Pencil_Art
Sculleywr
PsychoAngel II
Psycho III

If your name is not on the list, you didn't make it.  So sad, deepest regrets, etc.  Your avatar was TOO STUPID to go upstairs and not try to harvest mushrooms, gather socks, groom the forgotten beast's toe hair, or something else equally ignorant.  Choose more wisely next time.

That was one of the most frustrating episodes of DF I think I have ever played.  In my own forts, I keep strict rules about number and configuration of stairs, access to caves, etc.  Here, though, all bets are off.  There were(!) at least five separate paths between the surface and the deepest halls and every point in between.  Finding and sealing entrance and egress to all of them was a fool's errand and we're very lucky indeed that this new FB is apparently dumber than Shortshanks.  In fact, at one point, he was hanging out in the memorial hall and I had forbidden the doors, the fields, the produce, and everything else in the deep farms but SO MANY DWARVES had nothing better to do than go try to get through the locked doors to grab a forbidden mushroom they lured it up into the main food stockpile.  I really did seriously consider letting the fort die at that point because, quite frankly,  it deserved to.  But I didn't.  If you turn the previous post into player logic, it shows what I did.  We're now up and running on the surface/Old Doomforests, and I'm about to start mining gold again to produce some shinies.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 16, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »

Oh non.
Oh no oh no oh no!

Please, grab the smartest or more creative doctor or clerk you can find, and turn him into TaupeIII, in charge of managing the mess of books left by the mad doctor.

Also, this place is such a fucking deadly maze filled with ghosts and random shit lying around, I think our mascot should be Pac-Man.

That's the name of the minotaur now.

Fear is a common reaction.

You must face your fear, and embrace it. And when your fear quite literally and physically rips you apart - (who the hell hugs a forgotten beast?) - you will be given a disgusted one-line obituary by the Overseer and your corpse will be promptly and summarily atom-smashed (and no one will memorialize you, ever).

And then someone else will steal your name, and the horrific cycle will repeat once more.
This is perfect. Someone archive this in the quotes. And give the man a cookie.

Well, I guess now we wait for Son of Supergoat.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:16:30 pm by Taupe »

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 16, 2015, 10:28:16 pm »

Can I be re-dwarfed as TechnoXan02, a metalcrafter? I may or may not have a secret gem that has half of my soul in it. Thankfully I found a, volunteer for a body...  8). Yeah I'll RP all that tomorrow. Gotta a lot of catching up to do after my vacation.  :D (I have, surprisingly, never died before. Huh. Weird.)
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 17, 2015, 05:54:36 am »

WELP good thing I didn't have a dwarf to get killed. Don't worry, I'll provide an explanation when I take my turn.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:56 am »

Just to confirm, if I'm reading the turn history correctly, I'm finishing out Mate's year now, and then have my year to follow, correct?

Don't want to overstay my welcome, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to get this fort back firmly on its feet before handing it off to the next death-obsessed lunatic kindly overseer.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 17, 2015, 08:08:28 am »

I think that we should change the thread name after the latest events. My suggestions are:

Doomforests: Longshanks and the snaily menace

or:

Doomforests: Slaves to Snustrok, God of Snails

Can I be re-dwarfed as TechnoXan02, a metalcrafter? I may or may not have a secret gem that has half of my soul in it. Thankfully I found a, volunteer for a body...

And then TechnoXan becomes a cybernetic mega-crundle.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 144