Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 446190 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #690 on: May 16, 2016, 04:29:54 pm »

This thread is very trival --My finding

Anyways PTW

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 17, 2016, 11:57:29 am »

Finding 1: current residents buildingdestroyers, e.g. Forgotten Beasts, can lie invisibly in ambush instead of destroying the home.

(and here I thought it wandered off the edge of the map...)

Finding 2: a fleshy FB with non-'deadly' spittle can be very much less deadly than kea pack who you accidentally gave tactical advantage.

Finding 3: Reclaim fort equipment sometimes needs to be moved before dwarves will start using it - merely mass claiming is not enough.

PS: I guess this makes taming resident dragons on reclaim even more difficult.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:26:04 pm by Fleeting Frames »

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
« Reply #692 on: May 17, 2016, 12:51:25 pm »

If you check a newborn baby dwarf as soon as they're born, the message about their age will read:

(S)he was born today, which makes her/him very young indeed.
don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 17, 2016, 01:54:25 pm »

Findings: Use grates to drain magma so no more waiting for that 1/7 magma to evaporate.

Findings: I can't place stockpile over grates, nor bridges.

Findings: Minecarts dump down into a tile, will have 1 minecart in the bottom, and the others seems to be stacked either 1z or 2z above the lowest single minecart.

The extra open space on z-2 seems to handle the issue to ensure all minecarts are filled with [833] magma.

Everything magma-safe.

z+0: 1x1 open space, garbage dump, minecart stockpile.
z-1: 1x1 retracting bridge linked to lever, screw pump into 1x1 bridge, door; grate over magma-source.
z-2: open space, door. magma-source.
z-3: grate, door; (lowest point)
z-4: hatch cover, linked to a lever, door or wall. (probably not needed)
z-5: magma portable drain: track stop, minecart.

So I dump minecarts, then pile up starting from grate level. 
Deactivate minecart stockpile.
I then forbid doors. 
Start pump. Every minecart is filled with magma.
Stop pump. Open hatch.
Un-forbid doors, and haul to minecart stockpile closer to surface.

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 18, 2016, 09:31:41 pm »

Well, I found out that some necromancers are cowards.
I just embarked, and after one season, a necromancer, along with his undead ward, and...a cougar woman (I have no idea why) invaded.  Well, he started rushing up to my fort, alone, and disturbed my poor, hard-working dorfs.  However, he was gripped with fear upon the sight of...I don't even know, and ran away.  I mean, I had no defenses at that point, only 2 axes, which were used for cutting trees.  Well, the undead human and the cougar woman are just standing around the fringes of my fort, doing nothing, and now I have a permanent siege warning, until I dispatch them, of course.  However, I like to believe that they found love together.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 18, 2016, 11:52:43 pm »

So, apparently on above-ground tiles the -6°C granted by cold weather overrules the normal 21°C granted by magma-filled steel minecarts (I have no iron) to rocks on same tile. I guess steel bridges will similarly not carry enough heat to melt tiles other than ones above magma....

Getting less FPS drain than an entire flowing river of magma from flat volcano would have been nice, though - especially given it occasionally freezes anyway. Hm, what next....carving map edge ice wall into fortifications and dumping a captured magma man into the hole?

Might kill the tasty fishies before they can escape through a grate, though :p so limited to vermin fish like now :/

For water generation, I guess a small minecart magma gun, or trench of 223 magma (might not work) would be simplest.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 19, 2016, 05:21:46 pm »

In worldgen, an item being lost in a location counts the same as it being stored there. Scholars at a library read random books stored or lost at their site. So in the incredibly rare occasion a necromancer is killed and loses their slab somewhere there is a library, your world will be flooded with necromancers.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 25, 2016, 04:52:43 pm »

It seems like a lot of the bards who visit taverns have combat skills (not sure whether this is specific to my world or if it's accurate in general). Two years of freeloading in the fort and you can put them in your military, allowing you to make and entire army of human/goblin/elf soldiers with a lone dwarf leader.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 01, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »

In worldgen, nations won't build within a tile of another nation.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 01, 2016, 05:00:02 pm »

I figured out how to avoid mist generator splashing 1/7 water that messes up smooth/engraved floors (z-4).

Mist generator via aquifer. 
z+0: d   - aquifer layer, down stairs pierce
z-1: x   - dirt layer, up/down stairs
z-2: ulbplg  - up stairs, flood gate, raising bridge, pressure plate, flood gate, grate drain below.
z-3: g - grate drains below, enjoys mists
z-4 g - grate drains d below, extra layer to hold excess water so z-3 do not get splashes of 1/7 water and muddy the smooth/engraved floors.
z-5 ^ - up ramp and to drain.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 02, 2016, 10:50:09 am »

Uh, how does that let water through, given that [OPEN] Floodgate passes water while [OPEN] bridge blocks it and vice-versa on [CLOSE], 1 step window between two by build order?

Drain = Portable hole? Can dwarves get flooded onto the up ramp?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 02, 2016, 11:29:39 am »

The repeater works fine, and releases 4/7 water each time water on pressure plate gets to 7/7 water. 

so it's like this:  ulbplg

u = upstairs that breaches the aquifer (dig last).
l = the first floodgate, linked to external lever to shut off water source. 
b = 1x1 raising bridge atom smasher, initially built as unraised and walkable (linked to pressure plate) 
p = pressure plate, set to water 7/7, linked to bridge, and 2nd floodgate.  There is a door access adjacent this pressure plate (forbid when in use)
l = the second flood gate, initially built as unpassable (linked to pressure plate).

Ok, so when the shutoff floodgate is opened, water fills over the bridge (not yet raised) , then fills the pressure plate tile, but is blocked by the 2nd floodgate. 
7/7 in pressure plate triggers the bridge, raising it and atom smashing 7/7 water; and opens 2nd flood gate spilling 7/7 water.
Some tick later, pressure plate triggers, closing the 2nd flood gate (smashing some water in the process) and bridge is lowered refilling.  Repeats. 

My theory that the Portable Drain (PD) below receiving pressurized water should be able to handle water falling it. 
But it does not, so I have to add the old drain to edge or drain to cavern solution. 

But my setup is 5z tall, so maybe each of those 5z from water repeater down to PD contains more water than a single PD can dispose off.

I'll have to experiment with a 4z tall.  Or maybe a separate longer delay repeater to toggle the 1st flood gate.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 02, 2016, 11:38:01 am »

Findings: I can't stun cage capture an "FB made of steam that flies and a webber" 

Setup: [Raising Bridge] [cage trap] [cave-in spot] [cage trap] [statue with 2 adjacent doors] ... [upstairs]

Above cave-in spot, [floor], and above this, natural floor held by support and linked to lever.

Above upstairs, [hatch] toggled to forbid.

FB got in, and stands on cage trap.  Bridge is raised so it's trapped while busy destroying statue and doors.

Hatch is set to forbid, and pull the lever to support.

Cave-in happens, dusts happens, FB is unaffected. Not stunned, Not even propelled away but dust. 

It can't be right, so I tried again. 

DFhacked obsidian wall on hole of cave-in floor, and 2 more tiles above that, so I am able to dig floor, and set support to lever again. 

Next chance, FB standing on 2nd cage trap, trying to kill the hatch from below. 

Another cave-in, dusts, etc, and FB is not affected.  Of well.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 02, 2016, 12:51:54 pm »

@Sanctume: Ah, I see - I assume both floodgates and bridge were all linked to plate.

I've previously toyed with mostly-vertical designs(to avoid 1/7 water evaporation problems) to release 7/7 water per various delay - for perhaps a long-term clock timer (a large, emptyable basin is easy to dig out).

Doing a design with bridge is quite a bit easier, but after testing it out I went "fuck nope I'm never using a bridge repeater" at the constant stuttering caused by bridge opening and closing.

With at least 4 pressure plates set to 7/7 and 3 floodgates + 1 hatch, it is possible to do design like
H
^
F
^
F
^
F
^

Alternatively, if willing to use minecart inverter for a bit of delay|randomness, a plate set to 0-6 water linked to floodgate and inverter working door can be more compact:
^F
D

Of course, you might prefer them to be more horizontal, to minimize falling water. Btw, single mist generator falling through every major room? I'm pleased at your efficiency. (I'd probably cram them all in a single room and have minecart mister underneath or something).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:53:46 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 02, 2016, 01:15:38 pm »

Since I have some humans and elves captive, I think I will use one for some sort of goblin repeater with a long path ~20 tiles.

I got to remember that they can now climb, but not sure about jumping over, so I will make sure I dig in stone layer and smooth naturally to make it climb proof.

Then possibly use this creature repeater to toggle my water source?

Heh, sounds !fun! can happen.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 148