Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441045 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW - Two and counting
« Reply #465 on: February 15, 2015, 02:04:38 am »

I want to like Starbound, but there isn't anything to do? I mean, there are maybe two of each planet type (Ice/rock and Ice/glow for the ice planets) and once you have seen them both they all look the same...

And there isn't anything to fight or collect besides clothing I will never use because I like my lab coat and gnome hat. My giant ship sits empty, with me being unable to find anything interesting to fill it.
And I can't complete the quests because it is basically just run around hoping for RNG to give me the right dungeons.

Also, weaponwise, I don't see any point of fast weapons, my "Destroy Everything" just 1-shots every enemy in the game. Some very powerful ones take two hits, but still.

Maybe I should play multiplayer? But I could just play better games...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 15, 2015, 02:22:59 am »

To be honest, I think one of the major flaws is that they're relying on the RNG waaay too much. The randomized creatures are cool, but I think they should supplement static creature types (Maybe a different set for each planet type) rather than replace them. Also, as noted, you basically have to wait for the RNG to like you before you can manage to find a certain dungeon. Maybe upon getting a quest, you could be pointed to the nearest solar system with the requisite dungeon/item? You'd still have to wander the different planets to find where exactly it is, but you'd have some vague idea.

Also, maybe they could add different 'sections' to each sector, with each section guaranteed to have certain types of features? It'd mean that finding something like a certain dungeon or planet type would be much more regular and far less random in terms of time taken for trying to find one.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 15, 2015, 02:47:14 am »

To be honest, I think one of the major flaws is that they're relying on the RNG waaay too much. The randomized creatures are cool, but I think they should supplement static creature types (Maybe a different set for each planet type) rather than replace them. Also, as noted, you basically have to wait for the RNG to like you before you can manage to find a certain dungeon. Maybe upon getting a quest, you could be pointed to the nearest solar system with the requisite dungeon/item? You'd still have to wander the different planets to find where exactly it is, but you'd have some vague idea.

Also, maybe they could add different 'sections' to each sector, with each section guaranteed to have certain types of features? It'd mean that finding something like a certain dungeon or planet type would be much more regular and far less random in terms of time taken for trying to find one.
That's actually a lot fairer than Terraria, where if you don't have a certain feature, or the feature you have doesn't have a certain item (pyramid hunting comes to mind), then you've got to generate a whole new world and go spelunking all over again. Starbound just takes that principle and adds exploration into mix, splitting the features up between different types of planet. What would be nice is some sort of consistent placing, like in Terraria. I.e. avian tombs most likely on ice planets (not always, and not on every planet, but if you want to find one that's where you should look), prisons most likely on dead planets, floran camps on jungle planets, etc. Of course some features can appear anywhere, like labs or pirate ships.

Furthermore, they actually need to use the randomizer MORE. Every planet is an even mix of creatures. One ground friendly type, one small ground hostile, two medium ground hostiles, one flying friendly, two flying hostiles, etc. Not enough variety, or perhaps rather not wide enough ranges for the variety.
Likewise, the planets. Grouped not only by star type, but also by difficulty class, and linked to biome type. That just makes no sense at all. The Prismatic Stars mod is a godsend in that regard, but the point is that most stars should be like that.

Maybe Starbound could benefit from a "galaxy" layout, like you have in SPAZ. Or rather an inverted galaxy. Closer to the center (startpoint) you have an assortment of stars in the low difficulty range, with an assortment of the easier-to-access biomes. Further out in any direction you start seeing weirder biomes and harder enemies.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 15, 2015, 03:19:37 am »

Yeah, I really agree that it quickly feels like once you've seen one planet of a given type (or two, or five, or ten, or...) you've seen them all. I feel like the game might benefit from more information about what's on a planet EG "civilization detected" or "Avian Temple Detected", based on upgrades or spent resources on a sensor item. It also feels like it needs a campaign that actually justifies the huge galaxy map, something like Star Control where different regions are populated by friendly or hostile aliens, or maybe if there were hints, puzzles and riddles that would lead you towards difficult dungeons with equipment/quest items. Or maybe something where you invade planets, and defend against invaders? I guess that's getting kind of far from the original vision. Maybe it just needs more handcrafted scenarios (currently there are four in the game, plus another half dozen or dozen worth of good dungeons). Maybe it needs PvP. But, it needs SOMETHING more.

Mind you, I'm not done with the game. I want to get my fully upgraded ship, see all the powers, gather my favorite decorations, and maybe build a cool structure or two on a server where people can see them, if they ever come on. Right now I'm just searching for the quest items I need to level up and... it feels exactly like killing monsters over and over for a rare drop in an MMO. I intend to catalog every quest item in my 3D printer if I can, just so I can help other people skip through the quests. Now where's that damnable golden ducky...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 15, 2015, 10:29:17 am »

Just about any Avian settlement is where.  :P

But yeah, the main thing it's lacking is endgame content. Terraria had 'gotta-collect-em-all' grind at the very end, which gave you something to do. It also had PVP which was easy to set up. It also had discrete world files, so people could make interesting challenge-worlds and you could try them out.

Starbound has very little endgame content to collect (as everything is ore-derived and easy to acquire), basically... I'm not even sure it it has PVP. So on and so forth.

What it really needs is reliable PVP (and a way to find other players easily), as well as a metagame of some sort, maybe involving wars between factions or, taking a leaf from SPAZ, a hostile third-party faction.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 15, 2015, 12:32:54 pm »

Yeah, I really agree that it quickly feels like once you've seen one planet of a given type (or two, or five, or ten, or...) you've seen them all. I feel like the game might benefit from more information about what's on a planet EG "civilization detected" or "Avian Temple Detected", based on upgrades or spent resources on a sensor item. It also feels like it needs a campaign that actually justifies the huge galaxy map, something like Star Control where different regions are populated by friendly or hostile aliens, or maybe if there were hints, puzzles and riddles that would lead you towards difficult dungeons with equipment/quest items. Or maybe something where you invade planets, and defend against invaders?
Territories and hostile systems ruled by one group could be really, really cool. Having enemies that span multiple planets or systems would encourage you to establish a perimeter around your home and protect it, which gives you a lot more reason to keep playing than "have more things, build bigger houses."

I mean, I doubt anything like this will ever happen but hey, it's a great idea.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #471 on: February 15, 2015, 12:45:21 pm »

At very least they need to have more flavors of each biome.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 15, 2015, 12:53:47 pm »

I feel like randomized armor sets would be a massive boost to the game. It's lame how all the high tiered armor that I've seen look like standard space marine affairs. Space marines are boring; if I wanted to be one I would go play Space Marine. It could work like the weapons, where the crafted tiers are a sure fire way to increase your stats, but the unique armor could potentially be a viable sidegrade or straight upgrade. That or the high end crafted armor just needs to be more unique. Terraria has space marine-y armor made out of mushrooms condensed into a solid bar. That's way more exciting than making it from unobtainium or whatever it is in Stabound.

Boy, that was a bit of a ramble, even after cutting out a lot of the redundant/ off topic crap that came out of my keyboard.

ninjaedit: biomes were the other topic that I was going to mention.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 15, 2015, 01:35:22 pm »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 16, 2015, 07:57:16 pm »

I just built a little forge in spawn town, it's in the hill to the left just follow the signs. Also if anyone needs any seeds I'll build a seed box for any unwanted seeds anyone has on them.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 17, 2015, 05:21:29 am »

Yeah, I really agree that it quickly feels like once you've seen one planet of a given type (or two, or five, or ten, or...) you've seen them all. I feel like the game might benefit from more information about what's on a planet EG "civilization detected" or "Avian Temple Detected",

Or describing what biomes exist that aren't surface biomes (such as sewage or eyeball biomes underground). Could be an upgrade somehow but would save a little time if you're looking for something specific.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:02 pm »

I'm starting to feel very tired of this game, and I've only put around 20 hours in since the latest update.  First struggling to get past the Erchius horror, then grinding out the still rather massive amounts of materials to upgrade everything, and now desperately searching dozens of systems looking for items for the stupid quests.  This is very non-fun, and I am badly regretting my invested time.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #477 on: February 17, 2015, 11:16:03 pm »

Anyone have problems when loading the new version of the 32 bit linux game?

Code: [Select]
Error: Could not instantiate item '[liquidcoffee, 1, {}]'. (MaterialException) Error loading material file /tiles/materials/alienstripedblock.material Caused by: (VariantException) No such key in Variant::get("category")
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 17, 2015, 11:54:47 pm »

I'm starting to feel very tired of this game, and I've only put around 20 hours in since the latest update.  First struggling to get past the Erchius horror, then grinding out the still rather massive amounts of materials to upgrade everything, and now desperately searching dozens of systems looking for items for the stupid quests.  This is very non-fun, and I am badly regretting my invested time.
If it's any consolation, I can meet you on the server sometime and give you tier 6 armor. :p
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 18, 2015, 10:06:51 am »

I have max tier gear, the problem is the ship quests, I can comfortably survive even the harshest planets, but after dozens of stars and hundreds of planets, looking for the random crap NPCs at the outpost ask for is getting very stale.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 130