Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441140 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #825 on: March 05, 2016, 03:47:37 am »

There was actually a roadmap at some point.

I'm not talking about that. I mean actual specific details like "There should be 7 vehicles from weaponless bicicyle of speed 5 (insert concept art here) to a hovertank with speed 1..." things like that.

The road map was pitifully generic stuff like "make a party UI or something."  And even that was too constricting so they threw it out.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 05, 2016, 09:58:02 am »

My biggest issue with Starbound is the lack of direction it has ultimately taken, and I attribute the bulk of the problem to this: the devs don't seem to have a concrete idea of what the game ought to be, and move back and forth on the whims of their players. They started off with an interesting but incomplete concept, but do not seem to have a clear, defined notion of what THEY want the experience to be, and so the whole project is as a chicken with its head cut off.

My biggest issue has been that a sizeable amount of the funds CF got from Starbound, which should have been used to hire some actual programmers, went instead into kickstarting Tiyuri's publishing company, so no matter how universally panned Starbound is, CF is going to stay in business which they have absolutely no business doing.  People can't seem to make such connections in their brains though, looking at how Star Dew Valley is doing.  I can understand wanting to support a developer, but when that developer makes such a bad decision as having Chucklefish publish for them, they really don't deserve the support.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 05, 2016, 11:30:46 am »

My biggest issue with Starbound is the lack of direction it has ultimately taken, and I attribute the bulk of the problem to this: the devs don't seem to have a concrete idea of what the game ought to be, and move back and forth on the whims of their players. They started off with an interesting but incomplete concept, but do not seem to have a clear, defined notion of what THEY want the experience to be, and so the whole project is as a chicken with its head cut off.

My biggest issue has been that a sizeable amount of the funds CF got from Starbound, which should have been used to hire some actual programmers, went instead into kickstarting Tiyuri's publishing company, so no matter how universally panned Starbound is, CF is going to stay in business which they have absolutely no business doing.  People can't seem to make such connections in their brains though, looking at how Star Dew Valley is doing.  I can understand wanting to support a developer, but when that developer makes such a bad decision as having Chucklefish publish for them, they really don't deserve the support.
Have you considered the inverse? That some of the money made by the publishing company could be funneled back into Starbound?

And sorry, but I don't see Starbound being universally panned, same way other gems such as Stardrive aren't. It does a few things well, it's at least non-terrible in other aspects, and it has at least some modding going on, no matter the terrible decisions by the designer. If you ignore the original hype (which I do - it is what it is, what do I care what the game promised?) there's little to actually complain about (like the crafting timers).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 05, 2016, 11:52:53 am »

Have you considered the inverse? That some of the money made by the publishing company could be funneled back into Starbound?

And sorry, but I don't see Starbound being universally panned, same way other gems such as Stardrive aren't. It does a few things well, it's at least non-terrible in other aspects, and it has at least some modding going on, no matter the terrible decisions by the designer. If you ignore the original hype (which I do - it is what it is, what do I care what the game promised?) there's little to actually complain about (like the crafting timers).

I could consider it until the cows come home, doesn't mean it is or will happen.  And even if they were to do so at some point(which they clearly have not), it doesn't negate the fact that the funds were misappropriated.  First they crowdfunded the project with stretch goals(why there are Novakids) with many goals they failed to implement.  Then they put up the game to Early Access, which is expressly a means for players to fund a game in it's early development.  Neither of those funding models listed the potential publishing arm of the company being where funds would end up.

As to the universally panned, I don't mean at the moment.  I mean when they finally slap the 1.0 on it and people can't deny it over-promised and under-delivered, because again, they misappropriated the funds.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 05, 2016, 12:30:54 pm »

Well, we don't actually know that (no, I don't buy that they can actually deliver either, but we don't know that they won't.)  So it really isn't reasonable to assert anything about the final product, they could pull their acts together and actually get it done.

(Disclaimer: I am not making a backhanded joke here, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that they might actually make the game.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 05, 2016, 04:51:54 pm »

Are you really so salty about Starbound that you're hating on an unrelated developer for taking a publishing deal from Chucklefish? That seems more than a little petty.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 05, 2016, 06:28:51 pm »

Are you really so salty about Starbound that you're hating on an unrelated developer for taking a publishing deal from Chucklefish? That seems more than a little petty.

Wow I thought I had read that wrong, but that really is petty to hate a developer because they signed up for them to publish their game.

Yeah Starbound is a bit poor but I would just consider it an average game rather then a bad one. Bit meh but overall playable enough to be enjoyable to some.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 05, 2016, 06:37:38 pm »

I enjoy Starbound. It's legitimately a fun game. It has its flaws, and could have been better, but it's a fun game. If it was managed a bit better, it could have been a better game, though.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 05, 2016, 06:41:31 pm »

Yes I am that petty.  I don't believe in supporting companies who make decisions I disagree with.  I also don't buy Bioware games anymore because they're published by EA, though I'm sure if I were to have a conversation about that, more people would be like "yeah, I understand" and the issue of being petty wouldn't come up.

That's how the world of business works though.  It's petty.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 06, 2016, 02:00:31 am »

Yes I am that petty.  I don't believe in supporting companies who make decisions I disagree with.
How you still have a Steam library is beyond me. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 06, 2016, 11:51:22 am »

Yes I am that petty.  I don't believe in supporting companies who make decisions I disagree with.

It's not a big library(like 110 games) and most were free or gifts :P

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 07, 2016, 11:17:41 am »

It's extremely hard to buy anything from any major industry if you'll shun companies for doing something you don't agree with. Practically every major enterprise has a dark side.

Do you sew your own clothes? Craft your own electronics?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 07, 2016, 04:54:43 pm »

I have stopped buying games from EA and Ubisoft and I'll never buy a game from Keen Software House or from the dev team of Starbound, and I'm not too fond of DoubleFine after SpaceBase DF-9 either..and that doesn't mean I live in a forest and made a PC out of wood.

I think what he said is pretty easy to understand, no need to extrapolate it. It's very unfortunate Stardew Vallley is published by Chucklefish, but I bought it because it was not made by them and I wanted the game. I do hope he drop that deal for his next titles, though, I like the guy.

I have a friend that insists that Starbound feels like it's going somewhere now. I simply cannot see it, but I guess I'll join some multiplayer game once 1.0 comes up.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 07, 2016, 07:01:51 pm »

If you intend to play any meaningful number of modern games on PC, you functionally need either Steam, a shittier version of Steam, or have to deal with the terrible DRM most titles carry when published and downloaded as standalone programs (and of course you still don't get a physical copy with unlimited installations). A digital publishing platform like Steam is basically the only way to circumvent individual companies putting absolutely heinous DRM on everything they publish (because, yeah, we're not going back to the old days, no matter how nice it might be), and of those platforms Steam is consistently the least terrible and run by the least evil company, even with shit like the paid mods attempt and the difficulty with using it in offline mode. At least it has an offline-play mode.

If you're not willing to bend at all on that, you're playing nothing but small-time indie games and a handful of major titles (mostly F2P MMORPG and MMO arena types). If you play multiplayer, you're likely relying on the dev or publisher's servers and anti-cheat measures--if they decide to stop supporting the game, no more MP for you, probably.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 07, 2016, 11:36:58 pm »

It's extremely hard to buy anything from any major industry if you'll shun companies for doing something you don't agree with. Practically every major enterprise has a dark side.

Do you sew your own clothes? Craft your own electronics?
Like chocolate? Eat corn? Drink the water in some places?

Obviously it would be exceedingly difficult (if not outright impossible) to abstain from supporting every single company one doesn't agree with, and it is true that practically every organization out there has some sort of dark side, no matter how big or small. However, if you are particularly soured by something a company has done or is doing, it makes little sense to continue supporting them if you can go without/have other options, simply because you can't stop supporting them all. Seems kind of defeatist, in my opinion.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 130