Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441038 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1005 on: July 23, 2016, 03:01:26 pm »

It didn't take long for the story to make no real sense though.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 23, 2016, 05:15:21 pm »

Out of curiosity, has anyone managed to run this on Linux? Last time I tried, it ran, but I wouldn't call it playable. I've always meant to give the game another chance once they settled on an actual implementation -- my hopes aren't high, since it sounds like solution to the procedural platforming problem is set piece dungeons... but, still, it's a sci-fi build 'em game.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 23, 2016, 06:57:49 pm »

NASA fertilizer isn't in yet though.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: July 23, 2016, 09:01:15 pm »

Huh. Just played 1.0 and it's actually improved a lot. While I'm still really annoyed (and will forever be annoyed) about the damage-on-touch monsters, they've improved a lot and it actually feels like they've improved the game this time.

EDIT: Question, did they implement that proper vehicle system? I saw a video on one of the blog posts showing an enterable vehicle that wasn't just an extension of the character and was its own entity. But I'm not sure if it made it into 1.0.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:08:50 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: July 23, 2016, 09:25:11 pm »

EDIT: Question, did they implement that proper vehicle system? I saw a video on one of the blog posts showing an enterable vehicle that wasn't just an extension of the character and was its own entity. But I'm not sure if it made it into 1.0.
I thought i saw a workshop mod about vehicles...
But yeah this is actually pretty neat, especially the intro.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 24, 2016, 03:58:28 am »

I still have problems with the 'floaty' nature of movement. Died probably a dozen times trying to navigate a short fall without overshooting into the pit below. Also, I overshoot way to often trying to make a jump to a place where there is no wall to "catch" me from overshooting. Not sure if that's because I just need to learn the game, being more used to tighter controls that you'd find in other platformers, or if the controls just kind of suck for some reason. It could also help to have a "cautious movement" toggle, like shift in Minecraft, though I recognize most platformers don't have this.

I understand why food doesn't stack, given that it can rot, but it does make food-item management annoying. Even moreso because rotted food stays in the food tab until you click it to pick it up, at which point it switches your inventory to the general/weapon tab. Irritating when you have multiple rotted food to trash or throw away, having to click back to the food tab every time. (Is there a key or modifier [shift, ctrl, etc] to throw away an item under your cursor without having to pick it up? I think Minecraft has this, but it may instead come from popular inventory mods.)

I notice that irrigated tilled farmland 'dries out' periodically, does it need to remain irrigated for crops to grow? Grow faster? Can it be prevented with nearby water? (I don't have a method of moving liquids yet, just the wooden watering can.)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 24, 2016, 04:04:32 am »

Re: movement.

Lots of people have reported floaty movement since the first release of the game, and the problem has either never been tracked down or simply didn't matter to the devs.  My observations make me think that it has to do with the internal (or external) server not synching up with the client, ergo, positional lag.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: July 24, 2016, 04:21:18 am »

Get the spiky ball tech to travel along walls. Best upgrade chips I've ever spent, 11/10.

Re: irrigation, yes you do need to keep watering the plants... OR you can just make an open-air farm on a rainy jungle world and forget about it. Later there's sprinkler systems to take care of it for you automatically.

There's also a mod on the workshop right now that stacks food and gives the stack a collective displayed rot timer.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 24, 2016, 04:35:46 am »

Re: movement.

Lots of people have reported floaty movement since the first release of the game, and the problem has either never been tracked down or simply didn't matter to the devs.  My observations make me think that it has to do with the internal (or external) server not synching up with the client, ergo, positional lag.

I'd thought the movement was due to some momentum when you land. Though, it does also feel like you're sliding off the rounded edges of a block, rather than the block being a straight square.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: July 24, 2016, 04:56:33 am »

Yeah, the 'floaty' movement feels deliberate, a result of momentum and how they configured that moreso than a bug. (On a related note, a 'cautious movement' toggle would also be nice not only to prevent falling, but to prevent stepping up one-tile blocks in certain conditions.)

That said, I have sometimes seen all animations/movement 'freeze' for about a second, then resume their movement at the point where they would have been if they hadn't conspicuously stopped. That is definitely a bug. It's not a complete freeze in the sense of a stutter or 0 FPS - I can still move the cursor or interact with interface elements fine - but the motion of entities in the world.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 24, 2016, 05:01:07 am »

I was referencing the way a lot of people have reported (and I have experienced) that jumping feels slow and extremely unresponsive, momentum is fine, but when it becomes nearly impossible to accurately jump to a platform it becomes hugely problematic.  Also, turning while jumping (letting your mouse cross the median line of the screen) kills all of your momentum, causing your jump to be uncontrollable.  The basic mechanics of movement in the game are really messed up imo.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 24, 2016, 07:48:53 am »

It FEELS less grindy (thus far)

Crew Grinding can be painful... and pixil grinding...

But yeah they made ore grinding a lot more tolerable because you don't need bajillions of everything and they set up planets to be great at getting their specific ores.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 24, 2016, 08:34:39 am »

Yeaaahh. Ore grinding is the biggest improvement I think. Before you had to spend tons of time in each planet type for the new ores. Going al the way to the depths of each planet so you can get as much as the new ore as possible.
Not that the grinding is completely gone. I've been spending way too much time getting enough cotton for both that teddy bear quest item and armor.

One more thing: How do you even beat Dreadwing now? He seems to only have two attacks (in addition to periodically summoning new enemies): swoop down and fire down. The shots can be easily dodged, but I can't dodge the downwards swoop no matter what I do. I don't even have enough time between swoops to heal.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: July 24, 2016, 08:44:29 am »

On a related note, a 'cautious movement' toggle would also be nice not only to prevent falling, but to prevent stepping up one-tile blocks in certain conditions.

I've noticed that holding shift causes you to walk, allowing for more controlled jumps. Is this what you were meaning or am I misunderstanding?

Also loving the changes for 1.0. The lack of grind is very noticeable, and the game is beautiful. I've run across a bunch of small buildings and mini-biomes just on my first planet and, despite being obviously different, they all share cohesion. Granted, this may be intentional and not part of the planet generating algorithm, but that plus the impressive intro really make the game feel solid. I really think they nailed progression, at least in terms of differentiating the game from its inspirations and contemporaries.

Only thing I dislike is that so many enemies can get into Damned Bats territory. Using different weapons does mitigate that, so perhaps that was intentional.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 24, 2016, 08:49:32 am »

If you have the right angling you can block dreadwings swoop with a shield, and it blocks 100% of the damage in my experience.  Tricky to time but it gives you some headway
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 130