Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439259 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1020 on: July 24, 2016, 08:57:55 am »

For Dreadwing you either have to constantly dash away UNTIL he misses a swoop (don't even bother trying to "dodge" it)

Or yes, use a shield and block his ramming.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 24, 2016, 10:59:01 am »

On a related note, a 'cautious movement' toggle would also be nice not only to prevent falling, but to prevent stepping up one-tile blocks in certain conditions.

I've noticed that holding shift causes you to walk, allowing for more controlled jumps. Is this what you were meaning or am I misunderstanding?

It helps a bit but that is not quite what I mean. If you hold shift, the game will still allow you to happily walk up an incline, or off a fall into a pit. The toggle I suggest wouldn't allow you to change elevation at all (preventing both falls and from stepping up 1-tile slopes).

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 24, 2016, 11:03:09 am »

Re: Dreadwing, juice gives you a speed boost, and beakseed stuff gives you a jump height boost. Makes the terrain a little more navigable quickly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 24, 2016, 11:03:47 am »

Ohh and go left first and kill the penguins over there.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 24, 2016, 12:47:42 pm »

What kind of equipment should you use when you fight Dreadwing? I just tried twice but failed both times with tier 2 stuff.

Also, can you make your ship bigger? I've run out of room already and I have nowhere to put chests down.
E: Do I have to spend 10,000 pixels on the shady license guy?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:54:29 pm by OzyTheSage »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 24, 2016, 01:18:32 pm »

What kind of equipment should you use when you fight Dreadwing? I just tried twice but failed both times with tier 2 stuff.

Also, can you make your ship bigger? I've run out of room already and I have nowhere to put chests down.
IIRC you need crew. Settle down on a planet, build a settlement, and plop down a Colony Deed that's available from one of the NPCs. After a bit of questing around for the colonists, you'll have the option to have them join your ship's crew. Get the crew large enough, and you'll be able to apply for the upgraded license.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 24, 2016, 01:30:18 pm »

Thanks for the tip.

I do want to gripe a tad regarding every game in this fashion... why is there no option to sort of just make a blueprint so you can measure things out easily before you start to build? Rimworld has that option, as does Prison Architect, but for some reason other games are missing it. Having to count things out manually is pretty tedious.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 24, 2016, 01:40:10 pm »

IIRC you need crew. Settle down on a planet, build a settlement, and plop down a Colony Deed that's available from one of the NPCs. After a bit of questing around for the colonists, you'll have the option to have them join your ship's crew. Get the crew large enough, and you'll be able to apply for the upgraded license.
You can also just find people in villages or cities on other planets, do a lot of quests for them, and they'll eventually want to join you.

@Dreadwing
I just hid under the teleporter. The swoop cant reach you because it hits the roof. Then just dash out occasionally to attack, or use a guided rocket launcher.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 24, 2016, 02:27:49 pm »

I kinda lucked into an assault rifle for Dreadwing. Took until I upgraded my ship once, though... I think I was at the first green metal?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 24, 2016, 07:34:18 pm »

For the dreadwing fight I had just stayed on top of the hill and moved down the hill when it did the crush attack. If you want to fight it normally then higher equipment is desired.

I did manage to find a wand with heal aura, very useful on the standard difficulty when you want to go get the items that drop if you die.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 25, 2016, 01:04:43 am »

I will have to say, do not underestimate crew, mainly the engineer will reduce fuel cost by 10% every so often. I got one rather quickly and I haven't had to refuel since the one trip to the moon. At this point it costs me 6 fuel to go 1 vertical map distance.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 25, 2016, 03:11:24 am »

bwoop
ptw

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 25, 2016, 03:15:42 am »

I have to say I'm really enjoying the secondary attacks.

I have a burning assault rifle that fires an explosive burst for its secondary. The explosions happen around the cursor.

It's basically a rapid fire rocket launcher that sets things on fire and can act as a flak cannon.

I've found a hammer that can leave pillars of flame from the secondary fire. Though attacking requires wind up so I tend to use swords but it's useful to gain some space.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 25, 2016, 03:17:03 am »

The best secondaries for slow firing weapons are ones that essentially boil down to "attack again".

Shotgun has an outright "best" secondary as Burst Shot

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 25, 2016, 05:08:41 am »

The best secondaries for slow firing weapons are ones that essentially boil down to "attack again".

Shotgun has an outright "best" secondary as Burst Shot

...Iunno. I have a grenade launcher shotgun and it's pretty powerful,
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 130