Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441052 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1830 on: September 11, 2016, 02:27:57 pm »

Or you can block Starbound with your firewall, as previously mentioned. Problem solved.
Just let them be afraid. If anyone believes this sort of thing without doing an iota of research or fact checking, they deserve it.

I answered a question.  Why precisely do people feel it necessary to attack me for responding to a question?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1831 on: September 11, 2016, 02:58:45 pm »

Or you can block Starbound with your firewall, as previously mentioned. Problem solved.
Just let them be afraid. If anyone believes this sort of thing without doing an iota of research or fact checking, they deserve it.

I answered a question.  Why precisely do people feel it necessary to attack me for responding to a question?
I wasn't aware I had attacked anyone?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: September 11, 2016, 03:02:26 pm »

I fully accept that I may be over-reacting.  But generally when someone suggests that I am afraid, have failed to check the information, and 'deserve' something, then there is at the least some level of character attack being leveled against me.

If this is not he case and I am reading too much into your statement, I apologize.  There has been an awful lot of back-and-forth in this thread and it makes it difficult to tell where people are headspace-wise.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1833 on: September 11, 2016, 03:23:14 pm »

I fully accept that I may be over-reacting.  But generally when someone suggests that I am afraid, have failed to check the information, and 'deserve' something, then there is at the least some level of character attack being leveled against me.

If this is not he case and I am reading too much into your statement, I apologize.  There has been an awful lot of back-and-forth in this thread and it makes it difficult to tell where people are headspace-wise.
No worries. To be clear, I wasn't intending to insult you or anyone else. Sorry if it sounded that way

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: September 11, 2016, 03:26:42 pm »

Understood, again, my apologies for misinterpreting you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: September 12, 2016, 01:54:50 am »

I had assumed they were directing that at me, actually. Because I was the one expressing a concern about bandwidth, which is well-founded given I was already blind-sided by Starbound's listen server method of "single player," and wasn't able to search for any discussion of that problem after-the-fact.

And since I likewise couldn't find any information on how Minecraft handles single-player, paranoia ensues upon being informed that it also works by hosting a server. >_>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: September 12, 2016, 04:50:44 am »

And since I likewise couldn't find any information on how Minecraft handles single-player, paranoia ensues upon being informed that it also works by hosting a server. >_>

Don't worry too much about things using servers.  People always equate servers to things operating across the internet (which, it's true, is a major use of them), but ultimately any program acting as a 'server' is simply listening for connections on a given port - which doesn't necessarily mean it's listening out for them from the internet, or indeed any external source.  It's perfectly plausible, and indeed common, for a server to be a local server - which is, a program running on one machine that's listening out for connections on a port from that very same machine.

That's how Minecraft, Starbound, and a few other games run naturally, whether you're playing them singleplayer or multiplayer - they effectively have one program* acting as a server and running the world, and one program* running as your client where you are the player.  Your client connects to your server - they're both on the same machine, there's not necessarily any interaction with the wider internet (or network) involved at all, it's simply the way the program architecture's designed.

So, short version: don't get mislead into thinking the term 'server' only ever relates to networks and internets - it doesn't have to. :)

* Yes, for those of you who know of such things, I know that these technically aren't program-level distinctions, there aren't two separate applications running here in the majority of cases (dedicated servers aside).  Allow me some attempt at brevity.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: September 12, 2016, 01:57:19 pm »

AFAIK "localhost" or IP address 127.0.0.1 doesn't even go thru your network, it even works if you use a computer without a network card.
Whether that's what Starbound is using, I don't know. Even if the server is listening for external connections, localhost connections aren't routed via the netcard.

Pretty sure at least since "Quake" exists, every game is a server, even single player.

Now if some software is so badly done that it uses your actual IP address in the network (192.168.whatever) for the local client then it's probably using up your information transfer tubes. Well, either that or it's your fault for setting that IP for the server in the game config.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1838 on: September 12, 2016, 02:08:17 pm »

Even in that case, it's trivially easy to block a program from accessing the internet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: September 12, 2016, 02:18:17 pm »

Now if some software is so badly done that it uses your actual IP address in the network (192.168.whatever) for the local client then it's probably using up your information transfer tubes. Well, either that or it's your fault for setting that IP for the server in the game config.

Information transfer tubes?
.oO(The internet is a series of tubes!)

It's not using your internet bandwidth unless someone actually connects to your game. Starbound comes with a setting which allows your steam friends to join, although I haven't tried it or had anyone try to join mine (I have a ridiculous number of mods anyways and I assume clients (other players) would need them too).

I wouldn't call "deliberately being designed to allow friends to join your game" "badly done" for choosing to listen on an interface which actually allows that feature to work. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: September 12, 2016, 05:31:33 pm »

wow.  just, wow.  can we talk about starbound again?

whats the deal with the novakids now?  Do they have their own towns and quest locations and stuff?  Or do they just migrate into your settlements.

Anything else new in the update?

I got a bit burnt out on crafting after I couldn't sort resources in my inventory or sort useful things from all the various trash things.  There aren't any solutions for that, are there?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 13, 2016, 05:27:30 pm »

Wow, I thought Starbound had a client/server architecture. I guess not and I was talking about something else entirely. My apologies for talking about something that clearly wasn't Starbound, by mistake. That other game, whatever its name is, is the one that is probably not wasting bandwidth in singleplayer.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 14, 2016, 03:13:23 am »

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:26:29 am by puke »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: September 14, 2016, 09:18:53 am »

Well, I got bored fast.

Even with the Frackin Universe mod enabled, all worlds seemed too much like carbon copies of each other (making spaceship travel kinda pointless). A mod hiccup that erased my save sealed the deal.

Honestly, I get fun for longer out of Cataclysm DDA..
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: September 14, 2016, 10:57:10 am »

Even with the Frackin Universe mod enabled, all worlds seemed too much like carbon copies of each other

I got quite a few hours of entertainment from FU, the biomes were pretty diverse and interesting to me. 

I found some neat stuff, had a nice "Interstellar" style feeling of wonder from exploring a cloud biome.  Harvested some clouds to make sprinboards at my coloniesI like all the ruins and odd planets, and I never even got into the very hostile kinds of biomes.

That said, I tend to agree with you.  There is lots to see, but underneath it all it is just a random terrain generator with various random status effects.  There isnt really a reason to build a colony -- it does not produce anything or interact with the outside world.  The quests from colonists don't have any relevance to anything. 

There is no real reason to craft or farm besides making the next grade of armor and gun to shoot the next level of monster.

I got my money's worth, but unless a mod can add in some actual gameplay rather than just cramming in more content, I'm probably done. 

I'll probably keep coming back to watch the community for updates, I'm hopeful that something interesting will be done here.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 130