Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441185 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1815 on: September 10, 2016, 07:48:44 pm »

Shhh, let the haters do their thing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: September 10, 2016, 08:49:33 pm »

Eat up bandwidth how? It's not getting any data from the internet. It's pretty much just waiting for an incoming connection. It's like saying you're charged to mail out letters then being afraid of owning a mailbox.
But you never know when the dreaded "postage due" letter will arrive in the hands of a mailman demanding his 25¢.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: September 10, 2016, 09:15:48 pm »

The what.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: September 10, 2016, 09:26:16 pm »

The what.
"Postage due."  In good old-fashioned snail mail, if you didn't put enough postage to pay the way of the letter or package, one of two things would happen:
1. The package would be returned to sender.
2. The package would be delivered, and if delivery was accepted, the recipient was required to pay the remaining postage.  Sometimes this was done with a postage due stamp on the envelope conducted on the honor system, possibly with a second envelope provided for you to actually put the postage in, but especially in the early days when they actually tried to give the letter or package to someone at the house, you'd literally have the mailman hit you up for the missing postage right there.  Some institutional inertia aside, the latter stopped when people realized that the five minutes taken to collect postage right there ended up costing the postal service than the actual postage loss itself. 

Hence why it was amusing about being charged for that incoming connection being tied to being worried about mailboxes due to being charged for incoming letters: because that could actually happen with the latter, which undermines the comparison.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:29:24 pm by Culise »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: September 10, 2016, 09:27:47 pm »

Basically, you never know exactly how a game is going to handle a fake singleplayer mode. If it uses a listen serve it might still make use of the connection to some extent. This is bad if you have potato net. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: September 10, 2016, 09:52:42 pm »

So you're saying that the mere opening of a port is going to cost you bandwidth? Coz... wow.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: September 10, 2016, 10:00:06 pm »

Allow me my glorious paranoia. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: September 11, 2016, 02:49:24 am »

Block it, then. 

Use your built in windows firewall or linux iptables, and restrict access to that port, except from localhost.

Or just monitor the traffic until you satisfy yourself that there isn't any.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: September 11, 2016, 03:27:45 am »

Well I mean.
Minecraft does it too. The only real difference is that it pauses.

last I checked Minecraft (and Terraia for that matter) do not devour your bandwidth when in singleplayer, and can be played offline. Or rather, both of them actually HAVE singleplayer to begin with.

This is not true. I've played SB offline just yesterday
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: September 11, 2016, 04:22:36 am »

Yeah, no, if you've got any even slightly modern form of router or other gateway, SB can't even listen for incoming connections from the internet without you having to port forward (at least in my experience), so even the mailbox analogy isn't sufficient - this is like being worried about being charged for stamps and therefore not even wanting to own a mailbox that's locked inaccessibly inside your own house.  In the basement.  Guarded by dragons.  It's literally almost the exact same identical setup, in terms of server/client architecture, to Minecraft.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: September 11, 2016, 04:26:19 am »

Except that if you are playing through Steam (and Steam is online obv.) people can join your world without invitation or warning.  So unless you are in offline mode, there is no such thing as Sp in Starbound.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: September 11, 2016, 08:12:49 am »

Or you can block Starbound with your firewall, as previously mentioned. Problem solved.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1827 on: September 11, 2016, 08:22:43 am »

Or you can block Starbound with your firewall, as previously mentioned. Problem solved.
Just let them be afraid. If anyone believes this sort of thing without doing an iota of research or fact checking, they deserve it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: September 11, 2016, 11:50:56 am »

-_-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: September 11, 2016, 12:20:05 pm »

You can turn off steam joining in the options, so you don't even need to go offline. Alternatively you can just launch the game without going through steam.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 130