Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83272 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #375 on: December 26, 2015, 05:55:02 pm »

Currently reading The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 26, 2015, 06:04:09 pm »

Oooh, that one's pretty awesome! Like an 18th century The Martian, just better - if you can stand a fairly bad Mary Stu main character, that is.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 26, 2015, 06:21:38 pm »

It's hilarious how common those are in old books. :V The Swiss Family Robinson, Robinson Crusoe, and on.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 26, 2015, 06:48:49 pm »

Oooh, that one's pretty awesome! Like an 18th century The Martian, just better - if you can stand a fairly bad Mary Stu main character, that is.
Already read it years ago, rereading it now. Still good. Still unnecessarily verbose.

All the 5 main characters seem op, but Cyrus Harding is the opest.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 26, 2015, 06:52:59 pm »

Already read it years ago, rereading it now. Still good. Still unnecessarily verbose.

All the 5 main characters seem op, but Cyrus Harding is the opest.

I begin to understand why. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 26, 2015, 06:57:26 pm »

I got Count Zero  (whatever that Neuromancer sequel-ish thing is called), Green Mars and The Fifth Season for Christmas c:

What should I start with?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 26, 2015, 07:01:23 pm »

Since I'm on a Glen Cook kick now I got the first Instrumentalities of the Night book.  Oh boy.  I don't really know what to do with this one.

Sort of like how the latter books of The Black Company adhere really strongly to Indian culture, IoN is pretty much 13th century Europe with all the proper nouns replaced with mad libs.  The main character is definitely not a janissary in service to what is definitely not the Ottoman empire.  Meanwhile the definitely not norwegians pursue some definitely not christian monks across the sea after their leader is murdered and then taken up by definitely not valkyries.  He may have been murdered by definitely not Denmark, or by the Hidden Folk, which are what's actually interesting about the book.

It sort of reminds me of a more mature, much more dense version of the Golden Compass.  You've got a world that very closely mimics the real one but with magic and shit.  The Holy Land is holy because of the Wells of Irhian which pump out magic.  The farther you get from the central concentration of wells (There are weaker ones elsewhere) the colder it gets until you reach endless darkness and ever-encroaching glaciers.  The world is infested with the Instrumentalities of the Night, which are spirits sort of like the Unknown Shadows in Black Company.   Everything from minor nuisances all the way up to the gods of the world are just bigger or smaller Night spirits.  The aforementioned valkyries, the all-father who sent them, the gods of the definitely not Muslims and definitely not Christians, are all these spirits that are somehow connected to the wells.

Anyway, the main character's band of definitely not janissaries gets attacked by a bogon, a malignant demigod, and in a fit of inspiration he fills the experimental cannon they brought along with silver coins and blows the thing away.  The rest of the book, when it wants to stick to what's actually interesting and not veer off into mind-numbing tangents about the history of the world (which you already know because it's identical to medieval europe), is about the upheaval that comes with that.  The gods of the world are just bigger, smarter bogons.  The genie's out of the bottle, man's discovered a weapon that can kill God as easily as it kills Bill from down the street.

That's why it reminds me of The Golden Compass.  I can't decide if it's good or not.  I think it would've been better if he'd focused on one or two subplots instead of burying you in history.

I began to read them after this post. Quite hooked.  I like it better than TBC
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 26, 2015, 07:55:20 pm »

I got Count Zero  (whatever that Neuromancer sequel-ish thing is called), Green Mars and The Fifth Season for Christmas c:

What should I start with?
It is called Count Zero and, since it is the only one in your post I recognize (and read), I suggest you start with that.

Reading The Differential Machine myself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #383 on: December 26, 2015, 08:01:58 pm »

I got around to picking up Terry Pratchett's last novel, Raising Steam. It seems fairly good so far, being basically a Discworld novel.

It's not his last one, he managed to write another one, The Shepherd's Crown before he passed away.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 27, 2015, 02:51:13 am »

I had not heard that. I'll have to look into it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 03, 2016, 10:58:46 pm »

reread the "His Dark Materials" series. loved it even more than i did years ago. i also found out he is releasing a new book as a companion series sometime this year! :o

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2016, 07:18:31 pm »

I finished Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy a while ago and I thought that it was certainly... Interesting, it's in no way bad but I feel as though if some people wrote in the same style as Douglas Adams then they would not be seen in a favourable light. I started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel a while ago and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy. I also decided to read some of Keats' poetry seeing as he is one of my mothers favourite poets and I generally find her taste aligns with mine, especially since she gave me Looking for Alibrandi in the past holidays because, 1. She's teaching it and wanted to talk to someone about it, and 2. She thought I would like it. She was certainly correct with her assumption that I would enjoy it. And finally my grandmother has given me My Name is Asher Lev, stating that it's possibly her favourite book and I'm looking forward to reading it. So, what has everyone else been reading?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2016, 07:22:00 pm »

Well, just read Walter Benjamin's "Paris of the Second Empire in Baudelaire" for the second time already for an assignment. I really wish he'd done some kind of introduction instead of jumping straight in leaving up to the reader to figure out what the hell he is on about.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2016, 09:27:41 pm »

I'm currently reading—
I'm currently reading this thread.
an entirely different joke. I was definitely not going to make that joke.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2016, 09:54:25 pm »

Currently reading "Everything and More, a Compact History of Infinity" by one David Foster Wallace. It's interesting, and the edition I have has a neat introduction by a dude, describing an experiment he did with irradiating corn.

I find myself in a position to replicate the experiment, and as such will do so.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 58