Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83254 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #480 on: June 25, 2016, 03:19:29 pm »

I still don't get what you mean, tbh...

For me Dune is pure political intrigue. Frankly, it did Game of Thrones thirty years before GoT, and it did it better. Religion is only present there as a purely instrumentalized social construct in the service of power groups - in some cases it's very existence was meant as this in the first place.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 25, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »

I still don't get what you mean, tbh...

For me Dune is pure political intrigue. Frankly, it did Game of Thrones thirty years before GoT, and it did it better. Religion is only present there as a purely instrumentalized social construct in the service of power groups - in some cases it's very existence was meant as this in the first place.
Missionaria Protectiva.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 25, 2016, 03:22:40 pm »

Indeed.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 26, 2016, 02:26:08 am »

Beowulf I found a bit too jesusy...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2016, 12:46:32 pm »

Oh shit. How could I miss that.

I've been kind of off the last few days. It was a tiring week...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 26, 2016, 12:55:02 pm »

No harm done. Made for pretty humorous crossed wires.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 30, 2016, 09:46:30 am »

I started reading job seeking books: "Don't Send a Resume" which I finished. Very succinct and to the point, it was a short book. Then "What color is your parachute: 2016 edition" which I'm also finding to be very informative and useful.

I also finished "WHY WE SNAP!" about the neurocircuitry of anger, though the book actually expands onto many interesting subjects of neurology. Interesting tidbits include: That the eyes picks up information, and split it between the conscious brain and the unconscious brain; cutting the neural circuit to the conscious brain makes you totally blind, but information is still being sent to the unconscious brain, so a blind person can still "see" facial expressions and force alerts in your brain to be frightened of things that you have no clue what you're 'looking' at. Also, estrogen alone controls the single circuit in the brain than controls intense sexual arousal and the trigger to fight to the death, with the only difference between the two being the amount of estrogen pumped into the one neuro-pathway that controls both of them simultaneously.

Really intensely cool book all around. Next I'll be starting "When the Sun Bursts" which is about Schizophrenia.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 30, 2016, 12:43:11 pm »

Finished book 1 and 2 of the Void Wraith trilogy by Chris Fox. Bit of a light read, but it was enjoyable. I especially liked the cat aliens which remind me a lot of the Kilrathi from wing commander.

Starting up Good Omens which I have somehow never read despite being a huge Pratchett fan. My side have already left the local galactic cluster.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 13, 2016, 07:40:26 am »

I read the first couple books of The Dresden Files. Interesting series.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2016, 07:55:07 am »

Started reading the Welcome to Night Vale novel. Currently having no regrets there.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 15, 2016, 06:28:06 pm »

http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/index.html

Basically a Dark Heresy campaign log, wherein the entire party is imperial guardsmen. Very entertaining.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 16, 2016, 08:11:53 am »

I finished The Martian. It was a really enjoyable read, would recommend to anyone wanting to read something fun but still well-written and smart.
Just finished The Martian. 10/10 would read again. Ending made me lol with how optimistic it is though. IRL NASA would've run out of fund really fast because America doesn't care.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 16, 2016, 08:13:21 am »

Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville. First of the Bas-lag novels.
One wheel short of a wagon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 16, 2016, 01:49:50 pm »

Just re-read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad to get inspiration for my Curious Expedition LP.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 16, 2016, 04:25:13 pm »

http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/index.html

Basically a Dark Heresy campaign log, wherein the entire party is imperial guardsmen. Very entertaining.
Just finished reading that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 58