Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83249 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #765 on: February 05, 2020, 09:05:50 am »

Started reading Grandes Sertões: Veredas.

It's a bit hard to read due to the style, but it's a classic so I'll give it an honest chance.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 05, 2020, 09:29:30 am »

Finally digging into Shogun by James Clavell. I found a copy in my father's house and read the first chapter - I was a bit dubious at first, but past that I have really started getting into it.
Oh, I have a copy of that somewhere, unless somebody got rid of it. Not sure it ever especially grabbed my attention (I guess I was dubious, too), but maybe I should read it sometime.   

Started reading Grandes Sertões: Veredas.

It's a bit hard to read due to the style, but it's a classic so I'll give it an honest chance.
That looks kinda fascinating! It's a shame that, from what I've read, its style doesn't really carry across well upon translation, but I wouldn't mind tracking down the best English version and giving it a try sometime. Also, I was reading about that period of time and the activities of cangaceiros not long ago and I'm pretty sure I'd planned on reading a book about Lampião at some point.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 05, 2020, 12:46:05 pm »

Paradise Lost.

It's pretty anime tbh.
One wheel short of a wagon

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 05, 2020, 05:40:36 pm »

Paradise Lost.

"...of adamantine chains and penal fire..."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 06, 2020, 01:03:29 pm »

The dude who wrote Powder Mage is doing a modern fantasy series now. Second book is about to come out so the first is free for a bit. I'm interested in reading it, but I should probably go actually finish his second trilogy first.

Uncanny Collateral. Get a load of that book description.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 06, 2020, 02:38:16 pm »

That honestly sounds interesting. I hope it doesn’t take itself too seriously though. Something like that can easily become cringey.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 08, 2020, 05:23:06 am »

Currently on Book 2 of the Dresden Files "Fool Moon". Really enjoying it so far. Nobody gets their asses kicked as much as Noir private eyes, and the magic in the universe is so cool.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 14, 2020, 02:10:37 am »

Finished The Shipping News. It was great all the way through, but I've raved about it enough already.

Now to decide what to read next. This is kind of a different challenge to usual, since all of my stacks of books were upended, rearranged and packed into various boxes that are now stored around the room I'm staying in.
Lots of books I'd almost forgotten about have surfaced during this process, and it's a matter of digging out books in the order I can reach them.

One of the titles in the top of one box was For Whom the Bell Tolls, and I briefly gave it another go, but... the fact that it's based on a real conflict and from the perspective of one of the bad guys doesn't sit too well with me.
It's silly, I know. But when I have so many books to choose from it's easy to feel unsatisfied with what you're reading, and it is kind of nice to have a relatable protagonist.

Hmmm. Might see what else I can dig out.
I wish I had my whole collection catalogued so that I could ask y'all for recommendations.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 02, 2020, 09:10:12 am »

Started reading The Beach by Alex Garland yesterday or the day before. It is damn good so far. I had no idea what to expect, and honestly that hasn't changed at all now that I'm over a hundred pages in.

Kinda makes me want to go back-packing and Bush-bashing across South-East Asia, though...
Booze is Life for Yoink

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 02, 2020, 07:34:06 pm »

With all its references to gods and "the clearing at the end of the path," reading the Dark Tower feels a lot different after deconverting.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:49:19 pm by Eschar »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 04, 2020, 05:27:19 am »

Holy hell, this book just gets better and better.
In its own, very unusual way, it's turning out to pack as much of a gut-punch as certain Irvine Welsh novels. I've had to stop for a moment just now to catch my breath, and that's only a minor exaggeration. 

I want to gush about it, but I don't want to spoil anything. I'm far enough in to whole-heartedly recommend it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 04, 2020, 06:33:02 pm »

Holy hell, this book just gets better and better.
In its own, very unusual way, it's turning out to pack as much of a gut-punch as certain Irvine Welsh novels. I've had to stop for a moment just now to catch my breath, and that's only a minor exaggeration. 

I want to gush about it, but I don't want to spoil anything. I'm far enough in to whole-heartedly recommend it.

What book is it?
...the vaguebook from the other thread?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 04, 2020, 09:29:55 pm »

Same one I mentioned two posts up! I suppose I could have quoted it, but that didn't occur to me.

I finished it last night. Couldn't put it down, apart from one moment where I had to stop and scoff the rest of my dinner so that I could have both hands free and no distractions. 'Twas intense. And yes, it was the one I mentioned in the WTF thread. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 07, 2020, 07:37:29 am »

Just finished reading The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill.
It was considerably less sappy than the name suggests, but it was still rather sappy. I was in two minds about it almost the whole way through, but nevertheless I could not put it down.   
It sort of nostalgically exhumes one's inner child and makes him or her clap their hands with glee, whilst also thrilling one's adult self with a shocking journey through the seedy, desperate underbelly of Montreal around the time of the Great Depression.

Oh, and of course there's a reasonable amount of tragic romance, as one might expect. Also jazz. I don't think the word "jazz" was ever actually mentioned, but you just know there was at least a bit of it going on.

Some of its bouts of philosophical rambling were a bit rich and some of the prose and dialogue got a bit sickly-sweet, but I feel like that was probably the idea.
I'm not too proud to admit that I cried at least a little despite my misgivings. Then again, my emotions are somewhat frayed at present, but it still counts in the book's favour.
Booze is Life for Yoink

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 07, 2020, 07:52:01 am »

I esnt to start reading romance of the three kingdoms. I got from the interwebs the old Brewitt translation. I know there's a better one from the 80s that is not available on the interwebs :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 58