I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580304 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2015, 08:47:02 am »

So in history class we are starting to learn about Islamic nations, this is going to be fun  :).
Anywho I was wondering how do Muslims view Jesus? I know they call him a prophet but is he still gods son in their belief or just another prophet?
Just another prophet, along with Moses, Joseph, Noah, etc. Every prophet worked some miracles to show that they carried God's message. Jesus is something of a special case though since he ascended to high heavens before he was crucified, but since everyone will die someday, he's expected to make a return, where he'll rule the world. So there is that, and yes, this is part of what I was raised to believe as a Muslim, not a Christian

So in Muslim faith Jesus will still return just like in Christian faith, maybe with a bit of different context as to why, but still Jesus coming back to rule the earth around the time of judgement?

Where does that leave Muhammad though? No idea if he is supposed to come back or something.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2015, 09:15:06 am »

So in history class we are starting to learn about Islamic nations, this is going to be fun  :).
Anywho I was wondering how do Muslims view Jesus? I know they call him a prophet but is he still gods son in their belief or just another prophet?
Just another prophet, along with Moses, Joseph, Noah, etc. Every prophet worked some miracles to show that they carried God's message. Jesus is something of a special case though since he ascended to high heavens before he was crucified, but since everyone will die someday, he's expected to make a return, where he'll rule the world. So there is that, and yes, this is part of what I was raised to believe as a Muslim, not a Christian

So in Muslim faith Jesus will still return just like in Christian faith, maybe with a bit of different context as to why, but still Jesus coming back to rule the earth around the time of judgement?

Where does that leave Muhammad though? No idea if he is supposed to come back or something.

IIRC he was another prophet, like God's right hand man. Sent to give another important message
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2015, 10:08:27 am »

The whole "don't make images of Mohammed" thing is because of the idea that Mohammed was just a man, not divine in any way.

Of course, originally it was so that his image (and him) would not be worshipped as idolatry in place of Allah,  and that's kind of been... twisted, so it's more like he's a divine figure to be protected and that would be blasphemy to depict.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:44 am »

Yes.

Well, Mohammed's time has come, he was just the last to be a prophet. Might differ a bit between Sunni's and Shia's here, since the Shia muslims do believe in some sort of imams coming around I think. Don't think I can elaborate more here other than it being possibly different.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:57 am »

The whole "don't make images of Mohammed" thing is because of the idea that Mohammed was just a man, not divine in any way.

Of course, originally it was so that his image (and him) would not be worshipped as idolatry in place of Allah,  and that's kind of been... twisted, so it's more like he's a divine figure to be protected and that would be blasphemy to depict.

Ah, the ironing is delicious.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 27, 2015, 10:33:44 am »

Ah, the ironing is delicious.

Did you know that Christianity actually went through a period where views about depicting Jesus were similar to that about depicting Muhommad? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm

Edit: Two actually, one during the Byzantine era and one during the Protestant Reformation.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:38:12 am by smjjames »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2015, 11:12:04 am »

So did the Amarna heretics.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2015, 12:03:16 pm »

Dont judge until you have been changed by it just like I wont judge you religions.

Feel free to judge my...hrm...religion all you want :P

And children seeing Santa Claus are changed by it, too. Whether or not an experience has changed you in no way adds to its validity. Especially when brought about by physical means.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2015, 02:08:36 pm »

Did you know that Christianity actually went through a period where views about depicting Jesus were similar to that about depicting Muhommad? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm

I like to think if there is a god, he still enforces that commandment literally and everybody who has a little jesus on a cross in their home is going to hell for it.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2015, 02:16:16 pm »

Or the virgin Mary. Or has ever said "OMG" or other assorted common-place blasphemies.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #295 on: January 27, 2015, 02:30:54 pm »

The presence of an image of Jesus strongly implies that they won't go to hell for anything, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 27, 2015, 03:40:14 pm »

well that and most people who have those items would have asked forgivness of sins
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 27, 2015, 03:45:45 pm »

First, they must repent.

If they don't see it as a sin, they won't repent. Asking for forgiveness doesn't instantly give you a universal by.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 27, 2015, 04:12:46 pm »

Unlike the laws of man, the laws of God generally provide for people's ignorance thereof.

Anyway in the news, this might be a thing that happens. This article is somewhat sensational, but it was the best I could find. I'm not looking forward to the shitstorm that results from whatever they decide to do, in any case.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:15:50 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 27, 2015, 04:16:59 pm »

In the catholic faith at least, it's repent, confess and penance. Less so the latter now a days though. Still, repenting requires knowledge.

Then again, my info may be out of date, I read that in a history book on Chaucer's time.

Edit: Mixed up penance and penitence :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:21:12 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 521