I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582146 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1051 on: February 21, 2015, 07:24:36 pm »

I think it's fairly obvious what I meant.
Yes It was. My point without pointing it out was that you did exsit in the womb without memory of it. So why cant you exsist before conception without memory of it??

The Voynich manuscript is the earliest pre-alpha version of Dwarf Fortress. The resemblance is uncanny.

Oh my this had me laughing makes sense. We should steal the book for Tarn. He must really miss it by now.

Thanks for that comic strip Orange. I hadnt seen it before. I laughed again.
Wow what a good day
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:31:04 pm by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: February 21, 2015, 07:27:48 pm »

Atheists: What do you think of free will?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 21, 2015, 07:33:50 pm »

Great film

Edit: this is what wolfy thinks a good joke is.
He was wrong! Now look at him. Disgraceful
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:43:15 pm by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 21, 2015, 07:34:28 pm »

Great film
That's "Free Willy"

Totally different.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: February 21, 2015, 07:47:32 pm »

The concept of "free will" seems ill defined at best, especially in the context of religious discourse where it seems to shift between being something non-deterministic, deterministic, chaotic, or even none of the above (which is impossible) depending on what contradiction the speaker is trying to rationalize.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 21, 2015, 07:50:26 pm »

Some atheists believe in free will, and some of them don't. That question is not an essential part of their "belief system," and in either case, the answer has no practical implications. (For the record, I don't believe in free will. I didn't choose this belief.)

Also:   
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a dwarven bathtub / vomit-powered dwarfputer. Obviously.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 21, 2015, 07:53:23 pm »

Some atheists believe in free will, and some of them don't. That question is not an essential part of their "belief system," and in either case, the answer has no practical implications. (For the record, I don't believe in free will. I didn't choose this belief.)

Also:   
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a dwarven bathtub / vomit-powered dwarfputer. Obviously.

Not only is it the vomitubcpu its a human farm aswell. They are all female. The children are minced for parts

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 21, 2015, 07:59:59 pm »

The concept of Free Will is also based on a sort of false correlation; the implication that the "will" part is inextricably bound up to the "free" part. That all volition must be "free" in some ill defined sense, which is far from a given.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 21, 2015, 08:05:11 pm »

Yeah true freedom is nothing. No boundarys. To exsist is to be trapped. But im re quoting what I said way back in the thread.
You can only be partialy free. Free of emotions, responsibility, servitude and so on. Free will means that when your bone gets chipped youl pass out from pain and get your head caved in.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:40:11 am by That Wolf »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1060 on: February 21, 2015, 09:08:19 pm »

Well, it depends on what you mean by that. I think we're deterministic processes, maybe with some randomness throw in by quantum mechanics. I believe that human decisions can be traced back to root causes: Genetics + Environment + Upbringing + ..., etc. In other words, I believe that all of our decisions could be perfectly predicted if one had perfect information and Infinite Processing Power
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:21:18 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 27, 2015, 08:28:48 pm »

Well, it depends on what you mean by that. I think we're deterministic processes, maybe with some randomness throw in by quantum mechanics.

Chaos theory would seem to imply that differences on the quantum level would translate into different outcomes on larger scales.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1062 on: February 27, 2015, 11:01:41 pm »

Theoretically. I'm not sure if that's applicable in this case, and even if it is, That doesn't really change anything. Then we're just deterministic processes + a roll of the dice.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 28, 2015, 11:40:34 am »

Theoretically. I'm not sure if that's applicable in this case, and even if it is, That doesn't really change anything. Then we're just deterministic processes + a roll of the dice.
If that's the case, it does. Every single bit of randomness not only propagates, but also interacts with every other bit of randomness; it would mean the randomness increases exponentially for each element of the system, but since a number of combinations cancel each other out, it would mean that the totality of universe, humans included, wouldn't be perfectly predictable, but be one massive multi-dimensional normal distribution of each independent randomized parameter.

That, in turn, means that 99.9% of everything is, for the most part, normal-ish, but there is a possibility for rare tail conditions which are completely unexpected, and since, statistically, no matter how low probability, an event with non-zero probability's chance of occuring at least once approaches 1 as time approaches infinity. Some events are unlikely enough that they would not happen until the heat death of the universe, of course, but the point stands.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1064 on: February 28, 2015, 01:14:14 pm »

But the point remains that neither o those things provides us with free will. Whether the universe is random or deterministic, we still don't have free will.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 521