I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582117 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2190 on: June 12, 2015, 01:39:32 am »

That was the point, OW. If God is actually Omniscient then there's no way He could ever regret anything without changing if he was also Omniscient. I actually wrote what I said badly, though, what I meant was that in the grand scheme of things, if even a single being anywhere is truly omniscient the universe is on rails it's never getting off from.

Although from what I can gather, I'd say it's more likely that His regret was more along the lines of "It is sad, but it must be done."
Which is also kinda stupid since if anyone could Take a Third Option it would be God. Maybe He's trapped by fate or something, I dunno.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:41:08 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: June 12, 2015, 01:49:31 am »

My take is that he is trapped by his own rules.  While theoretically capable of doing literally anything, he is forced into doing NOTHING under many circumstances, or into doing things he dislikes (such as said regret) under others, in order to avoid being a hypocrite.

This is also why the accuser/satan/"insert title here" is still around; God and this entity have been having a pointed argument that God refuses to just GodMode Sue out of existence. 

Biblical God seems unwilling to GodMode Sue his problems away.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: June 12, 2015, 01:50:25 am »

That was the point, OW. If God is actually Omniscient then there's no way He could ever regret anything without changing if he was also Omniscient. I actually wrote what I said badly, though, what I meant was that in the grand scheme of things, if even a single being anywhere is truly omniscient the universe is on rails it's never getting off from.

Although from what I can gather, I'd say it's more likely that His regret was more along the lines of "It is sad, but it must be done."

Of course that would mean he's not omnipotent
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: June 12, 2015, 01:58:52 am »

Perhaps, but perhaps it is him trying to live up to not being a complete despotic tyrant.

A god that does not obey the very rules it lays down for others is not a just god.  The christian god proudly proclaims being a just god. That means that while physically capable of doing evil things, it simply wont do them.

The argument then has an analog like this:

"So, you say you are omnipotent?"
YES. I AM.
"Cool. Murder this guy."
NO.
"C'mon, it's not like it matters to you- you can murder him an unlimited number of times and simply resurrect him instantly afterwards. He wouldnt even realize you had murdered him. There wouldnt be any consequences! Just do it!"
NO.
"So what you are saying, is that you are NOT omnipotent!"

Basically, the morality of an omnipotent being transcends consequence as we think about it. "god" would know that he had comitted a murder, even if the murder lasted 0 picoseconds before the stiff was brought back to life.   If he did that, he would not be fit to judge other beings.  Thus, he willfully does not engage in such actions-- even if it is more than possible for him to do so.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: June 12, 2015, 02:08:23 am »

You mean like all those times He didn't murder massive amounts of peop- Oh... Though I'll admit I can't remember the justifications for those actions, as Omniscient and Omnipotent everything that happens is by God's express will and permission. It can't not be. He's trapped by his own actions.

There's also this analog:

"So, you're omnipotent, omniscient, nothing but benevolent and can do utterly anything?"
OBVIOUSLY.
"Cool, can you make this guy happy? He's been wanting to commit suicide for years."
NO.
"Wait, why not, I thought you were only benevolent?"
A LIFE LIKE THAT HAS NO MEANING.
"Can't you just make it have meaning? You're omnipotent, right?"
ER...
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: June 12, 2015, 02:15:12 am »

Also all the horrible deaths in the world. Those are still things.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:51 am »

I think the omnipotence is a mistranslation that just got held over into dogma by the terrible ancient power of MUH TRADISHUNS (much like horned Moses or *hem*virginbirth*hem*). The equivalent Greek term, Pantokrator means 'ruler of all things' - which technically is translatable to 'omnipotent', i.e. has power over all the things, but has more broadly encompassing connotations which cause the classical paradoxes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: June 12, 2015, 07:48:36 am »

Ye, the omnipotent and omniscient qualities attributed to god could quite possibly been just results of mistranslations. At no point does god specifically mention he knows everything, AFAIK, nor does god seem to "read minds" in the bible, altough he does have insight on several thing, and ocasionaly makes prophecies, but this could just be god predicting the results of a plan he's working on, rather then actual precognition.

Omnipresence is thing thats mentioned or implied, though, and is a quality that became more explicit when the idea of the trinity (father, son, holy ghost) was conceived, and this quality is attributed to the "holy ghost", meaning god is literally everywhere at the same time, meaning god is yog sothoth :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: June 12, 2015, 08:07:23 am »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:18:56 am by penguinofhonor »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: June 12, 2015, 09:17:20 am »

god is yog sothoth :v
If I lived in States of USonia, I'd be massively tempted to go out on a road with a sandwichboard with 'LORD knows the gate! LORD is the gate! HPL 19:28-29' right about now.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: June 12, 2015, 10:00:21 am »

meaning god is yog sothoth :v

You know, it's been a theory of mine for a while that the name "Yog-Sothoth" is meant to be a corruption of "YHVH-Saboath"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: June 12, 2015, 01:01:33 pm »

Ye, the omnipotent and omniscient qualities attributed to god could quite possibly been just results of mistranslations. At no point does god specifically mention he knows everything, AFAIK, nor does god seem to "read minds" in the bible, altough he does have insight on several thing, and ocasionaly makes prophecies, but this could just be god predicting the results of a plan he's working on, rather then actual precognition.

Omnipresence is thing thats mentioned or implied, though, and is a quality that became more explicit when the idea of the trinity (father, son, holy ghost) was conceived, and this quality is attributed to the "holy ghost", meaning god is literally everywhere at the same time, meaning god is yog sothoth :v
From my readings of the old testament (but not yet the new), it seems that there are two kinds of prophecies: One of them is god going "This is what I am going to do", and the other being "This is what is going to happen naturally".
The first only means that he is immensely powerful, and can basically choose the outcome of events if he choses.
The second means that god can indeed see the future to some degree, although this pretty obviously has some limits as there are some things he doesn't predict.

I should note that I don't have anything remotely concrete to back this up though.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: June 12, 2015, 02:28:30 pm »

meaning god is yog sothoth :v

You know, it's been a theory of mine for a while that the name "Yog-Sothoth" is meant to be a corruption of "YHVH-Saboath"

god is yog sothoth :v
If I lived in States of USonia, I'd be massively tempted to go out on a road with a sandwichboard with 'LORD knows the gate! LORD is the gate! HPL 19:28-29' right about now.

Now here's the thing: in hermeticism, when god talks to Hermes Trismegistus, he calls himself "Poimandres"/"Pimander", and says that he is only god's mind ("the mind of the great lord"), meaning he's Nyarlatothep :v!
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: June 12, 2015, 02:43:52 pm »

Yeah, but it's just classic Nyarly to go around pretending he's some other god.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: June 21, 2015, 10:21:48 am »

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/how-should-we-respond-to-caitlyn-jenner , in which Jon Bloom of desiringgod takes a different view of caitlyn jenner's story, namely, not being a fucking idiot about it.

Interesting read, even if you don't agree with what Bloom is saying.

FAKEDIT: interestingly enough a couple writers on that website, such as John Piper (!!), still subscribe to the view that LGBBQ folk obviously have some sort of spiritual craving or mental trauma that they're dealing with, which I don't have to tell you is a hilariously outdated notion.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:32:26 am by ggamer »
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 521