I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582116 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2325 on: June 29, 2015, 05:29:46 pm »

Assuming you are right, though I don't recall any such belief being expressed, it still means he finds it acceptable in at least some contexts.

And that is horrible.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2326 on: June 29, 2015, 05:33:17 pm »

Because Satan is a misunderstood soul who looked to the stars and was, as a consequence, sealed in the lowest vaults of matter and time away from the stars. He was the insidious, yet loveable whisperer who told us of the advantages of knowledge.
Stannis is a cold brute of a man who acts on harsh duty. To quote (somewhat accurately, I hope) Jane Eyre, "feeling without judgement is too washy a draught...but reason without feeling is too bitter."
Sure sounds like Satanism in here

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: June 29, 2015, 06:17:49 pm »

Like the gods of the CTHULHU Mythos
Why the hell did you spell Cthulhu like that?

As a parody of the word "LORD" being written with small-caps like that in some editions of the bible.  The same reason why I've taken to writing the word "bomb" as "BOMB" when referring to Atomic Weapons.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: June 29, 2015, 06:18:21 pm »

Satan is an algamation of several different figures at different points in the bible, most likely created in the heyday of the little c catholic church to better fit the human dichtomy between good and evil

Or perhaps Satan is the final boss and he's totally like a dragon but he used to be a dude and he was a snake before that and now he's totes gonna be a sick boss fight like even sicker than monsoon and maybe almost as sick as virgil but definitely below the sick level of Ganon

Or maybe
Satan is a misunderstood soul who looked to the stars and was, as a consequence, sealed in the lowest vaults of matter and time away from the stars. He was the insidious, yet loveable whisperer who told us of the advantages of knowledge.
Stannis is a cold brute of a man who acts on harsh duty. To quote (somewhat accurately, I hope) Jane Eyre, "feeling without judgement is too washy a draught...but reason without feeling is too bitter."

Or maybe Satan is like a perpetual mismaia that invades everybody and stands aside as a great scapegoat for your everyday problems because it is very hard to come to terms with the fact that everything - even the bad stuff - is a part of God's plan

or maybe or maybe or maybe

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 29, 2015, 06:22:37 pm »

Like the gods of the CTHULHU Mythos
Why the hell did you spell Cthulhu like that?

As a parody of the word "LORD" being written with small-caps like that in some editions of the bible.  The same reason why I've taken to writing the word "bomb" as "BOMB" when referring to Atomic Weapons.
Oh. That makes sense.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: June 29, 2015, 06:24:49 pm »

Satan is an algamation of several different figures at different points in the bible, most likely created in the heyday of the little c catholic church to better fit the human dichtomy between good and evil

Or perhaps Satan is the final boss and he's totally like a dragon but he used to be a dude and he was a snake before that and now he's totes gonna be a sick boss fight like even sicker than monsoon and maybe almost as sick as virgil but definitely below the sick level of Ganon

Or maybe
Satan is a misunderstood soul who looked to the stars and was, as a consequence, sealed in the lowest vaults of matter and time away from the stars. He was the insidious, yet loveable whisperer who told us of the advantages of knowledge.

Or maybe Satan is like a perpetual mismaia that invades everybody and stands aside as a great scapegoat for your everyday problems because it is very hard to come to terms with the fact that everything - even the bad stuff - is a part of God's plan

or maybe or maybe or maybe
Or, more than maybe, bordering on certainty, he does not exist.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: June 29, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »

Assuming you are right, though I don't recall any such belief being expressed, it still means he finds it acceptable in at least some contexts.

And that is horrible.
The bible does have condemnations against rape, such as in Deuteronomy 22:25 (though just before that, the same passage* says that if a woman (well, only a virgin promised to be married, and only if they're in town) is raped, but does not scream out, she is to be stoned to death along with the rapist, so...), among others. Though the cursory searching had some trouble finding any blanket condemnations... just stuff like in Deuteronomy. Old Testament's really not the most assuring of sources on the subject, and from what I understand the NT is pretty mum on it -- probably bundled the act under sexual immorality and/or adultery in general, but without much in the way of explicit statement in the face of the OT's bits, it's somewhat hard to tell.

*To say nothing of Deuteronomy 21, which...

---

But yeah, probably the biggest problem regarding the issue and the bible is that the bible's treatment of the subject is significantly more nuanced than it bloody should be (especially to anything approaching modern sensibilities regarding the act), and then there's passages like the ones I mentioned above that are just kinda' beyond the pale. The bible only sorta' says that rape is wrong, mostly excuses it under some circumstances, and has god explicitly use the act as part of its plans. It runs pretty hard into the whole "Do as I say, not as I do" thing, except even then it's not so much "As I say" as "As your best interpretation of what I say can be, while ignoring the uncomfortable bits".

Even then, that's only one category of act among many. The many acts of mass murder of children always bothered me a bit more, personally...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: June 29, 2015, 06:49:29 pm »

I heard a while back that the 'rape without screaming' thing was a safeguard against premarital sex. Makes sense if you think about it, especially since it explains the in town/out of town split.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: June 29, 2015, 06:55:58 pm »

*shrugs* Maybe? There's plenty of different attempts to explain passages like that as something less than abhorrent (though that's pretty much impossible by modern sensibilities in this case, since you're still talking capital punishment). The out-of-town thing seems just because they didn't expect someone outside the walls or whatev' to be able to be heard, so screaming or not wouldn't matter in that case.
Ask not!
Ask!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: June 29, 2015, 07:00:30 pm »

Precisely! So the non-screaming is not considered bad in and of itself, but the intent - avoiding being noticed because you're doing it like they'll do on the discovery channel in 4000 years - is.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 29, 2015, 07:16:34 pm »

... right. Except the intent on the part of the victim is often, you know, not that. And the passage makes no particular distinction, and is also fairly explicit it is the screaming they're hinging whether or not they stone the rape victim to death on.

I mean, there's other bits in that passage that are probably worse. Married women have no recourse at all, they just get stoned to death with whoever they're found in bed with, rape or not *shrugs*

E: There's also the bit where the counterpart verse explicitly involved rape, not just extramarital shenanigans. Would seem to point against that interpretation, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:32:36 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: June 29, 2015, 07:43:08 pm »

The phrase "Under God" wasn't in the original pledge. It was added later by a few people, motivated by their own denominations or something. I suppose it just caught on and government didn't want to intervene, being that a majority Christian population may have an issue with it.

Well, according to Wikipedia the person who came up with argued that it was part of American cultural heritage and pointed to Lincoln using it in the Gettysburg Address. It eventually made it in in the 1950s, most likely as a way to distinguish from the Communists. I'm hoping you knew all this though.

Sorry for spreading such misinformation, I suppose I was overconfident in that sense.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:10:14 pm by Laptisen »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: June 29, 2015, 08:24:27 pm »

I don't see any misinformation in that...  They did put their faith into the pledge of allegiance.  Their justification was to emphasize that Americans are faithful unlike those atheist commies.  Rather awkward for those of us who aren't believers, being lumped in with the reds like that.

And I think you're exactly right about why the government doesn't intervene.  I've deleted a bit of a rant - I just ate so many m&m's that I'm actually shaking - so I'll just remind everyone that the 114th Congress is 97% Judeo-Christian, versus 75% of their constituents.  And churches aren't exactly afraid of getting involved in politics...  Even though that's the original purpose of their tax-exempt status.

Gonna go walk this sugar off, wow
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: June 29, 2015, 08:32:24 pm »

I don't see any misinformation in that...  They did put their faith into the pledge of allegiance.  Their justification was to emphasize that Americans are faithful unlike those atheist commies.  Rather awkward for those of us who aren't believers, being lumped in with the reds like that.

And I think you're exactly right about why the government doesn't intervene.  I've deleted a bit of a rant - I just ate so many m&m's that I'm actually shaking - so I'll just remind everyone that the 114th Congress is 97% Judeo-Christian, versus 75% of their constituents.  And churches aren't exactly afraid of getting involved in politics...  Even though that's the original purpose of their tax-exempt status.

Gonna go walk this sugar off, wow

th-thanks

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 30, 2015, 05:48:47 pm »

Was just watching QI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSm7YPMQOSo

Wow.

Edit: Although the comments below suggest this is misinformation. Any one know?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:50:44 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 521