I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582179 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3330 on: November 09, 2015, 07:33:05 pm »

One of my biggest issues against most religions is that you must live a life of temperance and restraint so that you can go to an afterlife where all your wildest dreams come true and you live in bliss. It's like rewarding a child who ate their vegetables by shoving a cake down their throat.

I think the idea is more that heaven is just as restrained miserable but only the abberrant few who derive pleasure from this get in and they perceive it as eternal bliss
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: November 10, 2015, 04:55:10 am »

The New Testament was made with strict guidelines.

The Catholic Church included some books that were outside of those guidelines
Wee bit of a contradiction there, mate.

I think the idea is more that heaven is just as restrained miserable but only the abberrant few who derive pleasure from this get in and they perceive it as eternal bliss
You do realize that this sounds rather disrespectful, don't you?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: November 10, 2015, 05:10:39 am »

About the virgin thing, almah can mean virgin or young woman, but in hebrew culture, the two were almost synonymous.
Weak argument. There is a word that specifically means 'virgin' in then-contemporary Hebrew, bethulah. It's only arguably synonymous insofar as the fact that the two groups tended to overlap for what should be obvious reasons.

It is definitely not synonymous sensu stricte and it seems like pretty transparent post-hoc apologetics for a mistranslation to Greek that got carried over because an average convert was far more likely to be acquainted with Greek and so, Greek texts and flawed translations; and both Septuagint and Hebrew texts use almah to describe definitely-non-virgins.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: November 10, 2015, 08:49:23 am »

I wasn't aware of that. Could you please give some sources?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: November 10, 2015, 09:58:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At the very least she wasn't a virgin for long after Jesus, whichever way you look at it. Unless they're all children of the holy spirit, of course, heh. It's also possible that she'd had children before Jesus, given that there are at least four brothers mentioned, and however many sisters. That doesn't happen over night.

Edit: Removed two words that seemed to appear randomly.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:03:37 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: November 10, 2015, 12:07:24 pm »

If she had children before christ she wouldnt be described as a almah

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: November 10, 2015, 03:30:44 pm »

Either way, it challenges the Roman Catholic concept of Mary's somehow perpetual virginity. In other words, the thought that she was not only virgin when Jesus was born, but that throughout her life she was a virgin.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: November 10, 2015, 03:36:28 pm »

James was Jesus' brother. Obviously she wasn't a virgin after Jesus.

But I think that she was a virgin before with Jesus because Joseph wanted to divorce here quietly when he found out she was pregnant.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3338 on: November 10, 2015, 06:00:20 pm »

Either way, it challenges the Roman Catholic concept of Mary's somehow perpetual virginity.
Wait, where did you get the idea that's a thing?

Is that a thing?

Helgo?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: November 10, 2015, 06:07:26 pm »

Iunno, I'm not that well-versed in that sort of stuff. Seems plausible though - if you put lots and lots of dudes into celibacy and hand them only one woman to think about, they're bound to get some crazy ideas.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: November 10, 2015, 06:59:41 pm »

I've heard the same thing from others before.  If they're to be believed, there's some strange fascination with Mary's perpetual virginity to the point that some believe that she didn't even give birth to Jesus in the conventional way and that God just poofed Jesus out to avoid defiling her.

Now, I can't remember whether that author was a Catholic or Protestant, but that seems a bit far fetched to me.  I doubt too many believe anything like that.

That does sound a bit like typical Protestant dismissal of Catholic beliefs though.  Many Protestants around here anyway believe that Catholics are a bunch of crazy Mary worshipers who pray to everyone but God.

I remember asking about that in the Catholic thread long ago and the answer was somewhat unsatisfying, although I think the problem was that I find most any answer on why people should pray to be unsatisfying.

Edit: To clarify, I know Catholics don't pray to saints and Mary like they would to God or Jesus, but it is very interesting from a Protestant point of view that Catholics involve them at all.  From the Protestant Bible at least there's no reason given to do that, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:16:05 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: November 10, 2015, 07:17:00 pm »

Is it true that Protestant prayers to Jesus usually include statements somewhat along the lines of "Your mama's so ugly when she looks in the mirror her reflection throws up"  :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:31:06 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: November 10, 2015, 07:25:27 pm »

Not even remotely true.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: November 10, 2015, 07:44:31 pm »

Is it true that Protestant prayers to Jesus usually include statements somewhat along the lines of "Your mama's so ugly when she looks in the mirror her reflection throws up"  :D

Not usually.  Actually, in my experience Protestants don't even pray to Jesus directly.  They usually / always just pray straight to God and then tack on something at the end like "in Jesus's name" so as to clarify that they're asking it through Jesus.

Now, the subject matter of such prayers varies tremendously, but yo mama jokes are pretty uncommon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: November 10, 2015, 07:59:54 pm »

uuhh... no.

Mary is a very good example of faith, and is often used as the example for a godly woman. At least in my church.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 521