Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803048 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1020 on: May 04, 2015, 03:55:24 pm »

It's like something out of Redwall.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 04, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »

Question: what are the recommended spawn settings?

More to the point: I'm tempted to try wander spawns. But I dont know how well it works, whether I should put it along static or dynamic spawns, etc...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 04, 2015, 07:27:19 pm »

Honestly at this point Dynamic spawns is pretty broken, and we're considering finally striking it from the game completely not too long from now (since it's always been our intent to eventually remove it). It's basically just waiting for someone to finish up Hordes 2.0 and get it into the game. Currently I'd say Wander spawns are OK at best, and still have lots of problems with them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 05, 2015, 01:33:48 am »

It would be nice if you could get warm from moving. Maybe tie it to the stamina system?
This is going to happen.
Actually there's a rather large chunk of heat that gets generated every turn under the assumption that the player is being active, now we can track it properly and dispense with that :D
Solution: make furry power armor.

Fumo-Fumo! Fu! Fumoffu! :P
I can't believe I haven't made this connection before >_<
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 06, 2015, 07:50:48 pm »

Okay, I've got a survivor going strong on day 16, some more criticism.

Positive:  I love the new variety of weapons and craftables, this was a much needed change.  I like the greater diversity of animate corpses, I just wish that their placement in static spawns was a bit less erratic.  The new vehicle stuff is looking good so far, I'm hoping to get more deeply into that real soon here.

Negative:  Every single world I've created has a 'fuck you' feature within easy walking distance of my start location, be it a mall right across the street (and a river opposite the shelter from that) or a fungal bloom right down the road, I do not find this fun.  I really dislike the revised difficulty in learning electronics recipes, and the books for the skill/recipes are really hard to find.  When I am well armored, every hostile hit goes directly to my cranium, why?  Is it necessary for every single hostile in the game to have mystical headshot ability?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 06, 2015, 08:34:57 pm »

I used to hate fungus but I don't hate it that bad anymore, now that fungaloids are a renewable source for fluid bladders, if nothing else...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:31 am »

I agree about the enemy targetting. It's like, Zombie dog? Bites your head off while you're standing up (sloooowly). Zombie? Punches your skull in. Spinosaurus? Didn't stand a chance anyway.

And literally every world of mine becomes unplayable in days because of giant antmen near all the spawn points.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 07, 2015, 03:41:38 pm »

I agree about the enemy targetting. It's like, Zombie dog? Bites your head off while you're standing up (sloooowly). Zombie? Punches your skull in. Spinosaurus? Didn't stand a chance anyway.

And literally every world of mine becomes unplayable in days because of giant antmen near all the spawn points.
That makes me think of another issues i had lately with the game, seems 90% of hits... no matter the source were always going to the head. Being shot of long distance? head, being hit by a zombie child? head hits again... come on i imagine myself being a tad less than 6 foot yet 7yrs old zombie child can hit my face numerous time in a row o.O? And zombie dogs too gnawing head while we are standing up.

I mean ok its a game but slow down on these head hit, even tho there is 6 body *limb/section* they could potentialy like and that are much more easier to hit well... screw hit they all go for the head.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 07, 2015, 04:02:05 pm »

Rebuttal: Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 07, 2015, 06:22:00 pm »

Rebuttal: Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains.

Descan wins! Flawless victory!

I actually find chest wounds more dangerous on most characters. But that's from bullets, mostly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 07, 2015, 11:45:29 pm »

Plus head encumbrance doesn't do a thing, so you have no excuse not to armor it up.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 08, 2015, 01:01:45 am »

Just started playing this. Any tips? I can't seem to find an obvious "Beginner's Guide" on the wiki or anything.

I played the tutorial, and ended up dying when the wall failed to burn down before the floor collapsed.

Then I started a game as a police officer and died running from a mob of zombies (+1 skeleton) after being struck by lightning. Or something like that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 08, 2015, 01:06:59 am »

Take things slowly at the start. Like, approach the very edge of town until you see 1-2 zombies. Lure them towards you, kiting them onto bushes and taking a hit, then continuing to run away. Repeat until said zombies are dead. Repeat entire process until a few houses are clear. Experience !!FUN!!.

But yeah, not getting hit is very important. Like the real world getting hurt puts you into pain and slows you down, which makes it easier for you to get hit again. The end result is that it's very easy to go from "I'm in great condition, yay!" to "Oh god I'm dead!" very quickly if you start taking blows.

Also if you are playing the experimental don't forget that in most cases you can run (") to get away as a last resort.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 08, 2015, 05:07:12 am »

Just started playing this. Any tips?

Fire is your friend. The minute you see any zombies coming after you, lure them over a bush and light it on fire. If you're scared, lure them from burning bush to burning bush until they die. If you're feeling a little brave, go ahead and melee them. You might miss, but they'll burn to death either way. Carry around something flammable, like string or rags. If you have no choice, 'D'rop one on top of them and ignite it and then fight them as they stand in the fire. Don't fight any zombies that aren't standing in fire until you have good enough armor to withstand their attacks.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 08, 2015, 07:45:59 am »

Plus head encumbrance doesn't do a thing, so you have no excuse not to armor it up.

Head encumberance doesn't effect you, but eye and mouth(both, partucularly the eyes, take hits worse than the rest of the head) encumberance certainly does.

Just started playing this. Any tips?

Fire is your friend. The minute you see any zombies coming after you, lure them over a bush and light it on fire. If you're scared, lure them from burning bush to burning bush until they die. If you're feeling a little brave, go ahead and melee them. You might miss, but they'll burn to death either way. Carry around something flammable, like string or rags. If you have no choice, 'D'rop one on top of them and ignite it and then fight them as they stand in the fire. Don't fight any zombies that aren't standing in fire until you have good enough armor to withstand their attacks.

I find that a couple of points in dodge(plus dropping torso encumberance) makes zombie melee far more survivable.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 451