Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803055 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1050 on: May 08, 2015, 03:13:04 pm »

Well, as someone who has actually worked construction, building a stone wall can be fairly complex as compared to using more standardized materials.  when you make a brick wall you just stack the bricks on top of each other in an interlocking pattern, when you build a stone wall you have to select based on size, weight, and shape.  But it isn't actually that much more difficult, so maybe the skill difference is just off by a bit?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 08, 2015, 03:43:08 pm »

I'd set it at 4 or 5. Walls (not counting sandbags) start at 2 for board-and-nail, go up to 3 for logs and bricks, 4 for concrete and palisades, and hit 6 at stone and reinforced concrete.
Nothing important here, move along.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 08, 2015, 04:49:22 pm »

Dry stone walls can't be that difficult to build, given that I have lived in areas that must have had kilometers of the things by the sides of roads and fields and other places where a barrier would be nice.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1053 on: May 08, 2015, 05:51:18 pm »

I would have to assume (being as I've never bothered with more than palisades) that these stone walls are more than just decorative? (Unlike those country rock walls you're referring to)
I had also assumed they use cement binder, but apparently they're dry fit?

In that case, for them to be substantial *and* dry fit, you're basically talking about a castle perimeter wall.
I think a skill level up near rebar concrete's probably appropriate.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 08, 2015, 06:05:47 pm »

Actually, it's not terribly hard to do. Most of those 'country rock walls' aren't just for show.

Most stones used in these kinds of walls are jagged and abrasive. Most of the work is stacking stones together so they're close enough to each other to grip. They're actually really, really sturdy without requiring a lot of technology, materials, or specialized knowledge, and they're popular for that reason. You can actually make some pretty impressive structures with nothing but rocks. Before concrete, smaller bridges were often built out of nothing but stone, to the point where when concrete came around, builders would cover up the concrete with stones so people trusted that it could hold them, since there wasn't a lot of faith among the public in concrete at the time.
Nothing important here, move along.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 08, 2015, 06:57:05 pm »

Well, these aren't just fence-walls, they're also expected to be load-bearing structures, but 4-5 construction skill sounds rather reasonable for the purposes of assembling one, 6 is a bit extreme.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 08, 2015, 07:24:20 pm »

Does the morale penalty for Killed Innocent degrade? I have killed a lot of people and cannot craft.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 08, 2015, 07:42:50 pm »

Does the morale penalty for Killed Innocent degrade? I have killed a lot of people and cannot craft.

Yes, but it takes some time. I'd doing something that increase your morale, like reading one of those otherwise useless books or using drugs.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 08, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »

I had a survivor fall into  sinkhole on day 1, I gifted said survivor a jackhammer and some fuel.  16 day later and a fortuitous discovery of a previous survivor's gear later the now highly experienced miner escaped into the sunlight, only to be brutally murdered in less than an hour by a giant wasp.  Makes for a great story, but fuck what a miserable experience.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 08, 2015, 09:08:18 pm »

Hmmm observation: isn't the miniflamethrower pwer cost a bit steep, considering it's a glorified lighter?

Or is there some hidden use for this that I've not noticed?

Lighters require something burnable on the ground, like paper or rags. The CBM version doesn't need those and you can stack it into roaring flames by using it on the same square multiple times. It's basically using internal power for a no-gasoline 1-tile molotov.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 08, 2015, 10:30:03 pm »

Yep, it decreases a bit with every kill of that enemy type. Note that you have to desensitize yourself for each enemy type separately. Clearing out a school should nearly, if not fully desensitize you to zombie children.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 09, 2015, 03:13:09 pm »

Man. I always take spiritual and raid libraries for the kojiki. It's too nice not to have a +30 morale bonus from five minutes of reading.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 09, 2015, 03:46:23 pm »

I've not played since 0.8 and noticed that encumbrance is numbered differently in json (very large numbers, in tens, instead of single digits). So, I suggest that there are some changes to encumbrance system. Can someone explain those changes to me?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 09, 2015, 03:51:17 pm »

I'd like to report a bug:

Fungaloids turn zombie dogs into HUMAN fungal zombies.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 09, 2015, 04:21:24 pm »

I've not played since 0.8 and noticed that encumbrance is numbered differently in json (very large numbers, in tens, instead of single digits). So, I suggest that there are some changes to encumbrance system. Can someone explain those changes to me?

Everything was multiplied by 10 to give better granularity. If you divide by 10 and toss the remainder, you'll recover the old system, i.e. 15 new encumbrance -> 15/10 -> 1 old encumbrance.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 451