Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1484 1485 [1486] 1487 1488 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5918025 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22275 on: April 28, 2012, 08:56:12 pm »

"The dwarves of the Roof of Omens now know a few facts about Giant Cave Spider training".

The big folk caravan is here to cart off my unwanteds.

In bigger news, my years-old crosstraining program is paying off for the second time. Every dwarf who had a non-moodable skill as their main occupation was trained as a weaponsmith. A fey mooder is heading to my forge area. I have many candy wafers. He also likes lead, which I would absolutely love to get a warhammer with. Artifact lead warhammer may be the best thing in the history of ever.

Edit: He just grabbed candy for the first item. I am very happy right now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:00:24 pm by Daenyth »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22276 on: April 28, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »

Kumil Idmelbil, Dwarven Child, has created Keshaminash "The Curious Organ", a donkey bone scepter!

Yay instant legendary bone carver.

EDIT: Our broker has gotten herself in touch with some infernal ash. She is suffering from blisters EVERYWHERE. Her baby is unaffected.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:18:06 pm by Reudh »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22277 on: April 28, 2012, 09:22:37 pm »

On 28 Felsite 103, in the third year of Wordshame's (for the record, the group name is The Scholarly Creation and I will swear on the blood of Armok that both are fully the RNG's creation) existence, we finally get a goblin snatcher. I was wondering if the gobbos even existed, they didn't show up on the view [c]ivilizations screen and the first two years was nothing but kobolds. Thank god, I was worried I wouldn't have anything to shred with serrated discs.

Speaking of murder and death, this map has flux (TONS of marble, I'm not even exaggerating), but so far no native ores but gold and galena so the only iron and steel I'll get for the red carpet will be from the caravans. Goddammit. (I do have a legendary +5 stonecrafter. a 25-tile stockpile stuffed with bins of ☼mugs☼, and a ☼CLT☼ craftdorf workshop, so actually getting the iron and steel off the caravans shouldn't be difficult, but I like being self-sufficient.) Shallow and deep metals were advertised on the embark screen, but so far I've only actually seen the gold and galena so.

Oh, and the bottom of the map is only 50 z-levels below the (flat) surface, I'm kinda surprised. In a good way, though - I found a magma pool in the first cavern I hit and it's really convenient to have the forges relatively close by.

Artifacts so far:
Horse bone crossbow worth 42000☼ due to getting the dwarf who made it (secretive mood by the way, ehehehe) to use a cut gold ore for a 'cut gems' requirement.

Kapok amulet made by a kid, worth 76800☼ through, again, cheating the dorf into using gold as a gem. He also used gold as a bar. Useless save as a kobold lure.

Kapok scepter, worth 9600☼ because there was everything the dorf needed and he didn't need any metal, at least the dorf who made it was possessed this time so I don't have another pointless woodcrafter.

EDIT: Oh! I'm clearcutting the whole 3x3 embark before the gobbos come. To make sure all the wood is in a safe area, I've carpeted about half the surface bounded-in area with wood stockpiles.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:26:30 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22278 on: April 28, 2012, 09:30:56 pm »

The broker was told 'Stop whining and get back to whatever it is you do.'

She's now suffering on the Z-Health list from D! (heavy tissue damage), but there is nothing to be done. She probably looks hideous, with EVERY PART OF HER BODY BLISTERED.

Sabreheals Lake is now only accessible via the well, many metres above the floor, and hence New Sabreheals is going to be invulnerable to anything the cavern can throw at it, besides fliers.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22279 on: April 28, 2012, 09:35:14 pm »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22280 on: April 28, 2012, 09:38:23 pm »

Spoiler: *snip* (click to show/hide)

Oh dear god I hate you. How much is it worth?

(Speaking of adamantine, I know where a tube is on my map. I am going to create a checkerboard over it and then dig it out. Heeheehee...)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22281 on: April 28, 2012, 09:48:40 pm »

(Speaking of adamantine, I know where a tube is on my map. I am going to create a checkerboard over it and then dig it out. Heeheehee...)

It's worth 1588800 dorfbucks. The name is "Worshippedcradle the Burns of Ringing"

In other news, one of my mechanics was injured during a test-fire of my incomplete spike hall system for the clowns to put on their show in. I had a look at her relationships, and her husband is dead along with all of her children but two daughters. Poor lass :(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:56:39 pm by Daenyth »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22282 on: April 28, 2012, 10:02:35 pm »

It's worth 1588800 dorfbucks. The name is "Worshippedcradle the Burns of Ringing"

In other news, one of my mechanics was injured during a test-fire of my incomplete spike hall system for the clowns to put on their show in. I had a look at her relationships, and her husband is dead along with all of her children but two daughters. Poor lass :(

Oh dear god that is amazing.

In my-fort news:

-.-

Made a burrow, the titan chased a cat around while the dwarves outside fled to the safety of the fort. The cat got its head kicked in. No casualties.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22283 on: April 28, 2012, 10:23:12 pm »

Webs you say? Clearly you need to rig up some cages and make it web over them.

I had a "deadly vapors" fb enter one cavern a year or two ago. It settled under the lake when I raised my locking bridge, and it hadn't moved since. I just executed a controlled cave-in right over its head. No need to worry about vapors now. I can finally get my cavern back :)

In other news, I noticed on my kitchen screen that I had crundle eggs. I have only female crundles caught, so I'm very upset that I didn't notice sooner, since they were already stockpiled before I noticed.

Mrs. Urvad was in the hospital for 10 days, just got out and with no infections. I'm actually rather glad, all of my doctors have been skill-rusting lately.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:31:34 pm by Daenyth »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22284 on: April 28, 2012, 10:29:52 pm »

Webs you say? Clearly you need to rig up some cages and make it web over them.

Argh! I wish I'd thought of that!

Instead it got rid of the three cats dicking around outside, then a migrant wave came and it killed four of those before a hunter arrived on the map and killed it. Now I've got the loom set to collect the webbing it left behind and making coffins to hold the dead dorfs.

2nd Galena, 103: Likot Alisdegel, Dwarven Child, has begun a mysterious construction! She took two gold nuggets, two rough goshenites, two sets of mahogany logs, gold bars, some rope reed fiber cloth, and a round native gold cabochon into a craftdwarf's workshop. Considering she took the gold nuggets first, I'm expecting either a metalcrafter or a stonecrafter. Either way, secretive mood for the WIN.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:58:55 pm by Lielac »

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #22285 on: April 28, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »

Weaponizing Husks. Or at least, trying to.
I LOST THE GAME

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22286 on: April 28, 2012, 11:39:46 pm »

My militants and civilians are getting pissy because their clothes are wearing out. I absolutely hate hate HATE this new clothing need 'feature'.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22287 on: April 29, 2012, 12:34:44 am »

Dwarf Fortress crashed almost immediately after Likot made her artifact.  :'( I'm back at 1st Hematite, before the Titan. I think I'll hook up some cage traps after all... :D

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22288 on: April 29, 2012, 12:37:30 am »

Working on something that will hopefully be fun to share.

What would you guys say to a fortress within a large spire of rock, held by bridges within an empty chasm with bedrooms, farms and workshops all in place, along with automated running magma, water, and mechanical power?

The kicker is, it requires a regular dwarf sacrifice.  If a dwarf isn't sacrificed via the appropriate in-fort mechanism regularly (trying to set to roughly once a year or so), the whole fort self-destructs.  There is a kind-of counter in the dining hall so you can see how close the fort is to setting off the kill-switch and destroying itself. 

The support systems are all closed-off as a kind of 'black box' affair (shared as a reclaim with them closed off so they'd be invisible), and rigged so if any nosy overseer goes poking for them, it'll trip the kill switch.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22289 on: April 29, 2012, 12:55:35 am »

Working on something that will hopefully be fun to share.

What would you guys say to a fortress within a large spire of rock, held by bridges within an empty chasm with bedrooms, farms and workshops all in place, along with automated running magma, water, and mechanical power?

The kicker is, it requires a regular dwarf sacrifice.  If a dwarf isn't sacrificed via the appropriate in-fort mechanism regularly (trying to set to roughly once a year or so), the whole fort self-destructs.  There is a kind-of counter in the dining hall so you can see how close the fort is to setting off the kill-switch and destroying itself. 

The support systems are all closed-off as a kind of 'black box' affair (shared as a reclaim with them closed off so they'd be invisible), and rigged so if any nosy overseer goes poking for them, it'll trip the kill switch.

Hell. Fucking. YES.  I'd want a save once the whole monstrous thing is established, so I can poke things.

In Wordshame news, I completely forgot that I have sand, and therefore that I can make serrated discs just fine even without metal. Oops.

16th Hematite, 103: H'llo Inen Zenonfikuk D- you know what fuck that. Hi tundra titan! Hope you don't mind if I slam the gate in your face!

Something amusing I'd like to note: The tundra titan really likes killing people by kicking them in the head. He tends to one-shot them too, jamming the skull through the brain and all that. I'm going to see if I can keep him this time.

Haaaang on, webbed cage traps won't catch a web-spinning titan. Time to rig up a controlled cave in to solve that little problem!

... Cave-in dust will allow any creature to be caught by a cage trap, right? I do have a double-bridge airlock system for my entrance just in case, but I'd prefer to know whether this'll work before I punch a hole in my brook.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:26:42 am by Lielac »

Pages: 1 ... 1484 1485 [1486] 1487 1488 ... 3838