Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1485 1486 [1487] 1488 1489 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5930784 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22290 on: April 29, 2012, 02:00:10 am »

Our broker Dodok has taken a turn for the worse. The blistering has spread, and she is now Winded, Vision Lost, Grasp Lost and Stand Lost.

[EDIT]: She just suffocated. :(

Blistered lungs and brain...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22291 on: April 29, 2012, 03:26:07 am »

So I've lost some of a couple migrant waves to the tundra titan, all of the human caravan, and then the dwarven caravan comes along. "Oshit," says I, "they're gonna get slaughtered."

Not so. Okay, a macedwarf got his head kicked in, but an axedwarf and a swordsdwarf then proceed to jump on Inen (whose full name actually translates to Inen Viperfield the Boar-Fern of Forests) from behind and have been hacking away at him for 35 pages so far. He's pale, everything is red, and I don't think he's long for this world. He's spat out enough webbing that I should have some wonderful silk thread to make into clothing, though... :D

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22292 on: April 29, 2012, 03:41:13 am »

Siege arrived, migrants arrived. All migrants were drafted. No point getting anyone from New Sabreheals injured. I positioned the migrants in an area where the infernal ash seems to cluster, and the goblins promptly came toward them. The migrants were slaughtered but managed to kill two goblins.

I'm now turtling, awaiting an infernal ash cloud to explodify the siege.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22293 on: April 29, 2012, 04:06:12 am »

Hey guys, want to know what my new least favorite cancel message is?

Urist McBlindbumbler cancels [job]: Webbed.

One! What a fking waste of webs. Two! SO MUCH CANCEL SPAM FROM THIS

Inen's dead, though, and I've successfully traded with the dwarven caravan. Oh and someone's hauling Inen's mangled bloody corpse to the corpse pile, I hope the butcher will jump on it after that because considering how slow the hauler is that corpse is one giant heap of pre-tenderized meat.

Yeeeaaah, Inen weighs 10134... Would probably weigh more if his blood wasn't in a puddle on the edge of the embark XD
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:12:00 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22294 on: April 29, 2012, 04:20:37 am »

We had one crappy winter.

The dorf caravan packed up its goods and left, and the masons got to work building a perimeter wall as our ouermost defense.   There is a 3-tile wide bridge theat will be opened for wagons, otherwise it is kept shut, and the only way into the fort is a 1-tile wide space that has a cage trap.  This cage already caught a snatcher trying to sneak in.  Goblin bastards.  This perimeter defense will be expanded to have walls and cages set up to capture wildlife for training and to break up seiges.

Speaking of which, winter came and went without a vile force of darkness rearing its ugly head.  The boys and girls in my fort cried with the coming of spring as they realized Goblin Claus would not be bringing Goblin Christmas this year, with presents and joy (from slaughter) for all.  Also, my prisoner stock is running low and my army needs ... training.

I was looing forward to a seige to test out my evolving defenses.  Oh well, I think I'll go breach a cavern instead.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22295 on: April 29, 2012, 04:32:52 am »

:o

Inen Viperfield, once butchered (oh, and I profession'd the dorf who did that, some lucky novice butcher, as 'Inen's Butcher'), gave me 326 pieces of food. Never has a titan ever been so delicious.

It would appear that my mayor is also my glassmaker, which would explain the lack of a diplomat screen. Neato. Oh, and he's been intermittently masterpiece spamming me, I think they've been getting more frequent... Hahahaaa, he's a High Master Glassmaker sweet. Bring on the serrated discs!!

« Reply #22296 on: April 29, 2012, 05:18:29 am »

An acid breathing Wyvern just attacked my Legendary Trader while he was outside taking a stroll. The dwarf ran like hell and got away, and only 1 of the 5 militia members I have died fighting it off.

In other news at Godenor, I was attempting to construct a water basin to have a source of water during the winter since all the water sources in the area freeze completely here even though it's a hot weather zone. Basically what I did was dig a tunnel that was 2 spaces away from the damp stone surrounding the body of water top side, dug down several floors and created a tiered basin by mining out a 6x6 room, and then making 2 rows of 2x6 channels with a 1x6 ramp so you get this nice little pool, then had them break open a hole above the water (while the water was frozen) then waited for spring to arrive.

Works like a charm as an emergency water source, but it seems to also double as an amazing water slide. I am constantly seeing my dwarves go into the water, falling down the hole, landing in the pool and taking the stairs back up to do it again XD

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22297 on: April 29, 2012, 05:55:36 am »

The Rustic RabbitHut

06) Spring Growing - Part 3
07) Acceleration is Easy at Low Speeds

Still mining my Migrant Tubes. Having to go under these murky pools is such a drain.
I get "Damp Stone Located" a zillion times.

I'm able to get the floodgate controls setup, but I can't actually mine-open the tubes.
Sparrow-Man-Corpses are hovering above the tube entrances. Finishing the tubes would be like inviting a Circus.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The miners celebrate the 99% completion of the tubes by taking a nap.
One passes-out right on the floor, the other actually makes it to a cot.

Then the miners get thirsty. I'm outta booze.

I don't plan for this to be like my last hut. That hut saw swarmes of dwarves heading to the brook.
This time, I have plants growing right now and a still is ready, so I don't expect many people to need a drink.

A trio of Louse-Man-Corpses are now outside. They are walking slow and far away.
I tell the miners to open the hut to get a drink from the brook.

One miner even tried to go finish a migrant tube before a drink, but I told him "Nah, go drink first".
After drinking from the (still fresh) brook, both miners are happy to finish the migrant tubes.
And when the re-enter the fort, 2 of my militia go out to drink water too.

Not so bad. The corpses are still far away.
My first Plump Helmet is available

See, no more booze shortage.
Now we can drink like frogs !
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:34:59 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22298 on: April 29, 2012, 06:30:32 am »

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Oh, the infernal ash works to my favour!
An axegoblin squad huddled together and were swallowed by a cloud of infernal ash.
All goblins died BEFORE THE CLOUD CLEARED THEIR BODIES.

How efficacious this ash was. That broke the siege.

In other news, a baby suffocated, presumably from slight contact with some ash. I think it was the baby of our broker Dodok.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22299 on: April 29, 2012, 06:44:11 am »

I think Inen was the Tundra Titan the age was named after.

Anyway, it's 1st Granite, 104. Wordshame has 107 dwarves and is engraving the first of its noble quarters in anticipation of being named a barony sometime soonish. I might also dig out mayor's quarters if I'm feeling generous. (HAAAAhahahahahaaaa actually yeah I probably will just to stop the complaining)

Goblin snatchers are coming more often now. Ambushes imminent.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22300 on: April 29, 2012, 06:53:25 am »

I can confirm the baby that suffocated was indeed Dodok's child. :(

A child tantrumed and punched an armorer. The armorer didn't bat an eye and continued on his daily business. I checked the child's relatives list and I found out why he tantrumed:

His aunt is dead.
His mother is dead.
His only sister is dead.
His father is dead.

Also, he's the uncle of my militia commander. :P

EDIT: Lolor, a brewer, and an O7, has come down with the infernal ash sickness.

EDIT2: Our mayor was found draining a child of blood. Fifty hammerstrikes ought to smack him up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:07:26 am by Reudh »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22301 on: April 29, 2012, 07:08:52 am »

Inen's dead, though, and I've successfully traded with the dwarven caravan. Oh and someone's hauling Inen's mangled bloody corpse to the corpse pile, I hope the butcher will jump on it after that because considering how slow the hauler is that corpse is one giant heap of pre-tenderized meat.

Yeeeaaah, Inen weighs 10134... Would probably weigh more if his blood wasn't in a puddle on the edge of the embark XD

just an idea, forbid all his webs and unforbid them in a way that makes the web collectors go to the closest web instead of one in a random place and walking through a dozen webs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22302 on: April 29, 2012, 07:24:09 am »

just an idea, forbid all his webs and unforbid them in a way that makes the web collectors go to the closest web instead of one in a random place and walking through a dozen webs

Funnily enough, it wasn't the weavers who kept walking into them; it was instead the multitude of haulers and the woodcutters that would blindly walk into them while chopping down trees or gathering the wood. Anyway the webs are all collected now, so that's a nonissue now.

Guess who just recommended a dwarf for baroness? That's right, meee! Oh and I got a migrant on 1st Slate 104, I'm now up to 121 dwarves and a trader dicking around on the edge of the map and clogging up my migrant pipes oh well.

(Barony. Barony. BARON-EEEEEEEEEE~ this fort is going so well who wants to bet I'm going to die horribly)

EDIT:

One dwarf stuck outside, but the goblins appear distracted by the trader on the other side of the map so I might manage to play the switch-a-roo to get the idiot weaver back inside once they're not camped outside my front gate anymore.

The trader got involuntarily squished to a fine pastenobly sacrificed himself to buy the weaver time to escape to the safety of the fort. No other casualties. Whoo!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:13:04 am by Lielac »

« Reply #22303 on: April 29, 2012, 09:09:49 am »

Worst. Start. Ever.

After Godenor fell to a siege of Beastmen, I decided to remove Genesis Mod (I was actually using it for Adventure mode) and start over.

Gen the world, start the game, look around for a good spot to break ground and decide it's best to just start digging down right by the wagon. I did two tiles and end up breaking into an unstable cave, which collapses the ground beneath my wagon, sending the wagon and all 7 starting dwarves to their deaths.

SO MUCH FUN

:(

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22304 on: April 29, 2012, 09:54:14 am »

The race of half trolls I modded in, which arn't really half trolls at all.... Because i didn't reduce their size at all... Have besieged me! In great numbers! Had to raise the bridge, got skilled military but little armor and bad weapons.

Pages: 1 ... 1485 1486 [1487] 1488 1489 ... 3838