Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3286 3287 [3288] 3289 3290 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5941901 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49305 on: January 21, 2017, 12:06:48 am »

Explain? Merciful spirit? I don't understand.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49306 on: January 21, 2017, 03:08:16 am »

It's not greed that's the problem, it's generosity. Specifically, the generosity of tavern keepers. In my better-run forts, I tend to lose more dwarves to overzealous tavern keepers than to any other single cause.

It doesn't help that the effects of alcohol are so long lasting. In fact, dwarves can reach Dehydrated state and possibly die from thirst before the inebriation from their last alcoholic drink wears out. Don't ask how I know this.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49307 on: January 21, 2017, 05:06:30 am »

Weaponssmith mooded. Woo. Would actually have prefered carpenter/armorer or most things other than bonecarver, as I already have a weaponsmith working at excellent/masterwork level, but still nice to have whatever they make.

Have fun with your silver spear.
I forbade everything except platinum and steel, in the hope of having a 1/2 chance of a worthwhile weapon.

Nope, he somehow decides it's gotta be copper. And it's a crossbow anyway.
That is surprisingly un-terrible.
One wheel short of a wagon

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49308 on: January 21, 2017, 07:10:28 am »

It is the fact a kind a merciful spirit figured the best way to save the world was with toxic substances.

The world in the question must be a terrible and unholy stain that must be purified by cleansing touch of the forgotten beast's dust fine and dandy place.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49309 on: January 21, 2017, 10:42:48 am »

It is the fact a kind a merciful spirit figured the best way to save the world was with toxic substances.

The world in the question must be a terrible and unholy stain that must be purified by cleansing touch of the forgotten beast's dust fine and dandy place.

BUT WHATS A MERCIFUL SPIRIT IS IT A GHOST OR SOMETHING CAN GHOSTS WRITE BOOKS

My game giveaway

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49310 on: January 21, 2017, 11:26:47 am »

BUT WHATS A MERCIFUL SPIRIT IS IT A GHOST OR SOMETHING CAN GHOSTS WRITE BOOKS

'Spirit' can refer to a still-living still-embodied person in the English language.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49311 on: January 21, 2017, 11:52:05 am »

But doesn't books usually list the names of authors? What does 'a merciful spirit' mean in this context? How does one become a merciful spirit in DF?

My game giveaway

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49312 on: January 21, 2017, 11:56:09 am »

But doesn't books usually list the names of authors? What does 'a merciful spirit' mean in this context? How does one become a merciful spirit in DF?

Gee, must be a mystery.

Better than having one of the best books in your library be this.

"This is a bismuthinite-bound codex.
The written portion consists of a 126 page manual entitled Can Toxic Substances Save The World? , authored by Nepe Humidwalls. It concerns the classification of toxic substances. The writing could only have been produced by a merciful spirit . Overall, the prose is splendid."

The written portion consists of a 126 page manual entitled Can Toxic Substances Save The World? , authored by Nepe Humidwalls.

authored by Nepe Humidwalls.

N͚̮͕͝e͉̘͉̮̗̝̱p̱͔e̲̹̞ H̫͔̠̗̦̕u̹͚̮̙̰ͅm̤̩͍̫͉̟͘i̺̳͇ͅd͙̳͍͎͉͜w̵̺͙̹͕̫a̜͎̳̹l͉̘̘͈l͎̹͎s̢̹̮̠̮͇.͍̯̘̜͡
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49313 on: January 21, 2017, 12:49:54 pm »

I have to ask: how did you do that final text effect (beyond reddening)? It's really cool.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49314 on: January 21, 2017, 01:03:31 pm »

Ye olde zalgo-ifying text generators. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49315 on: January 21, 2017, 02:28:10 pm »

It was the end of summer for my dwarfs, and I was looking forward to the dwarf caravan in a few days, especially since it would be bringing a long-awaited shipment of bauxite. Then an ettin showed up and mangled some fisherdwarfs. I hadn’t bothered to set up a military, or even traps, and I absolutely had to get rid of this ettin before it scared off the caravan, but how?

I hadn’t installed traps yet, but I’d prepared a trap hallway next to the main entrance, so I started cranking out mechanisms and loading up some weapon traps. Then I remembered how effective a cage trap would be, and chucked one in.

Now, how to get the ettin in there? I tried opening the drawbridges to make the trap hallway accessible, but the ettin wasn’t interested. Then I unforbid the dead dwarfs’ stuff, and a flood of eager dwarfs rushed out for the ritual gathering of the socks. That got the ettin’s attention, but once I told the dwarfs to get back inside, it didn’t follow them. It just sat there, right on top of the entrance drawbridge.

Right... on top... of the bridge... aha!

PULL THE LEVER!

The ettin survived, but now that it was locked inside the fort, it walked right into the cage trap. Success! The dwarf caravan arrived and began unloading goods shortly after. Bauxite for everyone!

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49316 on: January 21, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »

It was the end of summer for my dwarfs, and I was looking forward to the dwarf caravan in a few days, especially since it would be bringing a long-awaited shipment of bauxite. Then an ettin showed up and mangled some fisherdwarfs. I hadn’t bothered to set up a military, or even traps, and I absolutely had to get rid of this ettin before it scared off the caravan, but how?

I hadn’t installed traps yet, but I’d prepared a trap hallway next to the main entrance, so I started cranking out mechanisms and loading up some weapon traps. Then I remembered how effective a cage trap would be, and chucked one in.

Now, how to get the ettin in there? I tried opening the drawbridges to make the trap hallway accessible, but the ettin wasn’t interested. Then I unforbid the dead dwarfs’ stuff, and a flood of eager dwarfs rushed out for the ritual gathering of the socks. That got the ettin’s attention, but once I told the dwarfs to get back inside, it didn’t follow them. It just sat there, right on top of the entrance drawbridge.

Right... on top... of the bridge... aha!

PULL THE LEVER!

The ettin survived, but now that it was locked inside the fort, it walked right into the cage trap. Success! The dwarf caravan arrived and began unloading goods shortly after. Bauxite for everyone!

So, what are you going to do with your ettin pet? Fortress decoration? Gladiatorial combat once you've got a military? Zany experimentation involving werebeasts? Ceremonial magma offering?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49317 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:26 pm »

Are cyclopses just pushovers? I just had a war tiger and five wardogs rip one apart before my militia could reach it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49318 on: January 21, 2017, 04:15:34 pm »

Are cyclopses just pushovers? I just had a war tiger and five wardogs rip one apart before my militia could reach it.

I believe it depends on how much combat a particular one has seen in its lifetime.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49319 on: January 21, 2017, 04:33:20 pm »

Ettins also have the benefit of two heads. I had one get crippled right in my trap hall. Took a long while since an iron sword to the head won't kill it right away.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"
Pages: 1 ... 3286 3287 [3288] 3289 3290 ... 3838