Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845533 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1545 on: January 31, 2016, 12:42:35 pm »

Actually, it makes you wonder. If the locked gauntlet is so cheap and easy to make, why does anyone at all in most D&D settings have sub-par replacement hands/arms? Seems like they could make pretty good prostheses purely with smithcraft and mechanics, never mind magical stuff.
Well, a gauntlet still needs a hand in it.

Mainly, I imagine it's difficult to afford for the common man. The pay for a menial worker is given at 1sp a day.
So 80 days of labour to earn the price of a locked gauntlet. Of course, that's not discounting food costs, or rent. A loaf of bread is 2cp, so that alone is a fifth of their wages. Or including any more costs for adapting it to use for a stump, since it was designed for whole arms.

If they're in a village, they may not have access to a blacksmith who can make it, since they'd have little experience making things beyond nails and horseshoes. Adventurers have plenty of gold, yes, but they're the exception rather than the rule. When you're very poor, it's difficult to stop being very poor, since you can't afford to improve your situation. If a miner loses his hand, he won't have many savings, and he won't have any more pay coming in to afford a fancy new hand.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: January 31, 2016, 12:52:44 pm »

22.) Gripping Gloves: These gloves provide a +1 resistance bonus to avoid being disarmed (faint transmutation; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, stick or resinous tar or mage hand; Price <100 gp)

Ok, revised version

22.) Gripping Gloves: These gloves provide a +1 resistance bonus to avoid being disarmed and to any fortitude or reflex save to avoid dropping an item and have a 50% chance to add +1 to any climb check involving the user's hands (faint transmutation; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, stick or resinous tar or mage hand or spider climb; Price = cost of substrate gauntlet + 8 gp )
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:37 pm »

22.) Gripping Gloves: These gloves provide a +1 resistance bonus to avoid being disarmed (faint transmutation; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, stick or resinous tar or mage hand; Price <100 gp)

Ok, revised version

22.) Gripping Gloves: These gloves provide a +1 resistance bonus to avoid being disarmed and to any fortitude or reflex save to avoid dropping an item and have a 50% chance to add +1 to any climb check involving the user's hands (faint transmutation; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, stick or resinous tar or mage hand or spider climb; Price = cost of substrate gauntlet + 8 gp )
I'd just say they add +1 to climb checks, rather than making it a 50% chance. That seems a little odd. It's not a huge bonus by any means.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: January 31, 2016, 01:31:26 pm »

For the price it's not bad. Standard masterwork item gives +2 bonus for 50 gold, so, +.5 for eight gold is pretty good on top of the minor disarm thing, also it's apparently an untyped bonus, so, double bonus.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: January 31, 2016, 02:06:56 pm »

For the price it's not bad. Standard masterwork item gives +2 bonus for 50 gold, so, +.5 for eight gold is pretty good on top of the minor disarm thing, also it's apparently an untyped bonus, so, double bonus.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out what kind of bonus to make it, so I made it a very very small untyped bonus

EDIT:
It was down to either Enhancement or Equipment, which seemed to fit best, or else Resistance to remain consistent witn the other effect of the gloves
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:49:09 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: February 01, 2016, 04:32:04 pm »

So I was creating a TON of Living spells

I kind of hit a snag as I realized they actually increased in damage WAY WAY faster then they increased in HP (I might redo them and give them a update... maybe Con = 10 + Circlex2)

---

Also what are you doing 5e?

You have ONE Monster Manual... you have four adventure paths soon to be 5 (Might have miscounted) and they are ALL for levels up to 10. Of those only ONE had substantial monsters of their own.

You actually have more hypothetical stat blocks for creatures you don't even fight in the adventure path (sort of) which is awesome if you got to level 20... ohh wait :P

Seriously 5e two things
1) Higher level adventure paths
2) MAGIC ITEMS DANG IT!!!
3) Monster Manual 2

As Immaterial said they want everyone to play the adventures they tell them to and no one to make up their own stuff

Any additional material hurts this cause

Just started running a D&D 5e game.  All new players...except for one experienced player who decided to play a Chaotic Neutral barbarian.  ::) 
is this bad?

He said it's a 5e game, so yeah.

5e is a lot of fun, actually.  It's better than 4 (not hard) and the current version of 3.5, which is incredibly complex and full of niche cheese builds.

Having the only experienced player be a CN barbarian makes it really hard to keep them from taking over the table.   It's an archetype that lends itself to whatever the player wants to do, whenever they want to do it, and they're using that to run roughshod over all the other players whenever they get mildly bored or don't like the party decisions.   

So far:
1) Charged into the enemy while party was planning an ambush
2) Stole stuff from another party member ETA: This may have been taunting another player until they threw the item at the barbarian to shut them up? Either way: no-good childishness
3) Deliberately drew enemy attention while party was scouting
4) Initiated combat against a party member
5) Talked over fellow players so much that I used a fumble to remove the character from the action so other players could actually roleplay
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:25:42 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: February 01, 2016, 04:34:00 pm »

Oh wow.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: February 01, 2016, 04:37:21 pm »

Yeah... seriously, fuck That Guy.
Chaotic Neutral *can* be played interestingly of course, and even Chaotic Evil doesn't *necessarily* break the party.  Every bard is chaotic, and most bards are supportive team players by nature.  But people so often use it as an excuse.  To be fair That Guy is also likely to be a LG paladin.

Paladins of slaughter are a great NPC concept but if a player tries to roll one... pffff.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: February 01, 2016, 05:07:38 pm »

The worst part! The LG paladin thinks the CN barbarian is funny.  Aaarrrrgh.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: February 01, 2016, 05:08:34 pm »

Oh Armok why.

...I guess that actually answers my question.

Must be a paladin of Armok.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: February 01, 2016, 05:10:18 pm »

or a paladin of not knowing a bad character
Black lives matter.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »

Well, assuming he has the Paladin Selective Perception Field (mandatory for any paladin working with typical adventurers) turned up high enough to filter out the barbarian's transgressions, what little filters through might seem like high comedy.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: February 01, 2016, 05:14:50 pm »

Well, assuming he has the Paladin Selective Perception Field (mandatory for any paladin working with typical adventurers) turned up high enough to filter out the barbarian's transgressions, what little filters through might seem like high comedy.

She's simply a brand new player who's too excited to have found a non-skeevy gaming group to question things too much (context: only the CN barbarian is male, every one else is female).

or a paladin of not knowing a bad character

I think it's this, basically.  Every one besides the CN barbarian is brand new, so they aren't recognizing what's going on or how to deal with it. 

We'll just have to see how it goes.  I just wish we were playing RuneQuest. It's a lot harder to play CN in that system because the combat system is a lot less forgiving of stupidity, randomness and suicidal charges.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:23:04 pm by Ghills »
To summarize:

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: February 01, 2016, 05:17:46 pm »

Okay, that actually makes a lot of sense.  Even if she wasn't new.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: February 02, 2016, 03:27:37 am »

Ok, here's something I've been thinkong about. I think that it would make sense for populations of the longer-lived races to be heavily skewed toward the more highly trained NPC classes - ie. Adept, Expert, and Magewright - and to have very few commoners. They have, after all, more time to learn trades than many humans live, if after all that time they're just turning out commoners that just makes them seem stupid.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 623