Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848860 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1275 on: January 19, 2016, 11:29:24 pm »

31) You find a room with some sort of large metal box with blinking lights and tiny levers which fills up half the room from floor to ceiling. A scroll endlessly spools out of a slot at about shoulder height at various intervals.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 19, 2016, 11:54:29 pm »

32 ) With a low groaning sound, a disembodied hand descends from the ceiling and attempts to grab one of the party members. If it grabs someone, the rest of the party has a single combat turn to kill the creature (it is not very tough) or it and the trapped character will return to the entrance of the dungeon (the character taking a small amount of damage in the process). If the hand fails to grab someone, it returns to the shadows unless killed, at which point it is gone forever.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 20, 2016, 12:14:16 am »

33.) With a low growling sound, a shirtless ogre descends from the darkness and attempts to grab one of the party members. If he grabs someone, the rest of the party has as many combat turns to kill the ogre as they wish (he is not very aggressive) or he and the trapped character will be trapped in an endless bear hug  (the character taking a small amount of damage in the process. He tries, oh so hard, to be gentle.) If the ogre fails to grab someone, he politely requests a consented hug from someone unless killed, at which point he is gone forever. You monster.
Black lives matter.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 20, 2016, 12:24:13 am »

34.) Surprise Drow Beach Party at the underground lake!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 20, 2016, 12:25:13 am »

35.)You're invited.
35a.)It's actually not a trap.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 20, 2016, 12:56:55 am »

36) You come across a large wall-sized mirror, big enough to see your whole party in at once. Suddenly, you notice that one or more of your party member(s) is missing, but their image is still reflected by the mirror.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 20, 2016, 02:05:50 am »

36) You come across a large wall-sized mirror, big enough to see your whole party in at once. Suddenly, you notice that one or more of your party member(s) is missing, but their image is still reflected by the mirror.

Like a reverse-vampire...

anyway

37.) container-on-a-string-swinging-down-from-the-ceiling-based traps a la Home Alone
38.) Portal in the back of a wardrobe leads to another wardrobe in the same building
39.) stone wall is camoflaged earth elemental

Jokes are fun.  Taking a good idea and running with it is fun.  Combining the two is hilarious but also a massive derail, please remain on topic.
Generating random encounters is off-topic?

Ot is when the theme is of a sort where it's difficult to tell whether it's overly vague or overly specific but the question is moot because half the answers fall outside of it anyway.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:10:42 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 20, 2016, 02:46:46 am »

40. You hear yipping voices ahead. Turning the corner, you spot a half dozen kobolds trying to push a giant stone boulder up a ramp to reload a trap. It appears they are helpless to defend themselves, as letting go of the boulder would surely kill them.
41. There's a hole in the wall as wide as your fist that goes back almost as far as you can reach. You can faintly see the shape of a handle at the very end, but you'd likely have to reach in up to your shoulder to grab it.
42. The floor of this room is covered in black sand, and the air is heavy with the smell of iron and blood.
43. The walls of this room are scrawled with graffiti. [If a character can read Goblin] It would appear goblins once lived here, and one of them left a poem behind:
There once was a smart goblin thief,
Who liked to cause farmers much grief,
To their cows he would run,
Cut their legs off for fun,
And say "Look! Me invented ground beef!"

44. A trio of gnomes, two of them hauling a large treasure chest between them, stand at an intersection while the third one tries to read a map.
45. You see a large barrel clearly labelled "WARNING: NOT BEER"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 20, 2016, 07:15:30 am »

So I was creating a TON of Living spells

I kind of hit a snag as I realized they actually increased in damage WAY WAY faster then they increased in HP (I might redo them and give them a update... maybe Con = 10 + Circlex2)

---

Also what are you doing 5e?

You have ONE Monster Manual... you have four adventure paths soon to be 5 (Might have miscounted) and they are ALL for levels up to 10. Of those only ONE had substantial monsters of their own.

You actually have more hypothetical stat blocks for creatures you don't even fight in the adventure path (sort of) which is awesome if you got to level 20... ohh wait :P

Seriously 5e two things
1) Higher level adventure paths
2) MAGIC ITEMS DANG IT!!!
3) Monster Manual 2

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 20, 2016, 07:27:54 am »

Can't comment on the adventure paths, but there are plenty of magic items in the DMG - about 75-100 pages iirc.

On the monster manuals, it's somewhat lacking on higher level monsters, but 5e is very much a low powered game I feel, and with bounded accuracy and a touch of Tucker's kobolds you can still make challenging encounters fairly easily.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 20, 2016, 07:46:23 am »

Can't comment on the adventure paths, but there are plenty of magic items in the DMG - about 75-100 pages iirc.

On the monster manuals, it's somewhat lacking on higher level monsters, but 5e is very much a low powered game I feel, and with bounded accuracy and a touch of Tucker's kobolds you can still make challenging encounters fairly easily.

Well Monsters rarely become outdated.

Even with a level 20 party a CR 1 monster can actually manage to be a decent minion.

Unlike... say... Pathfinder, 3.5... where the PCs just hit a armor cap or a hit chance gap.

---

For stupidity sake here is my monster.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:03:21 am by Neonivek »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 20, 2016, 10:58:37 am »

Seriously 5e two things
1) Higher level adventure paths
2) MAGIC ITEMS DANG IT!!!
3) Monster Manual 2
A. We must have different definitions of the number 2.
B. Out of the Abyss was to 15, Tyranny of Dragons was to 15, and Princes of the Apocalypse was to 15. And that is a problem. I've been running Tyranny of Dragons on these very forums for almost an entire year, and I'm still only on chapter 3 out of 17. At this rate, I'm going to be playing it for another five years. An adventure that goes from 1 to 20? You've got to be kidding me. And an adventure from 15 to 20 raises a lot of questions about character creation.
C. What kind of magic items are you looking for? Check out this page for some homebrew items.
D. Yeah, a MM2 would be cool, but I find that any MM after the first one starts to have some weird and silly stuff.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 20, 2016, 11:24:01 am »

Just started running a D&D 5e game.  All new players...except for one experienced player who decided to play a Chaotic Neutral barbarian.  ::) 
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 20, 2016, 11:53:56 am »

According to this, WOTC has no interest in releasing product unless it has a story to tell (No MM2?!). Gone are the days where it were bound by the requirement to release a book (or more) a month. This is partly driven by business realities; partly driven by knowledge of facts gained through surveys and face-to-face discussion at conventions. They’ve found there is a limit to how much material people can absorb. After a while, the material they release has no value and is no longer serving anybody. A lot of 3rd and 4th edition products were bought and never used or used very little.
“We don’t sell products so that 5% of our audience can use 5% of it. We’re now trying to sell products that 100% of our audience might use and they’ll use all of it.”
This improves the perceived value of D&D, and creates more shared experiences, the way that everyone knows Tomb of Horrors. The goal is to create stories that (hopefully) years from now people can remember.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:02 am »

I don't like it. I'm against it.

Doesn't matter for me though since I long ago decided I'm never buying anything from WoTC (or possibly even Hasboro in general) again
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 623