Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845514 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #4785 on: December 11, 2017, 07:17:55 pm »

It's a template in the fiend folio, got in hand right now, it's on page 92.

I'm pretty sure the fiend folio wasn't released under ogl, so naughty website probably. But there's a lot of stuff around marked as "homebrew" to avoid getting hammered down I guess.

"Home decantered"
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: December 12, 2017, 06:25:57 am »

Got a question for the hive-mind tabletop players here: How badly as a player could you break a game if you were given a box that summons a humanoid creature on command?

Basically, I'm thinking of adding a Mr Meeseeks box to my Pathfinder game, but I wanna anticipate how badly things could go wrong beforehand.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: December 12, 2017, 06:35:27 am »

The whole point of giving people a Mr. Meeseeks box is to gleefully break the game, with the side effect that the GM is gonna be gleefully breaking it right back against them.

If it works exactly like its inspiration, that doesn't sound to me like a super exploitable humanoid on his own. Kind of like a way less powerful version of a genie, probably some kind of NPC expert with skill ranks in Profession (all). In which case you could probably outsource your crafting to them and do stuff like that, but not something more outlandish than what a wizard can do anyway. The main breaking avenues seem to be having the humanoid summon his own humanoids, but that's just the players handing an opportunity to you as a GM.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: December 12, 2017, 08:57:36 am »

I was thinking of giving the Mr Meeseeks the stats of a sentient wax golem. On summoning it gains Int 10, 8 skill ranks, and two feats (usually skill focus feats), with skills determined by the task it was summoned to perform. Thus a Mr Meeseeks summoned to assist a Craft check would have a +7 bonus from 4 ranks and a skill focus feat. It would function in all other ways as the Unseen Servant spell, unable to attack or take any offensive actions in combat.

For the backfire risk, I'd thought I'd add a 1% cumulative chance every hour after summoning one that it goes berserk unless it's fulfilled the request it was summoned to perform, gaining the benefits of a barbarian's rage, regeneration 5 that cannot be removed, and an uncontrollable desire to kill it's summoner, after which it disappears. Thus, summoning one for a day would have a 24% chance of mental break.

If you summon more than one at a time, I'd figured their chance of going berserk stacks, so having ten active means a cumulative 10% chance of them going berserk after one hour, or 100% chance after 10 hours.

Edit: Also, this.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:03:03 am by Jimmy »

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: December 12, 2017, 10:00:25 am »

why not have it so you have to pay to use the box, something like you need to put x amount of wax before you can summon the wax golem. why not have it so every time the wax golem is summoned the price changes (roll a d20 for the next price, so a 1 will cost 1 once of wax and a 20 will cost 20 ounces of wax).
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: December 19, 2017, 11:04:15 am »

So, I wondered, "What is faster in 5E Dnd, a wood-elf mystic, or an aarakocra monk?".
I have found the answer to that question.
The answer is... It depends.
The answer depends on the situation. However, in an optimum situation (including magic items) for both of them, and in a single round, the mystic moves 1080 feet, while the monk moves 480 feet. And that is without allowing multi-classing, or taking a bonus action as a regular action.

Related, can one use the mystic's disciplines as a regular and bonus action in the same turn, or is it like spells?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: December 20, 2017, 11:27:49 am »

I was thinking of giving the Mr Meeseeks the stats of a sentient wax golem. On summoning it gains Int 10, 8 skill ranks, and two feats (usually skill focus feats), with skills determined by the task it was summoned to perform. Thus a Mr Meeseeks summoned to assist a Craft check would have a +7 bonus from 4 ranks and a skill focus feat. It would function in all other ways as the Unseen Servant spell, unable to attack or take any offensive actions in combat.

For the backfire risk, I'd thought I'd add a 1% cumulative chance every hour after summoning one that it goes berserk unless it's fulfilled the request it was summoned to perform, gaining the benefits of a barbarian's rage, regeneration 5 that cannot be removed, and an uncontrollable desire to kill it's summoner, after which it disappears. Thus, summoning one for a day would have a 24% chance of mental break.

If you summon more than one at a time, I'd figured their chance of going berserk stacks, so having ten active means a cumulative 10% chance of them going berserk after one hour, or 100% chance after 10 hours.

Edit: Also, this.

Beware, if you're rolling for it to go berserk every hour, that probability doesn't work out quite like you'd expect.  If you left a flat 1% chance to go crazy every hour that didn't increase, then every hour you roll the dice and there's a chance it goes insane.

So, first hour, 99% chance you're fine.  Second hour, 99% x 99% chance = 98.01%.  Then 97.02%, and so on.  After 24 hours (and 24 rolls), you'd have a 78.56% chance of it not having gone berserk.

If you increase the odds of it going insane every hour, it deteriorates much more rapidly.  99% of being fine, then 99% x 98% = 97.02%, then 94.1%, 90.3%, 95.8%, 80.7%, 75.03%, etc.

Not to mention it's a lot of rolling percentile dice if you do roll every hour.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: December 21, 2017, 01:26:45 am »

Yeah, it's more of an n+1% chance increase. 0% within the first hour, 1% after 1 hour, 2% after 2 hours, etc. Roll every hour, add all Mr Meeseeks together to get total.

Anyhow, I've come up with a quest line that includes this artifact as a possible reward. One of my players took about 8 Wisdom drain last session, and since their cleric's player is away for Christmas visiting family, they're stuck without anyone able to heal this.

Since they're in town for awhile, I've created a three option quest. The local church of Abadar, Lawful Neutral god of money, will either heal them for an extortionate amount of gold, or for free if they can bring an outsider that's held in a summoning circle within the local temple of Nethys (it's an elemental called a Crystallis that petrifies creatures into crystal and valuable gemstones). The temple of Nethys, True Neutral god of magic, creation and destruction, refuses to heal them unless they destroy a cursed mirror owned by a witch that lives on the outskirts of town. The local witch, a Chaotic Neutral NPC who has powerful fey allies, offers to heal them if they rob the local church of Abadar's vault and retrieve an artifact for her, one that summons unlimited servants (the Mr Meeseeks box).

Don't know if they'll take the quest bait, but I'm prepped for it anyhow.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:28:28 am by Jimmy »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: December 21, 2017, 09:56:05 am »

Got a question for the hive-mind tabletop players here: How badly as a player could you break a game if you were given a box that summons a humanoid creature on command?

Basically, I'm thinking of adding a Mr Meeseeks box to my Pathfinder game, but I wanna anticipate how badly things could go wrong beforehand.
I think there's a massive risk that you're ignoring which is bigger than any mechanical concern, which is that the players will realize your inspiration and the rest of the session will go down the toilet as the party devolves into a mess of shitty referential humor and talking about shows. The Monty Python problem, as it were.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: December 21, 2017, 10:34:45 am »

The Monty Python problem, as it were.
Hehe, clever reference.  I should bring that up at DND Saturday- oh no it's memetic
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: December 21, 2017, 01:26:01 pm »

I think there's a massive risk that you're ignoring which is bigger than any mechanical concern, which is that the players will realize your inspiration and the rest of the session will go down the toilet as the party devolves into a mess of shitty referential humor and talking about shows. The Monty Python problem, as it were.
I don't know the source material, but couldn't you just have it be a classic genie, instead of a wax golem, without the possibly game-devolving reference?

Apparently, according to the errata, a Pact of the Chain warlock must use his reaction if he
wants his familiar to attack. Why should this be weaker than a regular wizard's Find Familiar spell? After all, the errata doesn't state the Find Familiar spell is changed.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:13:23 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: December 22, 2017, 02:03:19 am »

Apparently, according to the errata, a Pact of the Chain warlock must use his reaction if he
wants his familiar to attack. Why should this be weaker than a regular wizard's Find Familiar spell? After all, the errata doesn't state the Find Familiar spell is changed.
Normally the familiar from Find Familiar is not allowed to attack (from the spell description: "A familiar can't attack, but it can take other actions as normal"), the Pact of the Chain is an exception to that.

Also, it's the familiar that uses its reaction when you want it to attack, not the Warlock (though the Warlock does have to forgo one of their own attacks to let the familiar attack).

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: December 22, 2017, 06:40:36 pm »

They fed weird goo to their own crewmember? How wasteful! You should only do that sort of thing to enemies. I mean, I assume they must have enough of themselves left to man the ship, but not having minions means you have to do all the ship crewing duties yourself. Not to mention they're now down a meat shield.

It sounds like your players are doing a terrible job of being evil, and you should shame them for that.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: December 22, 2017, 07:19:50 pm »

A scientist can only test on the subjects he has.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: December 30, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »

Stars Without Number: Revised Edition has been released, along with a free version, just like the original version had.

Also, like the original version, the free version has all that's needed to play and/or run the game, while the paid version has non-essential extra rules and stuff. I won't bother to list the exact differences between versions, as they're already listed in the description of both versions, but if do you have any questions about what's in the paid version content, I can answer them since I already own a copy since I backed the Kickstarter for this new version, and therefore got access to beta versions earlier and was notified of it's release when I got the final version today.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 623