Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849081 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5775 on: September 18, 2018, 02:23:04 am »

I mean, *they're* running 1hp per level, because we rolled 1d20 then had the option to trade for a hidden d20.  And they both got wrekt for the second most important stat in ANY build.

Also TBH I could see including the poison damage for Massive Damage rules, but I definitely wouldn't apply the crit multiplier to it.

Still, for my partymembers, it's only the damage which "remains" after HP/tempHP/abjuration stuff which needs to be double their MaxHPs.  So if we keep enough buffer on them, and play smart, maybe they'll survive to graduate fourth year session.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: September 18, 2018, 02:27:30 am »

fourth year... LOL

Now I imagine a horrible "Hogwarts GONE HORRIBLY WRONG" campaign, with level 1 wizards ALL AROUND. LOL.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: September 18, 2018, 05:55:49 am »

I only learned about it from Googling.  Basically in "official" games you generally get the players hand book "plus one" other book.  Like Volo's guide to monsters (if you want to play a weird race, IIRC) or xanthumgum's guide to everything.

Can you do like the Bible and choose a compendium of several books?
Love, scriver~

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: September 18, 2018, 06:14:58 am »

the most dangerous thing in 5e combat is a sneaky wizard hiding in the back with Magic Missile to insta-kill you as soon as you go down (each magic missile fails a saving throw, hits automatically and there's 1d4+1 or more )
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: September 18, 2018, 07:53:15 am »

I only learned about it from Googling.  Basically in "official" games you generally get the players hand book "plus one" other book.  Like Volo's guide to monsters (if you want to play a weird race, IIRC) or xanthumgum's guide to everything.

Can you do like the Bible and choose a compendium of several books?
Even in casual games, it's poor form to show up with a wheelbarrow full of books, claiming they're all necessary to play your character. The Adventurer's League rules are meant to create a "simple" character.

Still, PHB+1 does get pretty restrictive for us with our pegasus-riding kobold storm sorcerers.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: September 18, 2018, 08:49:23 am »

5e isn't 3.5. I've got no problems pretty much allowing all official sources and I think my old DM felt similarly - there's only three/four big books anyway.

Plus, lizardman shepherd druid. It was a fun character even though I only used it for a session.

Also, I left my RPG group for reasons unrelated to that. The only one actively recruiting in the area. Go me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:30:06 am by Mephisto »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: September 18, 2018, 10:30:48 am »

The real controversy is whether or not you should use any of the Unearthed Arcana... Hint: You shouldn't.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: September 18, 2018, 10:57:37 am »

Any? Sure, depending on group. All? Sure, depending on group.

Side mini-rant?

"No aarakocra" is a sign of questionable DM status. In a world where greater than 50% of our enemies have ranged attacks and spells can just tell you "nope, you introduce yourself to the ground", "being mid-air with no/little armor" is a non-issue.

<ChangeMyMind.svg>

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: September 18, 2018, 11:09:33 am »

No Aarakocra. And while we're at it, no Tabaxi, and no goddamn Tortles!

Kenku only barely make the grade, and that's purely by virtue of being an oversized pirate captain's parrot.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: September 18, 2018, 12:35:02 pm »

What about No Aaracokra Barbarians and/or No Aaracokra Swashbucklers?

I'm all for No Dragonborn though
Love, scriver~

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: September 18, 2018, 04:06:19 pm »

Humans only

No Thief.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: September 18, 2018, 05:37:04 pm »

Authenticity and immersion demand that all players play human fighting-men, 3d6 in order, no "magic" nonsense, and you have to roll to determine what permanent disabilities you have developed before the age of 21.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: September 18, 2018, 05:42:03 pm »

Authenticity and immersion demand that all players play human fighting-men, 3d6 in order, no "magic" nonsense, and you have to roll to determine what permanent disabilities you have developed before the age of 21.
Sooo... WHFRP?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: September 18, 2018, 06:02:55 pm »

Sooo... WHFRP?
What is this, kindergarten? I only play the finest zine-derived systemless settingless diceless numberless wordless settings written by neo-Nazi Discord servers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: September 18, 2018, 06:18:10 pm »

Sooo... WHFRP?
What is this, kindergarten? I only play the finest zine-derived systemless settingless diceless numberless wordless settings written by neo-Nazi Discord servers.
Oh, F.A.T.A.L. then.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 623