Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 383665 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- We ♥ Puppies!
« Reply #600 on: August 29, 2015, 08:15:19 pm »

What is your guadiness exactly?
His Gaudiness is the great leader of the Dwarven Nation and stalwart defender of said Nation against the Holistic Spawn, of course!

Correct.

New character sketch for the Archivist is in progress, and trust me when I say that I am saving this one obsessively.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 29, 2015, 10:03:35 pm »

Question: What are our deities? I need it for the last line of my shitty story.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 29, 2015, 10:10:40 pm »

The Torrid Lash, Dwarves
 Worship List
  Likot, deity: jewels, wealth
  ˘k Cradledsave, deity: fortresses, earth, caverns, mountains
  Rafum, deity: luck
  Zustash the Last Year, deity: longevity
  AthnŚr Reignsquare, deity: discipline
  Tumam, deity: justice
  Arzes, deity: storms
  Vumom, deity: speech
  Thoth Cloudyrains the Cave of Auras, deity: the sky, the stars, the night
  St‰lmith Stylecontrol, deity: games, persuasion, poetry
  Geles, deity: hospitality
  Lim the Shady Riddles, deity: torture, darkness
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 29, 2015, 10:22:04 pm »

I'm pretty damned rusty on the writing front. Unspoilered because nobody said it had to be. Bootpaint obviously doesn't exist in-game, but is located somewhere (relatively speaking,) close to Clobbermountains, but off the beaten path compared to the in-game places.

Bootpaint was a healthy village, centred around a deep-running set of gold and copper mines. The population, of roughly 200, had received little word of wars or the goings on of the world. Much of it was built above ground, mainly so that the humans who often purchased large amounts of copper would feel comfortable, and because the village dwarves never felt they needed a mountain between them and the wilderness. The 20-strong militia had kept the lands clear of wolves and other predators and the Army kept the worse things at bay.

But as of late, patrols from the army had begun to pass by. Platoons of dwarves patrolling the land for beasts, banshees, and "other things." One morning, a battered and dying dwarf stumbled into the village. His mail was split in places, helmeted dented, shield cracked and near falling to pieces, and his axe blade chipped beyond semblance of usefulness. He bled profusely from wounds in his lower body and shield arm.

The closest at hand to see the dwarf was a mine foreman. He rushed over to the wounded soldier, and asked what had happened.

"What on earth did this?" The Foreman asked in total shock of the dwarf's injuries.

The injured soldier leaned on the miner for support, and told him weakly that "They're coming... Ambushed... All gone..."

"Who?" The other dwarf asked, becoming frightened. "Who is coming?"

The soldier could only say "Them." And gesturing behind him. The Foreman dragged him to the inn (which often served the village as it's hospital. Unfortunately, as he reached lay the soldier down in a backroom cot, he found the dwarf had died, and it was only now that he realized he had trailed blood all the way from the edge of town.

It wasn't long before most of the town was gathered at the inn, trying to figure out who exactly "them" were. His wounds, they had concluded, would have taken the likes of human or goblin greatswords and war axes to inflict.

One of the last to arrive however, was an old dwarf. He had what appeared to be many long scars on the left side of his face, and was blind in that eye. He bore a set of steel mail and leather scale, with a heavy iron helm decorated with yak bone inlays of crossed swords and a skull with a chip in it on the front.

The old dwarf had no name as far as anyone knew. He was long and gray in beard, and his armor showed numerous signs of hastily done patch-job, with leather sewn to the mail in places it had been pierced or broken while the back of his helm had an iron plate riveted to it (likely to hide a hole that had been more or less hammed to shape with the plate.) On his hip hung a bronze blade in a sheath decorated with the bones of what he called "foul horrors," while around his neck were misshapen teeth on a copper chain. The bones on his blade-cover, nevermind the tooth necklace, unnerved most of the population, leading some to believe he might have been raised by goblins or maybe humans.

This dwarf, with battered armor, was simply called "The Captain." Nobody knew how old he was, or where had come from. Just that he had come from "another part of the Reaches. Just come to see how things were," roughly 40 years ago, when Bootpaint was founded.

Outside, the militia had already mustered on his orders.

"Let me see the body." The old soldier said, shoving past the small crowd still in the tavern.

He looked it over, lifted and shifted mail aside. After a few moments inspecting the deep gashes and what looked to the unlearned like wounded inflicted by arrows that had been yanked free, he went into the front part of the inn.

"Where's Mayor Kib?" He asked aloud.

"Right here Captain, what is it?" The Mayor announced as she wormed her way through the other folk.

The Captain grabbed her and spoke quietly. "Woodcutting axes, picks. Bring several. Grab whatever food and drink the civilians can, and get them into the mines. Have a mason block the entry."

"Er, Captain, you'll have to expl-" Kib started, when The Captain cut her off.

"No, I don't. Get the people to safety. Bring a time piece and compass, and leave at least one pick. If the militia doesn't come for you within a day, make north for the Homelands through the caves." He let go of her and promptly walked away, once again pushing his way out.

The Captain stepped off the Inn's porch and was now amid his small force.

The militia was clad in a uniform set of leather scale body armor, and bronze mail, with iron helmets bearing a similar symbol. Some bore axes and hammers, 4 carried crossbows and well-made copper bolts, and one dwarf even carried a human-made iron flail, but most carried a sword of iron or steel at their hip. Most were fairly young compared to their leader, the youngest no older than 15, while the oldest was only in their 30s. They had grown up listening to The Captain's war stories, about battles against banshees and goblins. The had seen him strike down countless bears and wolves alone, and it was only a few months ago did they finally work up the nerve to join him in protecting their home.

"Orders sir?" His Sergeant asked, giving him a quick nod.

The Captain just grunted and asked "Where'd that soldier come from?"

A younger militadwarf pointed to the west part of the village. "Thatways Cap."

The Old dwarf grunted and started heading that way. Without a word, the militia followed.

It didn't take long for them to hear the bustle and see a trickle of dwarves going into the mines with barrels of food and an assortment of boxes and tools, likely to make temporary or permanent shelter, and to defend themselves from the likes of trolls and giant olms.

As they passed beyond the edge of the village, things became strangely quite, save for the soft rattle of chain armor and the crunch of leaves and other forest litter.

They kept marching, the militiadwarves muttering amongst themselves about where the animals were. And soon, the began finding signs of a battle: A shattered sword, an axe buried in a tree with its handle snapped, a crumpled helm, ample disturbed foliage, bolts lodged in trees, what appeared to be severed limbs belonging to something that might've been burnt. And then they hit the brook.

Roughly thirty dwarves were found, dead, amid a great tangle of equipment from their camp, blood, and severed remains. There was an equal number of burnt husks, and teeth, good gods the teeth! There were also strange lumps of black rock, possibly obsidian, laying beside some particularly mangled husks.

"Mes umid obur dimol..." The Captain said, raising a hand to halt the militia. They oft spoke the old tongue in the field, to help confuse anyone who might be listening that wasn't friend to them. The militia drew their weapons, a collective rasp of 9 swords being drawn was akin to a strange hissing chorus. The relatively inexperienced militia tried to hide their fear, but the scene left all but the bravest among them shaking.

Then, they appeared. 11 in all, most injured. Some were riddled with crossbow bolts, 5 were missing one or both hands, or one or both arms, and one had dragged itself out of the treeline, lacking legs and trailing its intestines.

"Nom erlin!" Gasped one solider. His sentiment was shared by all but The Captain.

Spawn.

The only charred, be-clawed abomination that still had all its limbs was an impressive sight, almost as tall as a human, with a bolt lodged in its head and chest. It pointed at the Captain as he drew his battered bronze blade with a gnarled claw. To the younger warriors' collective horror, it spoke. In the old tongue.

In a horridly strangled, hissing voice, it said "Zanorrit, fotthor momuz!" Why had it called The Captain "Heartcutter?"

If one were to look closely at the bone runes set in the fuller of his sword, on could see it plainly. It was not The Captain's name, but his sword's. However, to the Spawn, it may as well have been his name. He calmly replied "Nay, momuz." The meaning to a dwarf was clear: This forest would not be his tomb, but the spawn's.

The spawn screeched, and its minions replied in kind. It then spoke again, further scaring the young dwarves.

"Gedor amur mes! Shaketh meng usal!" With that, it charged.

The Captain braced himself, and took in a deep breath, reversing the hold on Heartcutter. The spawn closed the gap, but before it know what had happened, it had bounced off his shield, and he was stomping vigorously on the creature's chest and maw. It snapped shut on the dwarf's leg, but to it's utter horror, it failed to penetrate his bronze-plated boots! The Captain raised his sword, and brought it down on the snapping creature's hand-claw as it threw it up to try and break the old soldier's ribs, pinning it to the beast's neck as he paralyzed it with the blow.

A twist, pull, and another strike, and the Spawn was dead, it's heart shattered in its chest.

The other Spawn seemed hesitant now. They had clearly expected their leader to mode the clearing with this old and gray dirt man.

Pulling his boot and sword free, he pointed at the confused monsters, sword first.

"Savot emen tol ellest! Umom mes rash!"

The militia gripped their weapons, some even smiling as they heard the ancient language spoken.

"Ellest! Semor!?" The Captain shouted.

"Semor!" The militia replied in unison!

"Lisid! Umom mes, ontak tol umid." The Captain bellowed in response. At the first word, the militia charged, and the Spawn did so in kind, screeching incoherently. Except the legless one. it couldn't make noise through its own guts.

The Captain lead the charge, shield first, into the horde. Rafum willing, they would claim victory with little loss of dwarven life.

Have shitty story, starring a Blademaster by the simple designate of "The Captain." I like the idea of dwarven soldiers using their native/old language on patrol and during small battles, hence the use here. And yes, I had to skim over. I'll leave the outcome to you guys until I feel like it/you guys want a follow up. And hell, I even characterized the Spawn some!

Fun fact, Rafum means Coincidence in dwarven. I'm also open to theories on The Captain.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 29, 2015, 11:05:33 pm »

I'll read Splint's story later; I just have to get this posted right away:

Spoiler: The Royal Archivist (click to show/hide)

I incorporated the straps, dark glasses, and sidelock from Lisard's design.
Also, her skin isn't supposed to be quite so bluish; I just did it to harmonise with her clothes a bit better.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 29, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »

The Archivist doesn't seem like she'd look out of place in a modded Skyrim to me...

But I approve!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 29, 2015, 11:51:03 pm »

The Archivist doesn't seem like she'd look out of place in a modded Skyrim to me...

But I approve!

I know a lot of people have a massive hateboner for Skyrim for some reason and I know a lot of mods suck so I'm not sure how offended I should be at the first paragraph. Ahaha.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 30, 2015, 12:31:48 am »

She looks like a spellcaster with a fancy robe-type outfit/armor is what I was getting at. Not something you'd see in the base game Looks like it might be the thalmor robes meshed with something else to me,) but not so outlandish it wouldn't work as a mod for a more "pure" mage.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 30, 2015, 12:55:22 am »

She looks like a spellcaster with a fancy robe-type outfit/armor is what I was getting at. Not something you'd see in the base game Looks like it might be the thalmor robes meshed with something else to me,) but not so outlandish it wouldn't work as a mod for a more "pure" mage.

No lie, If someone mods the Royal Archivist's robes into Skyrim and gives it a retardedly-high Conjuration bonus I will love them forever

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 30, 2015, 12:56:09 am »

To be honest, I was expecting glasses-on-a-stick librarian, but EEEEVIL.  Not, well, sunglasses of involuntary coolness.
The robes kind of look odd, frankly...Eh.  They appear video-gamey.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  Not necessarily a good thing.  However, the Archivist seems, so far, to be much less into pretentious.  Judging by characterization, not necessarily art.
I probably would have gone for a simple (ha ha) blue-robe-with-like-a-tabard-or-something. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:01:02 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 30, 2015, 01:01:12 am »

No lie, If someone mods the Royal Archivist's robes into Skyrim and gives it a retardedly-high Conjuration bonus I will love them forever
The mods im running contain somewhat similar clothes. All Id really need to do is enchant the thing... I cant really mod things in tho, only build houses and caves.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:03:16 am by Taupe »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 30, 2015, 01:11:10 am »

To be honest, I was expecting glasses-on-a-stick librarian, but EEEEVIL.  Not, well, sunglasses of involuntary coolness.
The robes kind of look odd, frankly...Eh.  They appear video-gamey.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  Not necessarily a good thing.  However, the Archivist seems, so far, to be much less into pretentious.  Judging by characterization, not necessarily art.
I probably would have gone for a simple (ha ha) blue-robe-with-like-a-tabard-or-something.

She kind of needs the huge shades; the less of her face is visible, the less chances there are of someone being all "wait WTF why do you look like a twenty-year-old, aren't you like a hundred and two??"

She thinks of herself as being a higher form of life than mere mortals (although I haven't really touched on that aspect of her yet), so I'd actually imagine her to like dressing impressively on some level, although she'd just as soon wear normal clothes since, really, what does she have to prove to these short-lived insects we call dwarves? However, her station somewhat demands that she dress accordingly.

I do concede that the robe design is a clusterfuck, lol. Wanted it to look fancyish but a fashionista I am not.

Incidentally...

They appear video-gamey.

I'm not sure how to tell you this but we are in fact playing a video game here although I do understand and agree with your point

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 30, 2015, 02:41:12 am »

Man, she looks SWEET. I love how you turned some unintended parts of my rusty design into something... well, thoughtful. Awesome picture you got there.

I'd like to feature her (using you design as a reference) in more pictures of mine, but now I'm slightly ashamed I won't be able to draw her that good.

Also, loving them locks. :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:48:42 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 30, 2015, 03:22:57 am »

Man, she looks SWEET. I love how you turned some unintended parts of my rusty design into something... well, thoughtful. Awesome picture you got there.

I'd like to feature her (using you design as a reference) in more pictures of mine, but now I'm slightly ashamed I won't be able to draw her that good.

Also, loving them locks. :D

Eeee thank you. As far as "them locks" goes... I'm wondering if I was subconsciously inspired by Garnet from Steven Universe, who also has big, dark hair, plump lips, and opaque glasses (worth nothing that I'd originally conceived of her hair as not having the long sidelock or flyaways, which would have made her resemble Garnet even more)

And please do draw more pictures!!! I get super happy when people draw and write things.

Spoiler: Art Wank (click to show/hide)

@Splint:

I read your piece and I loved basically everything about it except the dwarf-speak, which just made me feel annoyed that I didn't actually know what they were saying. Might have been better to just make the first one in Dwarven and translate the rest while indicating they were still speaking Old Dwarven.

E:

Might do sketches of Blackie and the Captain if their respective owners are okay with it. Maybe. If I feel like it.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 30, 2015, 03:44:20 am »

Not only I am totally ok with this, but I will scream like a fangirl if you do so. Really, I would enjoy to see your variant of Blackie, although I hardly provided any images of him.

Also, in this context blood magic stuff is not OP. I mean, it's just the thing that righteous elves try to avoid, like setting trees on fire or stabbing animals with sharp things. Blackwood just wasn't too picky about methods he'd used to archieve his goal.

@Splint

>theories on the captain

Is he a friend of the transdimentional twin of a dwarven incarnation of a clone of a relative of a long-lost avatar of Fischers right boot?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:56:37 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 140