Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: (ISG) Goofy Rougelike IV: Ghoul Tinkerer  (Read 11024 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Goofy Rougelike IV: Ghoul Tinkerer
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 04:44:57 am »

I have a strategy for our new drunken tank: basically, have everything aggro him until he gets down to below 50% health. Then he gets two attacks. Get him drunk so he regens HP, but keep him fighting so he stays in his sweet spot.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 03:07:15 pm »

This guy.
I like this guy, respect, Brah.
I'm so sorry Raphina.

"Back at you man. Back at you."

"...No accounting for taste I guess."

+1 Chemistry between Execute/Dumbo.exe and Urist!
-1 Chemistry between Execute/Dumbo.exe and Ralphina!

I have a strategy for our new drunken tank: basically, have everything aggro him until he gets down to below 50% health. Then he gets two attacks. Get him drunk so he regens HP, but keep him fighting so he stays in his sweet spot.

"Sounds like a party! I'll bring the booze and the beatdown if you bring the tunes!"

"I also like this plan. For different reasons. Its not like these wasps can kill mortals regardless of their HP or anything..."

+1 Chemistry between Cheesecake and Urist

Chapter 1: The Descent

Turn 8

"Alright, since it looks like Urist is remaining among the living, I'm going to mark the prospecting location on the map for you all using Urist's Pog...

It is only two rooms away, and wont require going out of your way to reach. You can thank the RNG."

"Alright! Can we get to fighting the bugs now?"

"Sure thing!

*ahem*

The party, lead by their brave new dwarven thrall, advances down the road until they eventually encounter the wasps they have been warned about. The bugs perks up and become aggressive as you approach. A battle is at hand!

...But before that, I'd like to take care of a few housekeeping items. Firstly, I'm have trouble finding good battlemaps available under a creative commons or similar license, and I have resorted to just grabbing whatever off of google images. I'd rather not be doing this if I don't have to, so I will be rewarding anybody artistic and willing enough to provide me with maps of their own creation that fit the current dungeon.

Secondly, I have boosted Rot and Ralphina's movement up to 4m per round, to both speed up the game and to allow them to be faster than the heavily armored Urist without making the dwarf stupidly slow.

With that out of the way, the party awaits your commands as usual.

Party Information and Bestiary:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Battlemap:

Town/Dungeon Map:

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 06:15:10 pm »

Move in closer till both Rot and Ralphina are adjacent to Urist. Avoid melee as much as possible. Fire at all wasps, don't try to kill them.

Reason for this is that when a wasp dies, they give a bonus to every other wasp. Lower their health so that we can kill them in one or two blows altogether.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 06:32:23 pm »

Move in closer till both Rot and Ralphina are adjacent to Urist. Avoid melee as much as possible. Fire at all wasps, don't try to kill them.

Reason for this is that when a wasp dies, they give a bonus to every other wasp. Lower their health so that we can kill them in one or two blows altogether.
+1.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 06:43:42 pm »

"If you read the sheet it says 'an ally' not 'all allies', so only one wasp will be getting boosted when we kill one. Which is a good thing, as I'd need to roll minimum damage with my elephant gun not to kill one... Most harmless monsters you can find on the road, unless you happen to be susceptible to their venom."

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2015, 06:53:46 pm »

Right. In that case, I retract my +1. Urist, back up to behind Rot and Ralphina, I understand that you want to party, but those wasps are, like, total downers brah. Rot and Ralphina, step in front of Urist so it's less likely he gets stung, and open fire starting with whichever one is closest at the time.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 08:35:39 pm »

Why would you put the tank behind?
Dying of laughter?

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 09:12:23 pm »

Because he is vunerable to the poison, whereas Rot and Ralphina are immune. He can hide behind until a wasp can get into melee range. In pretty much any other situation, I'd have Urist on the front lines.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2015, 10:25:48 pm »

Oh! Good point, man. I forgot undead are immune to poison :P +1 to nuclearwhale, but Urist should still be adjacent to the pair of them so he can block incoming attacks.
Dying of laughter?

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2015, 10:35:27 pm »

Oh! Good point, man. I forgot undead are immune to poison :P +1 to nuclearwhale, but Urist should still be adjacent to the pair of them so he can block incoming attacks.
No point in being adjacent, Urists guardian ability only works on ranged attacks, which the wasps do not have.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 10:38:48 pm »

Hm. I guess Urist's time to shine will be in another room I guess. Disregard having to move Urist adjacent to the pair.

Why does that one wasp have a candy-cane square around it?
Dying of laughter?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2015, 11:39:07 pm »

Hello everyone, just wanted to post to say PTW, also this:

+1.
+1
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2015, 01:39:41 am »

Why does that one wasp have a candy-cane square around it?

"Umm... that just means I forgot to deselect the last pog I moved in the map editor before taking the screencap. Ignore that when you see it, I bet it happens alot."

Chapter 1: The Descent

Turn 9

Urist, back up to behind Rot and Ralphina, I understand that you want to party, but those wasps are, like, total downers brah. Rot and Ralphina, step in front of Urist so it's less likely he gets stung, and open fire starting with whichever one is closest at the time.

"You heard em. Assume the formation."

"...Fine. I'll help cover Urist."

"Oh! Oh! Are we huddling up for the squad cheer? I got this! *ahem* KNIGHTS! OF! MAL! TAR! GO! FIGHT! WIN!!!!!!!"

"Not exactly what the formation is for brah... Now OPEN FIRE!!!!

At the wasps please, Ralphina."

"...Sure, perhaps I can provoke one into attacking me so I can enter frenzy and have an excuse to hurt him."

*Thwip!* *Ba-LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!*

"The party assumes a huddle to draw potential Melee attacks from Urist, before the two undead Open Fire!

Rot lets off his shot first, aiming his complex bow at the bug who has advanced the furthest forward! The bolt connects with the bug's abdomen, striking several vital organs and causing the wasp to dramaticly spiral to the ground and die!

The dying wasp releases a cloud of pheromones that enrages the next closest insect, but before the buffed bug can take advantage of the situation its head is reduced to a cloud of greenish mist by a slug from Ralphina's gun! This second victim is too far from its allies to buff them at its time of death.

The remaining wasps fly forward and...

Crap... umm... I spaced this encounter out poorly. Only the closest wasp can reach melee with either Rot or Ralphina next turn, and that is only if you are all dumb enough to kill the one behind it and give it a buff first... The lone wasp on its own needs three rounds to reach you...

Unless you miss, or intentionally want to let when into melee range so you can try and infect it or something, you should be able to kill them all before they reach you. Tell you all what, if you let me spice up this encounter and make it a bit more difficult for y'all, I'll throw in an extra surprise reward at the end. Otherwise, let me know if you want to fast forward through a few turns of shooting wasps, or if you'd like to dick around a bit and try to infect one or something.

Party Information and Bestiary:

Battlemap:

Town/Dungeon Map:

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2015, 07:00:50 am »

Fast-forward where we win. Then get to the sooper-special surprise fight!
Dying of laughter?

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2015, 08:11:29 am »

Fast-forward where we win. Then get to the sooper-special surprise fight!
+1. If this isn't an option, then just fast forward without the special challenge.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8