Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686892 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #330 on: October 11, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »

Hmm, that indicates they plan on different races having different locomotion mechanics, something I thought was brilliant about SotS.
They already stated there will be three forms of travel that you can pick at the start (and gets randomized for the AI): "lanes" like SotS Humans, No FTL but can build teleporters like SotS Hivers and Warhammer 40k style Warp travel (including dangers like the "natives" deciding to attack you and such), IIRC.

There has to be a 40k mod for this game.
There surely will be one.
It will be fucking amazing proably.

... H-heresy?
The hereticalness has yet to be determined.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #331 on: October 11, 2015, 04:01:15 pm »

Hmm, that indicates they plan on different races having different locomotion mechanics, something I thought was brilliant about SotS.
They already stated there will be three forms of travel that you can pick at the start (and gets randomized for the AI): "lanes" like SotS Humans, No FTL but can build teleporters like SotS Hivers and Warhammer 40k style Warp travel (including dangers like the "natives" deciding to attack you and such), IIRC.

... H-heresy?
Woah woah, stick to the law brother. Everyone is a heretic in the eyes of the Emperor until proven otherwise.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #332 on: October 11, 2015, 04:17:40 pm »

... H-heresy?
Woah woah, stick to the law brother. Everyone is a heretic in the eyes of the Emperor until proven otherwise.
It's hard to dispatch Inquisitorial investiagion teams to something that doesn't exist yet... not that it stopped Inqisitors from before, but eh, right now Ordo Chronos Inquisitors are all too busy killing some sentient salt-shakers that are hell-bent on genocide.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 11, 2015, 04:26:26 pm »

... H-heresy?
It's hard to dispatch Inquisitorial investiagion teams to something that doesn't exist yet... not that it stopped Inqisitors from before, but eh, right now Ordo Chronos Inquisitors are all too busy killing some sentient salt-shakers that are hell-bent on genocide.
Would those be better or worse than whatever they were killing before?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 11, 2015, 04:46:15 pm »

The only thing heretical is that quote pyramid you've got going there. Seriously, you guys don't need to quote the thing right above you.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 11, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »

Theres been worse ones.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 11, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »

I know, I've been partially responsible for worse ones. Just trying to stop it from getting out of hand.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 11, 2015, 08:32:30 pm »

Yeah, the forum doesn't like when we get pyramids going. Clearly a sign of alien interference... or something.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 11, 2015, 09:00:06 pm »

Yeah, the forum doesn't like when we get pyramids going. Clearly a sign of alien interference... or something.

Yeah! A sign of HERESY!

But back on the topic.

I am more interested in the governing mechanics once you have your empire/dominion/hive/democracy (Bah! Filthy peasants they think they can choose their leaders!) going on.

Will we get a Vicky 2 mechanic? A EU4? CK2? HOI3? Perhaps a mix of all? Something entirely different?

Because for me, combat, exploration and governing mechanics are what matters the most in a 4x game.

I mean, it's nice that I can design my ship, SoTS, or that I can build and fight with a massive armada, SoaSE but governing my empire feels... bland.

The empire mechanics in DW are great if somewhat a bit daunting for a new player.

One of the goods things about Endless Space is that empire management actually matters.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 11, 2015, 11:16:37 pm »

Quote pyramids are much like hat-tricks in soccer (football for you Europeans and 'Strayans), to get one requires skill, teamwork, and luck. They're a milestone in your forum career, and they let other Bay12ers know you're a top class poster.

EDIT: I am worried in extremis that they will somehow simplify mechanics, which is the ultimate bane of my existence. This game better be a complicated mix of HOI, CKII, and Vicky.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:18:19 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 12, 2015, 01:43:40 am »

The thing I liked most about Vicky2 was the way policies directly affected the way you played. If you want to micromanage the economy you need to go Commie and Planned Economy; if you prefer to ignore the economy you need to go Liberal Capitalist and Laissez-Faire. So the political framework had an actual effect on the way you play instead of being just bonus to something and malus to something else.

This kind of actual effect to the way you play would be nice to see in Stellaris as well.

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 12, 2015, 01:03:23 pm »

Today's Dev Diary deals with travel methods!

SPESS TRAVELS

This DD shows three methods:

Warp Drive, akin to Star Trek and Warhammer 40K (may or may not contain Daemons, science is required for that), mechanics seems similar to the ones in SoaSE, but without the constrains of moving between predetermined lines, you have freedom of movement albeit slow.

Wormholes, a series of gates, in this case space stations, to connect your empire, allow you to strike anywhere but leaves your forces stranded if there is an attack on the network/gate and it takes time to create the wormhole, the larger your fleet the longer in takes.

Hyperdrive, like Star Wars, using hyperlanes to move, these are a prexisting network of lanes, it's fast but prone to ambush once the enemy figures where are you coming from, also creates strategic level chokepoints.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:05:19 pm by Azazass »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 12, 2015, 01:20:47 pm »

Wormholes sound amazing offensively.  Your fleet can appear, with no notice, deep within enemy territory.
Sounds hard to balance, but sounds like they have methods...  I'm sure the station is expensive, and the charge time could be quite long.  So, excellent if you plan ahead perfectly, but not great for responding to new situations.
Also, it says the wormholes are brief but two-way.  I wonder if that means an enemy fleet may counterattack through, if you're exceedingly unlucky.

Gotta love that teaser about potential consequences of FTL, heh.

Edit:  I haven't played Sword of the Stars, which of course is a great study in alternate FTL modes like this.  But I did play Space Empires 5, which had stable wormholes (basically spacelanes).  Late-game technology could create or even destroy those wormholes, and it was optionally possible to generate galaxies where systems started disconnected.  I wonder if Stellaris will allow modifying the hyperdrive lanes, probably as a capstone.  Maybe after dealing with the "potential consequences" of warping physics.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:25:45 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 12, 2015, 01:34:55 pm »

I will now and forever read "Hyperlanes" as Mass Relays.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 12, 2015, 01:45:06 pm »

Edit:  I haven't played Sword of the Stars, which of course is a great study in alternate FTL modes like this.  But I did play Space Empires 5, which had stable wormholes (basically spacelanes).  Late-game technology could create or even destroy those wormholes, and it was optionally possible to generate galaxies where systems started disconnected.  I wonder if Stellaris will allow modifying the hyperdrive lanes, probably as a capstone.  Maybe after dealing with the "potential consequences" of warping physics.
The Zuul basically used the same hyperdrive system as the human, just...more directly. As in, they didn't use the lanes, they tore great big interstellar holes to build their own lanes. Their own unstable lanes which took forever to do because the ship that did the tearing was slow.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 632