Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686884 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2685 on: May 27, 2016, 06:49:21 pm »

I like the uncreative trait, maybe rename it uninspired or unimaginative? Stuff like that trait or lithovore would go miles towards making the different species actually different

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2686 on: May 27, 2016, 06:51:02 pm »

I'm not sure what I think of the Precocious ones... I like to think of Traits as things that help define a species, and that give some kind of impact throughout the game. The Precocious ones are just a buff that's going to be invalidated around the mid game, if not earlier depending on luck of the draw.
Sublight as well, for the same reasons.
They're also not really examples of a racial trait... That's more a problem of Stellaris being so adamant that everyone needs to start at exactly the same position - period. It wants to be a 4x, which seems to work and is why you can't start as a Fallen Empire, but I think Paradox went a bit too far with requiring everyone to start from exactly the same position.
I think they're interesting ideas, though
I'm still waiting for that $500 DLC that lets you start out as a fragmented nation, only slightly aware that you're being watched - only to emerge into a crowded galaxy, possibly after being uplifted against your will or some shit like that

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: May 27, 2016, 07:06:57 pm »

Being adopted right out the gate by a FE could make for some interesting interactions. "We've made it into sp-!" "HELLO NEW FRIENDS ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN HOW SPACE WORKS" "But... I wanted to-" "NO"

Cue centuries of scheming and resentment.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: May 27, 2016, 07:54:16 pm »

I'm still waiting for that $500 DLC that lets you start out as a fragmented nation, only slightly aware that you're being watched - only to emerge into a crowded galaxy, possibly after being uplifted against your will or some shit like that
500 dollars? What is this, Skyrim?
People really need to stop the whole bashing on Paradox releases of Expansions when there are as big crooks as Sid Meiers or Sega.

Though what you said kinda made me think of Spore when you saw Alien ships flying about :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2689 on: May 27, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »

Being adopted right out the gate by a FE could make for some interesting interactions. "We've made it into sp-!" "HELLO NEW FRIENDS ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN HOW SPACE WORKS" "But... I wanted to-" "NO"

Cue centuries of scheming and resentment.
"GREETINGS FRIENDS, I'VE UPGRADED YOUR SPECIES"
"You what?!"
"YOU SHALL EACH LIVE A CENTURY LONGER AND REQUIRE 20% LESS NUTRITION TO FUNCTION. ALSO YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HAVE TO MOVE TO THIS DESERT PLANET WE MADE FOR YOU. YOU ARE DESERT SPECIES NOW."
"Why? Change it back! Change it back!"
"APOLOGIES YOUNG ONES, WE HAVE RUN OUT OF GENE POINTS."

500 dollars? What is this, Skyrim?
People really need to stop the whole bashing on Paradox releases of Expansions when there are as big crooks as Sid Meiers or Sega.
No, it's a bad practice and I don't like that they're adding to the list of people getting away with having guaranteed profit before they've even released a finished product

Though what you said kinda made me think of Spore when you saw Alien ships flying about :P
RIP in pes spore

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2690 on: May 27, 2016, 08:09:09 pm »

I don't think the DLC model is that bad. If it weren't for the free patches it would be atrocious though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: May 27, 2016, 08:30:08 pm »

You can always start with all Advance Start AI where you are the one late to space party and have to catch up.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: May 27, 2016, 09:19:51 pm »

You can always start with all Advance Start AI where you are the one late to space party and have to catch up.
It would be fun to let the ai have something like a twenty year advantage on you.

Imagine starting the game and realizing some other empire has already settled mars, and they contact you to say "this whole system belongs to you, except Europa. Set no foot there."

It'd be fun playing as a vassal too, I'd just be worried about getting integrated.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: May 27, 2016, 09:21:29 pm »

I don't think the DLC model is that bad. If it weren't for the free patches it would be atrocious though.
It worked in CK2 because the model was to change how a type of character worked and then getting the expansion allowed you to play as that type of character.  The actual game functioned exactly the same with or without the expansion.

But then EU4 rolled around and threw all that out the window.  Suddenly Paradox has 20 different games to balance, based on what combination of DLC a player has.

I do agree that the general policy of expansions Paradox has is pretty great.  Expansions in the old sense of the word are better than the current trends in DLC IMO.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: May 27, 2016, 10:58:04 pm »

Imagine starting the game and realizing some other empire has already settled mars, and they contact you to say "this whole system belongs to you, except Europa. Set no foot there."
I don't know how fun that'd be, but it'd be a sweet reference.  Maybe even if was a rare event that meant "yeah you should probably restart the game".

I haven't bought this yet, but I am a bit disappointed that it sounds like just another 4X.  Maybe if there was actual half-decent delegation like in CK2, instead of this apparently absurdly bad sector system.  Which I'm sure will improve in time.  I'm definitely still keeping an eye on this, planning to pick it up later.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2695 on: May 28, 2016, 01:51:43 am »

I don't know how fun that'd be, but it'd be a sweet reference.  Maybe even if was a rare event that meant "yeah you should probably restart the game".

I haven't bought this yet, but I am a bit disappointed that it sounds like just another 4X.  Maybe if there was actual half-decent delegation like in CK2, instead of this apparently absurdly bad sector system.  Which I'm sure will improve in time.  I'm definitely still keeping an eye on this, planning to pick it up later.

I'm kind of playing that game right now. There's a fallen empire right next door to my starting place, and they are friendly. I offered them a research agreement (from which they would not benefit) and they gave me a healthy one-time mineral and energy injection. Sempai LIKES me!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: May 28, 2016, 08:26:18 am »

Imagine starting the game and realizing some other empire has already settled mars, and they contact you to say "this whole system belongs to you, except Europa. Set no foot there.

Is that a reference to that Joe Haldeman series of books? Marsbound and whatnot?

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #2697 on: May 28, 2016, 08:44:02 am »

So, on a whim I decided to observe a galaxy on max speed. About 10 minutes in, I saw a new empire pop up, a primitive nation that had just gained FTL.

The location was the best part. Right slap bang in the middle of a Xenophobic Isolationist FE. They didn't last long.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: May 28, 2016, 01:00:09 pm »

Imagine starting the game and realizing some other empire has already settled mars, and they contact you to say "this whole system belongs to you, except Europa. Set no foot there.
Is that a reference to that Joe Haldeman series of books? Marsbound and whatnot?
2010 reference I think...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2699 on: May 28, 2016, 04:07:02 pm »

I kind of expected black holes and pulsars to be more interesting. If nothing else, it would be interesting if a high-level tech would give you the option to build singularity stabilizers and use black holes as cross-galactic shortcuts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 632